Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] 7 8 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think its good to show a little constraint, the old adage.. "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all," actually is based in wisdom. And thats not to say that people can't express their feelings honestly, but there is a difference between saying for example; "I didn't buy Paul McCartney's "Firemen" albums because I just can't get into them," or saying, "I would rather McCartney spend his time on his actual solo albums than do any more "Firemen" albums" and going on his forum and saying, "I bought the Firemen album in a discount bin and it really isn't worth paying more than what I got it for." Its criticism, but not constructive criticism, it borderlines on mean spiritedness. It is essentially telling other fans, that they shouldn't buy the album, because its not worth paying full price. It's like an anti-commercial, so very helpful, and I am sure the artist appreciates it. Especially when so much effort was put into making the release a special package, there really isn't anything that could be done to make the package better. Everything was updated and remastered, there is a lot of bonus material, an expanded book, etc., etc., etc. And there could be a lot riding on the success of the package, Arena Rock had to pay the licensing fees for the album, if they recoup their money and make some, they may be encouraged to do more, if not, they may be encouraged to end with this one.
This is especially a problem when the comment is only one of many negative comments, if there is a pattern of borderline mean spirited comments, then you start to get the feeling that maybe there is an agenda behind it. Maybe the person isn't just expressing a simple contrary opinion. If in almost every thread, they take the contrary position, maybe they are just trying to be contrarian. If thats the case, then the problem lies with them.

01-21-2010 09:33 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
In my honest opinion that "role" is never needed.

No, Joey's right, LOST is fair game... er... WHAT?
Really, just say what you want, add a wink and you get away with anything!

well, a contrary opinion is always welcome in my book... and i am just playing around when it come to lost, thus the wink...Wink Tongue

I know that. My comment about the wink was not directed at anyone, I just think its true.

01-21-2010 10:48 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Lamp Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I think its good to show a little constraint, the old adage.. "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all," actually is based in wisdom. And thats not to say that people can't express their feelings honestly, but there is a difference between saying for example; "I didn't buy Paul McCartney's "Firemen" albums because I just can't get into them," or saying, "I would rather McCartney spend his time on his actual solo albums than do any more "Firemen" albums" and going on his forum and saying, "I bought the Firemen album in a discount bin and it really isn't worth paying more than what I got it for." Its criticism, but not constructive criticism, it borderlines on mean spiritedness. It is essentially telling other fans, that they shouldn't buy the album, because its not worth paying full price. It's like an anti-commercial, so very helpful, and I am sure the artist appreciates it. Especially when so much effort was put into making the release a special package, there really isn't anything that could be done to make the package better. Everything was updated and remastered, there is a lot of bonus material, an expanded book, etc., etc., etc. And there could be a lot riding on the success of the package, Arena Rock had to pay the licensing fees for the album, if they recoup their money and make some, they may be encouraged to do more, if not, they may be encouraged to end with this one.
This is especially a problem when the comment is only one of many negative comments, if there is a pattern of borderline mean spirited comments, then you start to get the feeling that maybe there is an agenda behind it. Maybe the person isn't just expressing a simple contrary opinion. If in almost every thread, they take the contrary position, maybe they are just trying to be contrarian. If thats the case, then the problem lies with them.

i agree with some of that...however, there is a time when something is absolutely horrible and you want to warn your friends that it is...
such as the M8 versions of lrrh and shotgun angel? i have heard you and your brother say not to buy those..
but it's usually just a matter of opinion...sometimes i forget to throw in "i think" or "i believe" etc... and with some things, i really haven't watched or listened enough to really have an opinion.. like lost, i watched one half of one episode and said "this is dumb.."
with music, i try to really give something a chance before i decide not to like a band...like say starflyer59..there have been so many comparisions to Da that i really, really tried to like these guys...i bought like 3 different cds...and i just don't see anything great about them at all..sound like a garage band, just a few buddies getting together, but not professional musicians.. and nothing like Da..
but then again, as a wise man once said, that's just my opinion, i could be wrong.... Wink

Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by joey: 01-21-2010 11:27.

01-21-2010 11:22 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

I would say its a little different in a situation where the band itself suggests that folks might as well throw them in the trash. Big Grin

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
01-21-2010 13:55 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:
i agree with some of that...however, there is a time when something is absolutely horrible and you want to warn your friends that it is...
such as the M8 versions of lrrh and shotgun angel? i have heard you and your brother say not to buy those..

Do you see a difference in a release where everything was done right and one where the artwork and the master was screwed up?

The problems with the M8ed releases are not merely opinion or a matter of taste, they would actually take what was given them and mess it up somehow. They would cut corners and print things as cheap as they could. They would take credit for things that they didn't do.

To say, I would buy a different version of Shotgun Angel, like the original before buying the M8ed version, is warning someone that there are flaws in the master.

When it comes to the Darn Floor reissue, there is no messed up artwork, in fact the artwork was cleaned up, they didn't skimp on packaging or the booklet, in fact it was expanded, they didn't put something out with flawed sound, they actually digitally remastered from the source tapes. If anything is worth full price, if anything is worth encouraging people to buy.. its this.

Now if someone doesn't like the album, they are entitled to their opinion. But these two situations are in my honest opinion very different.

01-21-2010 15:45 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

especially on the band's website...

01-21-2010 16:11 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
quote:
quote:

well, a contrary opinion is always welcome in my book... and i am just playing around when it come to lost, thus the wink...Wink
but when someone has something negative to say about just about EVERYTHING and everybody, then i would title them a .mugs.....
wait, even james likes dfbb! so mf, where does that put you????? Shocked

Tongue

I know... right???

01-21-2010 19:09 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
quote:
quote:

well, a contrary opinion is always welcome in my book... and i am just playing around when it come to lost, thus the wink...Wink
but when someone has something negative to say about just about EVERYTHING and everybody, then i would title them a .mugs.....
wait, even james likes dfbb! so mf, where does that put you????? Shocked

Tongue

I know... right???

i was referring to mountain fan there, not anybody else... Wink

Cool
01-21-2010 19:28 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I know who you were talking about!
At least Mugs liked DFBB, so where doe that leaver the MF'er??
That was the point I was agree with!

01-22-2010 17:28 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

The best part is when you call the "MF'ers" on it and get a "Gosh! Who, me? What did I do wrong?" response. The whole routine is beyond stale.
01-25-2010 15:16 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Ahem... back on topic a bit.... I was wondering how well the reissue's doing. Has it sold more than the original release? Anyone heard of previously-non-DA-fans stumbling on the album and becoming hooked?

01-25-2010 15:26 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
Has it sold more than the original release?

Now that would be some interesting info. I'd love to see the numbers compared.
01-25-2010 15:44 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I'm sure we'll never know!

01-26-2010 18:42 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Hey dudes ... I gave DFBB my honest evaluation after I finally got it. My opinions are my own and included both positive and negative points.

Did I say I didn't like it overall?! Or is that your current opinion of me talking?! My basic recommendation is "buy it now while you can get it retail before the price goes up again".

Go back and look at what I actually wrote. Roll Eyes

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
01-28-2010 15:34 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan

the sound is an improvement over cassette transfer i made, but i wouldn't consider paying more than retail to get it just for the sound quality.

sounds like the wacky fan to me... Tongue

Cool
01-28-2010 16:11 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Yeah, whatever.

01-28-2010 18:42 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

mfer Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
finally picked this up for about $10 when i happened to think to check for it again when i was looking for something else.

the sound is an improvement over cassette transfer i made, but i wouldn't consider paying more than retail to get it just for the sound quality.

the booklet is well done. too bad it was in digipack instead of a double-CD jewel case.

haven't listened attentively to the Terry interviews but i'm glad they're on there for sure.

haven't really sat down and taken in all the other extras either.

Here is what you wrote:

You found the cd while looking for something else.

The sound improvement was not worth much to you.

Too bad it was in digipack.

You have not really listened to the interviews or the other extras.

So you really love this record, funny how I missed it.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 01-28-2010 18:58.

01-28-2010 18:53 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

...at least you guys GOT yours!!!! I am still waiting for mine since I ordered in late November - early december....

The webstore follow up form has given me no response, so looks like it's back to a PM to Jason or Eric....

I have the original on CD, so it will be interesting to compare the two!

www.smashthatcomputer.com
01-28-2010 22:15 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

We're a bit behind on email at the moment. Our grandmother passed away not long ago - that, with the holidays just really messed a lot of things up over the last couple of months.

Orders are still going out as they should, but the email is still a little overwhelming.

As a side note, our distributor for Darn Floor also lost his grandfather not long ago which kind of created a hicup in our CD deliveries for that title. Nothing major and it should be back to normal any day now. Just want to give folks a heads up. Had a lot going on.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
01-29-2010 00:01 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
finally picked this up for about $10 when i happened to think to check for it again when i was looking for something else.

the booklet is well done. too bad it was in digipack instead of a double-CD jewel case.

haven't listened attentively to the Terry interviews but i'm glad they're on there for sure.

haven't really sat down and taken in all the other extras either.

quote:
They went back to the analog masters and did a knew digital mastering for this release, the sound can't get any better than it is.

quote:
don't get me wrong. i'm not saying it sounds bad or anything. i'm not even really an audiophile. i usually listen to music in the car or house with other things going on. you can probably hear more detail with headphones. etc.

what i am saying is if someone misses the DA 20th before it sells out, i wouldn't advise paying a buncha money to get it just for the improved sound if they already have it in some other format in reasonable condition (not overly worn).

that is similar to saying i'm sure glad i waited to get this after the reissue instead of paying a lot of money for the original CD (or even LP) when i already had a cassette in decent condition i was able to transfer.

of course the extras are an additional consideration for fans that want more than the music and they seem done well at first glance.

OK, so here's a breakdown:

Positive:
sound is an improvement
booklet well done
glad Terry interviews are on there
extras seem well done at first glance

Questionable:
haven't listened to fully yet (didn't give it immediate, full attention)

Negative:
didn't get it right away after it was released
wouldn't pay more than retail since had previous cassette version
digipack vs jewel case

What the problem is, is that I am not a "rabid" DA fan and most of you are. That, along with your seemingly current negative opinion of me, limits your ability to see things objectively. I wrote my review from the standpoint of a music lover with limited funds to spend, already possessing a previous version of this release. Sorry you don't like it or agree.

Say something nice or don't say anything at all is often a good thing to go by. (I stand by my review as being balanced and explaining enough so that anyone that read it could distinguish my situation and opinions from theirs. I see no hate or spite in it.) I say take it a step further and amend the forum rules to say that no negative comments will be allowed in the review section if it bothers you that much or if it is too personally dear. I am sorry if a "non-rabid fan" review has personally offended you, or perhaps if it struck the wrong chord at a vulnerable time in your life.

and yes, believe it or not, i did pick it up as kind of an afterthought. i don't check ebay much (too tempting to buy too much stuff). sometimes after i select something non-musical to buy i think "what if" and check for music i haven't checked on in awhile. i also got a 77's "More Miserable" cassette ultra cheap this way and i'm sure glad i didn't pay big bucks for the rare CD because i have enough Roe that i wouldn't have felt justified in the expense for adding that extra sliver of his catalog to my collection. is that negative or bad? i think it is just reality.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
01-29-2010 09:15 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] 7 8 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH