Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Daniel Amos - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (33): « first ... « previous 11 12 [13] 14 15 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Daniel Amos - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary 8 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Our own carl simmons. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The genius of Taylor/DA -- and the advent of a years-long effort to complete alienate their original fan base -- at last emerged with the four albums that followed, collectively called The Alarma Chronicles. Part sci-fi series, even bigger part satire, and yet an entirely new-wave theological treatise that baldly wore its influences on its sleeve, respectively covering the irresponsibility/indifference of the Church (Alarma!), the turning of the knife inward to address the author's own irresponsibility/indifference (Doppelganger), the threat of technology against humanity or anything that looks like it (Vox Humana), and, at last, reunion with God (Fearful Symmetry)....

...the author's self-flagellation for his perceived failure in communicating the latter message resulting in what many consider the band's best (and yet worst-selling) album, Darn Floor Big Bite. Far from being an album that triumphantly sings God's praises, the music is correspondingly raw, edgy, and near-desperate in its attempts to achieve any degree of communicate, either to or from God -- "Language is weak, but I keep on speaking," Terry declares on "The Unattainable Earth." (The album's title comes courtesy of Koko the Gorilla, describing an earthquake in sign language. Terry renders the phrase a metaphor for our own inability to describe/reach God. Gee, wonder why the American Church Triumphant didn't embrace this one?)

http://burninglight.motime.com/archive/2006-03

06-11-2008 18:23 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Been playing all week in the car, the best album ever! Pleased Cool

I think this album is best for three reasons:

1) the music is startling and innovative, even after all these years.

2) The lyrics are some of Terry's most human and cryptic.
Heavily influenced by Czeslaw Milosz, Annie Dillard, St. Augustine, T. S. Eliot, and a few others I can't think of.

This is an interesting site in this subject.
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/95.../darnfloor.html

3) It's Great F**king Noise Man! Cool

06-13-2008 05:59 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've been reading Milosz lately, first time. I'm loving his insight. The book is Native Realm, basically a look at the history of Russia, Poland, Lithuania through the first part of the 1900's, through his eyes and his interpretations. Its often one sided and biased but he comments on that frequently. It is his ability to see a very large picture, from the inside, that amazes me. Clear thinking from a guy who seems to have always been thinking. I've never read any of his poetry, but hopefully this summer!

06-13-2008 10:17 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

fyi...

(for my information, I went looking him up, all this time I call him Chesh-law Mill-oash)

his name is pronounced... according to one internet source...
CHESS-wahf MEE-wosh

06-13-2008 10:27 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

THat source was the NYTimes, btw and fwiw.

06-13-2008 10:27 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
I've been reading Milosz lately, first time. I'm loving his insight.

me too! Cool

bobd

06-13-2008 11:10 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Strange Animal
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterdox
I hope the remastering really brings out a fuller sound to DFBB. I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Horrendous Disc is their masterpiece, and my only copy of DFBB is a cassette, so the sound is kind of thin and 2-dimensional.

DFBB sounds best on the vinyl version! Cool

It sounds pretty good on CD too! Pleased

DFBB is the first DA I ever bought, and it will always be my favorite. Cool

I am maybe a little bit obsessed with this album. Pleased

never! Tongue

Thanks for your support! Pleased

06-13-2008 20:49 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:

me too! Cool

That looks cool. I need to buy that! Cool

06-13-2008 20:50 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
whether DFBB is their pinnacle is a debatable thing..

Yeah, you're right. I will be happy to take your old nasty copy off your hands! Pleased

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 06-13-2008 20:56.

06-13-2008 20:56 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

http://homepage.mac.com/conrad.gempf/blo...io/profile.html

06-17-2008 01:07 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
quote:

me too! Cool

yes, yes you do........... Big Grin
well, it is a good introduction... kind of a milosz' "greatest hits"... Tongue
for someone like me, who doesn't have time to read every book individually....... Red Face

bobd

06-17-2008 11:10 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

me too! Cool

yes, yes you do........... Big Grin
well, it is a good introduction... kind of a milosz' "greatest hits"... Tongue
for someone like me, who doesn't have time to read every book individually....... Red Face

I think a good introduction book is the way to go! Pleased

06-17-2008 16:50 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Best Buy switched the Larry Norman disc to website sales only.

06-18-2008 13:59 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J

Alright, who spilled the beans and told them it was old Jesus music? For cryin' out loud, if this means DFBB ends up internet only, it'll be just one more in a long line of shin-kicks to this band.

Epic Records to DA - "Sure, we'll release 'Kalhoun' to the mass market (snicker, snicker)"
06-18-2008 15:51 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:

wow, i bought one in the local store last week.

06-18-2008 17:03 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I bought it over the internet, but I looked in our local Best Buy to see if it was in stock. It wasn't.

06-18-2008 20:13 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
quote:

Alright, who spilled the beans and told them it was old Jesus music? For cryin' out loud, if this means DFBB ends up internet only, it'll be just one more in a long line of shin-kicks to this band.

Epic Records to DA - "Sure, we'll release 'Kalhoun' to the mass market (snicker, snicker)"

Dw Stop! Shocked
Frown You're gonna make me cry! Crying

06-18-2008 20:36 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I was told it was because the stock quantity was only like 1 per store, so they just switched it to website only.

06-18-2008 23:09 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

This'll sound harsh, but if Best Buy releases DFBB website only, then ARRCO has added nothing to the equation other than the money. Much as I'm glad they're involved, there's no gain if DA goes from this site's webstore to someone else's webstore.

Disappointing.
06-19-2008 05:28 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ubique Epoque

Any website is still better than being out of print.

06-19-2008 06:14 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Pages (33): « first ... « previous 11 12 [13] 14 15 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Daniel Amos - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH