Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Daniel Amos - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (33): « first ... « previous 8 9 [10] 11 12 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Daniel Amos - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary 8 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It seems to me when Kalhoun came out they were thinking about returning to the Daniel Amos name, but they was a possibility that epic/sony was going to pick it up. Same kinda deal Cirlce Slide had, so they went with da.
I could be wrong, just what I heard somewhere.

05-28-2008 15:55 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
I always saw the Daniel Amos / DA thing as being somehow connected with Jerry. He left before Vox Humana and the prominent DA on the cover seemed to reinforce a change. The abbreviation remained right up until Motorcycle when it was back to Daniel Amos and, coincidentally, Jerry was back in the fold.

So what I'm hearing here is: Jerry is the celebrated Mr. Daniel Amos and his departure precipitated a name change, sort of like when Bachman-Turner Overdrive had to abbreviate to BTO once there were no longer any Bachmans in the group. Tongue Big Grin Cool

BTO Rocks!

05-29-2008 05:27 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

What plans do Arena Rock have in advertising and marketing Darn Floor? Just wondering, as if the label plans to just drop it in stores without a little strategy, it'll just die another silent death, only this time on a much larger scale.
05-29-2008 15:07 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Down! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
What plans do Arena Rock have in advertising and marketing Darn Floor? Just wondering, as if the label plans to just drop it in stores without a little strategy, it'll just die another silent death, only this time on a much larger scale.

Shocked Crying Frown Shocked

05-29-2008 17:25 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

As if to taunt me, Arena Rock has put up a page on their home site to herald the arrival of Da Goodness (as opposed to Da Bronx).

Goeth thou to:
Arena Rock Takes A Big Bite

Now I expect to see: their MySpace updated, ads in Alternative Press, Trouser Press, Pitchfork Media, Stereogum.com, Aversion.com and everywhere else the indie kids frequent these days (heck, it could happen).

I HAVE SPOKEN!
05-29-2008 18:43 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ubique Epoque

Re: I Have Spoken! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes, yes you have. Cool

05-29-2008 21:04 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

quote:
As if to taunt me, Arena Rock has put up a page on their home site to herald the arrival of Da Goodness (as opposed to Da Bronx).

Goeth thou to:
Arena Rock Takes A Big Bite

Now I expect to see: their MySpace updated, ads in Alternative Press, Trouser Press, Pitchfork Media, Stereogum.com, Aversion.com and everywhere else the indie kids frequent these days (heck, it could happen).

I HAVE SPOKEN!

Nice find, DwD!

Cool
Happy

05-29-2008 21:15 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Jason & Eric, has there been any talk about building a sub-site for Darn Floor, something linked to, but apart from DA.com and ARRCO? A lot of labels are doing this now for high-profile releases to get as much focus going for new items as possible.
05-30-2008 19:10 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool
quote:
Jason & Eric, has there been any talk about building a sub-site for Darn Floor, something linked to, but apart from DA.com and ARRCO? A lot of labels are doing this now for high-profile releases to get as much focus going for new items as possible.

That's a great idea! Cool

05-30-2008 19:11 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

Hadn't thought about a sub site but we did plan to do a redesign (at least a partial one) around the Darn Floor theme. The current design was loosely based on "Instruction Through Film" (and mutated for "Midget") but it is ready for a change.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-30-2008 20:51 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Sounds like a good direction. I really think you should get some testimonials up there, maybe some history about the album just to inform newcomers, yes, this is a deluxe reissue and not someone pulling your leg. "How could it be a reissue when I never heard of this guy Amos before?"

Didn't Brian Q. Newcomb do a review on Darn Floor when it came out?

I hope you'll pardon my inquisitive nature here but nothing would please me more than if, after all these years of obscurity, Darn Floor had some kinda Lazarus resurrection.
05-30-2008 21:20 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

Not sure.. looks like we only have one review on file. It was from Quincy's newspaper, but he didn't write it.

http://www.danielamos.com/articles/rdarn.html

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-30-2008 21:23 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Up! ah memories... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That was the review that led me to buy dfbb, my very first DA album! Pleased

I was intrigued by the opening paragraph:
"Darn Floor, Big Bite is an exercise in discovery a moody, magnificent album which defies easy description. Each listening brings new insights, impressions building up like the coats of lacquer on a Japanese jewel-box. Maybe this shouldn't even be called a 'review.' A review is after the fact, past-tense a summation. I'll be frank-I'm still in the process of absorbing Da's newest record. Chalk it up to the weakness of language, I guess."

I never heard of any Christian records that could do all that.
Heck, how many just plain old "regular" records out there do all that?

It's a great feeling to buy some new music and just be blown away by it.
To not even know how or what to think about it.

It's been a long time...

05-30-2008 23:39 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Here's some good news to get you all buzzing... Guess who I saw in the "N" section of Best Buy's CD department today? None other than Larry Norman or, more to the point, ARRCO's Norman retrospective. It bodes well for the big box chains carrying "Darn Floor Big Bite".

Take hope, fans of DA... You may yet see a day when someone knows what the heck you're talking about.
06-03-2008 15:59 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ubique Epoque

That would kick ass! Pleased

06-03-2008 16:24 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

from the bathroom-phernalia site.

Probably one of the more ignored watershed moments for the band. Elaborately produced, and chock full of some of their best songs ever. You want a list? Take your pick from the 10 tracks. The songs are a great mix of the absurd to the straight and narrow pop tune. As much as I go on about Jerry's guitar playing, there's no way he could have pulled off this one. I love his playing, but DFBB is built on the interplay between Greg Flesch and Tim Chandler. This is the one that truly made Greg not just the replacement guitar player in my mind (wait, I felt that way about Fearful Symmetry too).

So what happened with all this brilliance? Gold and Platinum accolades? Nope - can you say Stiffed? Yup, this one fell flatter than the Tuxedo Clad Megastar singing the National Anthem (I had to find a way to throw in at least one the Tuxedo Clad Megastar reference on this page). This of course is one of the great travesties of this or any other century (holy crap, am I ever waxing maudlin today. Hopefully I'll proof read this and edit out all this nonsense).

I bought it new in 1987 and I played this pretty much nonstop for about three years. It's that good.

06-03-2008 18:13 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall
DFBB is built on the interplay between Greg Flesch and Tim Chandler. This is the one that truly made Greg not just the replacement guitar player in my mind (wait, I felt that way about Fearful Symmetry too).

I bought it new in 1987 and I played this pretty much nonstop for about three years. It's that good.

Yes, yes and yes! Pleased

06-03-2008 20:37 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
achentodaze
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 02-26-2007

quote:
Here's some good news to get you all buzzing... Guess who I saw in the "N" section of Best Buy's CD department today? None other than Larry Norman or, more to the point, ARRCO's Norman retrospective. It bodes well for the big box chains carrying "Darn Floor Big Bite".

Take hope, fans of DA... You may yet see a day when someone knows what the heck you're talking about.

ARRCO's Norman retrospective is also on iTunes.
06-04-2008 16:24 achentodaze is offline Search for Posts by achentodaze Add achentodaze to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2007

Wow. So good to see this is being re-released--it blew my mind open in 1987 and have been listening to it for 20 years! My favorite DA record and it's not even close (though Mr. Buechner's Dream is sweet). If you're even remotely a DA fan and haven't heard this one--you gotta get it.
06-08-2008 12:30 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

I think it will have a better shot with the internet, 20 years ago all we had was Christian Bookstores and the HRS!

Hey there George, you live in St Paul too eh?

There are a few of us around the Twin Cities area who post here.

06-08-2008 16:01 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Pages (33): « first ... « previous 8 9 [10] 11 12 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Daniel Amos - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH