Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » iAlarma! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (9): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page iAlarma!
Posts in this Thread Author Date
« Previous Page
 RE: iAlarma! Dr Rich 04-15-2008 19:53
 RE: iAlarma! Audiori J 04-16-2008 00:57
 RE: iAlarma! Strange Animal 04-16-2008 12:00
 RE: iAlarma! jiminy 04-16-2008 09:18
 Alarma rocks... John Foxe 04-16-2008 10:13
 RE: Alarma rocks... jyroflux 04-16-2008 18:31
 RE: Alarma rocks... Dr Rich 04-16-2008 20:33
 RE: iAlarma! jiminy 04-16-2008 10:51
 RE: iAlarma! Mountain Fan 04-16-2008 12:04
 RE: iAlarma! jiminy 04-16-2008 12:30
 RE: iAlarma! RoxxRegime 04-16-2008 17:51
 RE: iAlarma! Dr Rich 04-16-2008 20:34
 Alarma jon eddies 04-16-2008 22:02
 RE: Alarma Dr Rich 04-17-2008 17:16
 RE: iAlarma! wes berlin 04-16-2008 22:40
 RE: iAlarma! jyroflux 04-16-2008 22:47
 RE: iAlarma! wes berlin 04-17-2008 00:22
 RE: iAlarma! larryl 04-17-2008 05:18
 RE: iAlarma! wes berlin 04-17-2008 12:01
 RE: iAlarma! larryl 04-17-2008 15:28
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Let's see. What was I in 1980? Eleven? Is it possible?

For the record, I cannot comprehend being 14 (which is what I was when I found DA) and listening to this stuff. I just didn't think I had the capacity for it then! Gadzooks, it almost makes me seem... hip? How could that be?!?

It makes me feel almost hip now, listening to this stuff! Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 04-15-2008 19:53.

04-15-2008 19:53 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

iAlarma! reminded me of the Talking Heads 77 album, the one with "Who Is It?" on it which DA covered at the time in concert.

04-16-2008 00:57 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Attention Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
iAlarma! reminded me of the Talking Heads 77 album, the one with "Who Is It?" on it which DA covered at the time in concert.

a whole LOT like talking heads....
which is just fine... Red Face
but i prefer the ORIGINAL sound the band created with dfbb..... Cool Big Grin Cool Pleased

bobd

04-16-2008 12:00 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I hear the Elvis Costello sound of that time too..sort of a Radio Radio vibe goin on.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-16-2008 09:18 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Alarma rocks... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Most of the songs are very catchy with some cool guitar hooks.

Favorites:
Central Theme
Alarma
My Room
Faces...
Colored by
Through the Speakers
Endless Summer
Wall Of Doubt
Ghost of the Heart

anti-favorites:
Props - vocals flat
Mortal Coil - entire song too dissonant and weird

So many favorites. This was a very, very good recording for its time.

04-16-2008 10:13 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

RE: Alarma rocks... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
anti-favorites:
Props - vocals flat

I always thought the vocals were recorded that way purposefully. I've never read anything to support this (as stated above), but the vocals are part of what I like about the song.

Mortal Coil - I loved that song from the first time I heard it. It's my kind of weird. Big Grin

04-16-2008 18:31 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: Alarma rocks... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jyroflux
quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
anti-favorites:
Props - vocals flat

I always thought the vocals were recorded that way purposefully. I've never read anything to support this (as stated above), but the vocals are part of what I like about the song.

Mortal Coil - I loved that song from the first time I heard it. It's my kind of weird. Big Grin

Those two are favorites of mine! Cool

04-16-2008 20:33 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

AND -- I'm old enough that I'm married, have a mortgage, a home recording studio,

As a musician, sure, ...

OK RR-

We can take the hints.
have you recorded anything (at home) since after all..you ARE a musician with a HOME STUDIO??
Would love to hear it.
pm me or announce!

(the shy ones never get heard- its time for some self promotion..most folks have heard my crap-)
lesse whatcha got

04-16-2008 10:51 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

¡take note ... below is not an i but is an upside down exclamation!

¡Alarma!

Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
04-16-2008 12:04 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

OK I

icheated!

(it just works better with....

iAlarma!

04-16-2008 12:30 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
RoxxRegime
Unsullied Affiche

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2008

quote:
Props - vocals flat

I thought I read somewhere that they intentionally recorded it in a key that was too high for Marty...
04-16-2008 17:51 RoxxRegime is offline Search for Posts by RoxxRegime Add RoxxRegime to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by RoxxRegime
quote:
Props - vocals flat

I thought I read somewhere that they intentionally recorded it in a key that was too high for Marty...

Never heard that but, the vocals are the part of the fun for me on that song. Pleased

04-16-2008 20:34 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jon eddies jon eddies is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 10-29-2007

Alarma Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I love this one! All of the songs are SOOO DA. You can hear this album on Much of their other works from that point on all the way up to MBD. It seems to me that it helped define the quirkiness that is DA. The songs are incredible. There's only one I'm not crazy about and that is Props. It seems to be out of place with the rest of the tunes. It actually always seemed to be a filler, maybe an outtake from HD. It would have fit better on that album(IMHO).
As far as Mortal Coil, I love that tune. My favs are Through The Speakers & Endless Summer. My only criticism is I do wish the production could have been a bit better. It seems sort thin and bright, but the songs are soooo good that it doesn't really matter.

Is it just me or does this one and Kalhoun seem to be almost sister albums. Good stuff.
04-16-2008 22:02 jon eddies is offline Send an Email to jon eddies Search for Posts by jon eddies Add jon eddies to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: Alarma Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jon eddies
I love this one! All of the songs are SOOO DA. You can hear this album on Much of their other works from that point on all the way up to MBD. It seems to me that it helped define the quirkiness that is DA. The songs are incredible.

Oh, so you did say this! Shocked

04-17-2008 17:16 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

you might be surprised about who uses auto tune. there are obvious persons and then there's others you might not even think of.

that's all i have to say about that. Pleased

04-16-2008 22:40 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
you might be surprised about who uses auto tune. there are obvious persons and then there's others you might not even think of.

I didn't know about this. Of course I've heard the Cher 'song'. But the pitch correction part of it is something I should have expected given all that's possible. But this is a bit to robotic sounding to me. Sterile, soul-less 'perfect' vocals. Oh! That explains Celine Dion and why I don't like her. Big Grin

04-16-2008 22:47 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Official Impasto

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
quote:

I didn't know about this. Of course I've heard the Cher 'song'. But the pitch correction part of it is something I should have expected given all that's possible. But this is a bit to robotic sounding to me. Sterile, soul-less 'perfect' vocals. Oh! That explains Celine Dion and why I don't like her. Big Grin

the cher song was for affect.......there are many many others less well known who use subtle pitch correction (auto tune). and why wouldn't they? people use fake reverb and delay not to mention eq and or chorus. how is auto tune any different? it's not. shine it up........but not to extreme. that's my 2 cents. Big Grin

04-17-2008 00:22 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

quote:
quote:
quote:

the cher song was for affect.......there are many many others less well known who use subtle pitch correction (auto tune). and why wouldn't they? people use fake reverb and delay not to mention eq and or chorus. how is auto tune any different? it's not. shine it up........but not to extreme. that's my 2 cents. Big Grin

i can sort of see it for fixing one or two pitchy notes....

but in nashville, some of the stories you hear about it are unreal.... until you hear some of those people sing live... then you totally believe they auto-tuned whole albums....

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

04-17-2008 05:18 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Official Impasto

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
i can sort of see it for fixing one or two pitchy notes....

so much can depend on the operator. these things are available to tweak not to create vocals (or instruments). i agree that, like many effects, auto tune has been abused in the the hope of polishing a turd.

and here's a question for all you "purists" out there:

is it "wrong" to record to a click track? Tongue

04-17-2008 12:01 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

quote:

and here's a question for all you "purists" out there:

is it "wrong" to record to a click track? Tongue

not at all... especially these days, when i record one take at my house, another gets recorded at someone else's house, and then we go to the studio with it all........

or when i'm trying to lay a drum loop on something..... almost nobody is good enough to record without a click, and have a loop laid over it, and it line up.

if i could get a drummer to lay his track first, i could probably record without a click.......

for the record... i hate playing to a click track. i use hand claps, a high hat sound... anything but that horrible metallic "click"

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

04-17-2008 15:28 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Pages (9): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » iAlarma!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH