Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » iAlarma! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (9): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page iAlarma!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

alarma and sgt. peppers both sound dated..........
i was 18 when darn floor was released......
still sounds fresh and new today! Pleased Cool Cool Cool

bobd

04-14-2008 21:54 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Strange Animal
still sounds fresh and new today! Pleased Cool Cool Cool

preach it! Smile

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
04-14-2008 22:07 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:

yes, but not as dated as "darn floor, big bite". i love dfbb but it sounds incredibly dated (like most stuff from the era). Tongue

04-14-2008 22:27 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
RoxxRegime
Unsullied Affiche

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2008

Hmmm.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hmm, lemme see here...

quote:
and just for the record i was three when sgt. pepper was released.

My parents were both 10 when Sgt. Pepper was released. Big Grin

quote:
I was 12 in 1980!

I was born in 1980! Big Grin

quote:

I was 7 when darn floor was released...... Big Grin

AND -- I'm old enough that I'm married, have a mortgage, a home recording studio, etc. Ok, I'll shut up now! Big Grin

Heh. Everyone tells me I was born in the wrong decade. My favorite bands/artists are DA, Larry Norman, Stonehill, Queen, Springsteen, Pink Floyd, etc.

As a musician, sure, I can here where some things sound dated -- but if the songs are good, I don't care if it's a little dated. I mean, can you imagine hearing Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite with modern production? It just wouldn't be the same without the classic "sound" from Martin's production...and the equipment available at the time.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by RoxxRegime: 04-14-2008 22:33.

04-14-2008 22:32 RoxxRegime is offline Search for Posts by RoxxRegime Add RoxxRegime to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
quote:

yes, but not as dated as "darn floor, big bite". i love dfbb but it sounds incredibly dated (like most stuff from the era). Tongue

i guess it all depends.......
how you look at these things................. Big Grin Wink

bobd

04-14-2008 22:36 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

The reason is that something like Sgt Pepper has actual classical instrumentation, the recording process could be dated, but the strings sound like strings because they are strings. In the late 70s, early 80s people were using lot of synthesizer stuff that was not as sophisticated as it is today. The vibe, synth, sampled sound effects, digital drums were a big fad in the 80s and they were technologically not all that great by todays standards. So the 80s will always have that sort of dated 80s sound.

Today people use synthesizer stuff, but it is waaaaaaay more advanced to the point its harder to tell its not real instruments, and people have pretty much gotten away from synth, vibe, digital sounding drums for the most part.

04-14-2008 23:21 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
...and people have pretty much gotten away from synth, vibe, digital sounding drums for the most part.

And that's a good thing. Big Grin

04-15-2008 00:19 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by jyroflux
quote:
...and people have pretty much gotten away from synth, vibe, digital sounding drums for the most part.

yes it is. Pleased

04-15-2008 06:38 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
RoxxRegime
Unsullied Affiche

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2008

quote:
The reason is that something like Sgt Pepper has actual classical instrumentation, the recording process could be dated, but the strings sound like strings because they are strings. In the late 70s, early 80s people were using lot of synthesizer stuff that was not as sophisticated as it is today. The vibe, synth, sampled sound effects, digital drums were a big fad in the 80s and they were technologically not all that great by todays standards. So the 80s will always have that sort of dated 80s sound.

That's all true -- but even stuff from today will sound dated in 10 years, simply because there are always trends and fads. Just like how in the 80's, everyone used a big stadium reverb sound on the snare, or digital drums.....then in the 90's, it was about the small drumkit sound......and now, everything (including all the guitars/bass) is WAY overcompressed, giving it a unique sound. Or how about the trend in the 60's, when stereo was still a pretty new concept, and they'd pan the entire drumkit to one side (check out "light my fire" or "Break on through" by the Doors if you don't know what I mean)......or the quad sound from the 70's? Some of these things are technology based...some are just trends. I appreciate them all! Smile
04-15-2008 19:25 RoxxRegime is offline Search for Posts by RoxxRegime Add RoxxRegime to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Yup, for the most part there are give-a-ways to when an album was recorded! Cool

04-15-2008 19:32 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I agree- the synth sound rather stymies what is really good stuff from the 80s
-along with simmons drums

I laugh when I hear the dates of some of you all ...I'm definitely a senior member here..but I love the enthusiasm of people who appreciate good stuff- even if they ddint hear it at its inception.

One of the best (and strangest) conversations about taht was discussing Cash and Hank with my F.I.L. he loves old records ..and his growing up in that era made me feel like a shirt-tailer..so trust me- yer not!

Theres still some others my age here that have miles of "insiderhood" over me.
I love to hear it all.
(and some are more than a bit younger than me)

but back to ialarma!-
not dated- just tight guitar and chop shop rock..there was NOT a lot of that going around in any circle..let alone CCM. It has a very early 80-s hum (IMHO) before the synth sound prevailed.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-15-2008 19:36 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Let's see. What was I in 1980? Eleven? Is it possible?

For the record, I cannot comprehend being 14 (which is what I was when I found DA) and listening to this stuff. I just didn't think I had the capacity for it then! Gadzooks, it almost makes me seem... hip? How could that be?!?
04-15-2008 19:47 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

RE: Hmmm.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by RoxxRegime
Hmm, lemme see here...

quote:
and just for the record i was three when sgt. pepper was released.

My parents were both 10 when Sgt. Pepper was released. Big Grin

quote:
I was 12 in 1980!

I was born in 1980! Big Grin

quote:

I was 7 when darn floor was released...... Big Grin

AND -- I'm old enough that I'm married, have a mortgage, a home recording studio, etc. Ok, I'll shut up now! Big Grin

Heh. Everyone tells me I was born in the wrong decade. My favorite bands/artists are DA, Larry Norman, Stonehill, Queen, Springsteen, Pink Floyd, etc.

As a musician, sure, I can here where some things sound dated -- but if the songs are good, I don't care if it's a little dated. I mean, can you imagine hearing Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite with modern production? It just wouldn't be the same without the classic "sound" from Martin's production...and the equipment available at the time.

ditto on being born in the wrong decade.
04-15-2008 19:49 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Let's see. What was I in 1980? Eleven? Is it possible?

For the record, I cannot comprehend being 14 (which is what I was when I found DA) and listening to this stuff. I just didn't think I had the capacity for it then! Gadzooks, it almost makes me seem... hip? How could that be?!?

It makes me feel almost hip now, listening to this stuff! Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 04-15-2008 19:53.

04-15-2008 19:53 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
quote:

i guess it all depends.......
how you look at these things................. Big Grin Wink

yep.

but i don't remember much synth or drum machines on dfbb?!

Alarma was not too dated, but far more so than dfbb

the worst ones for immediately sounding dated are Vox Humana and Fearful Symmetry

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
04-15-2008 20:37 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

quote:
Originally posted by jyroflux
quote:

Well, except for hip-hop which is sounding more and more like '80s new wave every day.
04-15-2008 21:15 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

quote:
Today people use synthesizer stuff, but it is waaaaaaay more advanced to the point its harder to tell its not real instruments, and people have pretty much gotten away from synth, vibe, digital sounding drums for the most part.

Can we get them to stop using the auto-tune now?

04-15-2008 22:32 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

iAlarma! reminded me of the Talking Heads 77 album, the one with "Who Is It?" on it which DA covered at the time in concert.

04-16-2008 00:57 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I hear the Elvis Costello sound of that time too..sort of a Radio Radio vibe goin on.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-16-2008 09:18 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Alarma rocks... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Most of the songs are very catchy with some cool guitar hooks.

Favorites:
Central Theme
Alarma
My Room
Faces...
Colored by
Through the Speakers
Endless Summer
Wall Of Doubt
Ghost of the Heart

anti-favorites:
Props - vocals flat
Mortal Coil - entire song too dissonant and weird

So many favorites. This was a very, very good recording for its time.

04-16-2008 10:13 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Pages (9): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » iAlarma!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH