Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Horrendous Disc extended version » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Horrendous Disc extended version
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ctrups ctrups is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 04-02-2008

Horrendous Disc extended version Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

On Larry's web page the extended version of HD is out and it has 6 additional songs on it. And no the two versions of Hound by Larry aren't on it.

1. Fairy Tale-written by Mark Heard? does anyone know if mark wrote this or if Terry did.

2. After All These Years-Only released on the UK album version.

3.That Girl Likes To Talk (Yak, Yak, Yak)

4.Twilight Love-Previously Unreleased, Except as a Live Version on the album "Our Personal Favorites"

5. Noelle-Different version on the album "Motor Cycle"-I'm assuming.

6. Hello Aloha

If there are more album quality tracks from the Shotgun Horrendous era still out there I would like to hear them.

DEAN
04-09-2008 12:15 ctrups is offline Search for Posts by ctrups Add ctrups to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

RE: Horrendous Disc extended version Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ctrups
1. Fairy Tale-written by Mark Heard? does anyone know if mark wrote this or if Terry did.

Probably a half-error: Mark Cook sings "Fairy Tale" (it was issued on Alternative Records' "Shirley, Goodness and Misery/No Sense Of History" compilation), so it was likely he who composed it.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 04-09-2008 13:50.

04-09-2008 13:49 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The song "Noelle" is a completely different song.

Fairy Tale - ©1979 Words and Music by John Mark Cook

04-09-2008 18:18 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Be warned.. this is a CDR cheapo release.

There will be a DA collection containing all of the unreleased material in better packaging (much more than what is seen on this release), with a nice booklet, etc. Solid Rock just wanted to beat us to the punch.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
04-09-2008 18:20 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

Listen to what he says. I bought it and I wish I'd waited. Everything about it is cheap (except for Terry's wonderful songs).

About the song "Noelle". The lyrics start:

Noelle, you know full well I want to hold your hand
Noelle, don't play it like you don't understand
'Cause I love you pretty lady
It's so plain to see
And it would be real fine
If you wouldn't waste the time

So you can see, it is quite different.

04-09-2008 18:28 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I will wait. Pleased

04-09-2008 19:37 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
ctrups ctrups is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 04-02-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by ctrups

Yeah Motorcycle is one of the few albums I don't have. So I don't know what the MC version is like.

I like the new songs but I didn't like the different song order.

So I burned my own cd for use in the car with the correct song order and the newsongs attached.

Does anyone know what the song order was on the cassette release of HD.

I had it on cassette but I lost the cassette years ago and then I went thru and thru away all my casstte covers when we moved and my wife laughed at me for holding on to something she thought was useless.

She just doesn't understand.

Also how is the recording quality of the extra songs on the 30th first album.
I found the extras on the 25th of Shotgun to be quite rough.

DEAN
04-12-2008 16:17 ctrups is offline Search for Posts by ctrups Add ctrups to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

The bonus tracks on the 30th anniversary release were taken from a wide range of sources.. most are very good quality. There are a few tracks included for their historical value (like an early duet between Terry and Debi, and the first song Terry wrote after becoming a Christian) that are poorer quality. We simply couldn't find better quality recordings of those songs, but felt that they were important for the fan to hear.

The bonus stuff on Shotgun was compiled by M8, who also did their own brand of "mastering." Whatever they did to them, they actually made them sound worse than the originals. They also messed up the album itself. Hopefully, STunt can put out a corrected Shotgun reissue in the not-too-distant future.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
04-12-2008 17:01 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

i actually liked the order of the tunes that LN presented.
It gave the entire project a different feel- the song order seemed (to me)m
more like a lil space journey - or a visitiation/ realization of sort.

If Larry wanted them orignially put that way- I can certainly see why.

Now (IMHO) the song track order from my other HDs now..well- it DOESNT seem right.

If this is a sign I'm beginning to think like Larry did..
well- Lord help us all Cool

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-14-2008 11:19 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-652.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2007

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Be warned.. this is a CDR cheapo release.

Solid Rock just wanted to beat us to the punch.

Audi, you are a man of wonderfully restained indignancy.
For as long as you and your mates have labored to see and to make sure that DA and the Swirlies get their due, that that is all you have to say amazes me. Bless you.

There is a place especially designed for those who steal from widows and orphans. Solid Rock should be ashamed.

04-14-2008 17:37 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

hey-
its the old buy low, sell high -
you own it- its slumpin - but has potential (where'd he find THAT out?
you dump it.
theres always a buyer out there.

If we had the real skinny on the collapsed negotiations maybe..
(cmon - I thik everyone wants to know- but I understand)

perhaps Larry wanted his own "Medley" moment ?
(In that irrefutable last word way)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jiminy: 04-14-2008 19:37.

04-14-2008 19:36 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Time for supper! Cool

05-07-2008 17:24 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Jerry Chamberlain gives his 2cents on Facebook in regard to Larry Normans "new" version of HD on my profile pic were I am holding the HD e.p. I cannot cut and paste so well with my phone, or else I would post what he said here.

05-07-2011 03:38 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

Jerry Chamberlain - The mastering on the first CD version of HD from 2000 was...uh, "horrendous"...and yes, so are the liner notes. Larry tried to pull the same stunt (no pun intended) with the original insert from the vinyl release in 1981. We insisted that Word pull the insert before its release (which, unfortunately, also included the album's credits and some great band photos), because Larry had written fabricated liner notes rewriting our history...

Jerry Chamberlain Okay, after Dennis Rich so kindly allowed me to hear it with my own ears - here's my official "scoop" on the 2nd CD version of Horrendous Disc (HD2) that Solid Rock released shortly before LN's passing: First of all, I thought, what ODD-sounding mixes on every song except "ILY#19" and "HOH". I initially surmised that LN had gone back to the original 24-track tapes and REMIXED those tunes, leaving certain instruments or vocal parts out. But the more I listened, I realized that, for whatever reason, LN used the rough "in progress" mixes that we made before we had finished the album! None of these are final mixes EXCEPT "ILY#19" and "HOH" (which we recorded later, after the bulk of the album was already done)! I'm assuming LN & Co. couldn't locate the final masters when it came time to remaster for the 2nd CD release. Either that, or he purposely found these rough unfinished mixes and thought they'd make a curious "alternate" version of HD. Either way, HD2 is made up of 7 unfinished songs and two final mixes. So, there you have it...straight from the horse's patoot... ;-)

Jerry Chamberlain You may well be right, Dennis. Listening to it, I kept thinking, "What the...?" with each weird difference to the final product. And then it dawned on me what these mixes were. It's quite possible he mastered HD2 from cassette...unless someone ran a reel-to-reel copy of these rough mixes at the time...

05-07-2011 17:09 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

The bonus songs; Noelle, Aloha, Twilight, etc are also not taken from the 24 track versions.

There is always more to the story, but at the time Larry was in negotiations with Arena Rock to release HD again. We also were trying to negotiate a Stunt/Solid Rock version because frankly the 10 other songs that were recorded at the time are according to the copyright office in Washington owned by Terry (copyrighted on cassette back at the time). So, part of the negotiation process was that we would bring the 10 other songs and Larry would bring HD album to the table. Because we couldn't release the album, and frankly he shouldn't be able to release the other songs. Larry drew up a contract and we went back and forth with him ironing out details (all the while knowing he might pull something.) While doing that he put out his last CDR version with bonus tracks that we had mentioned that we were going to use. Strange how he happened to pick them too, and strange timing huh? Wink

He may have used the weird cassette version thing because he was planning on sending the actual album to Arena Rock.

05-07-2011 18:56 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Hopefully, one of these years, Horrendous Disc will be made right....

05-07-2011 18:57 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

amazing...

crazy...

better than rUmORs

Psalm 119:83
05-07-2011 19:07 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Horrendous Disc extended version

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH