Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » for the love of Kalhoun!!!!!!!!! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page for the love of Kalhoun!!!!!!!!! 2 Votes - Average Rating: 9.502 Votes - Average Rating: 9.502 Votes - Average Rating: 9.502 Votes - Average Rating: 9.502 Votes - Average Rating: 9.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I really liked Kalhoun from the moment I hit "play." The standouts for me are "Big, Warm, Sweet Interior Glowing," "Gloryhound," and "I Will Return." A lot of great lines in those with wonderful music. "If You Want To" and "Gate of the World" rank up there too.

These days more than ever I think of the line "I love you, honey, but you're bound to vanish / In some fiery desperation."
03-28-2008 12:00 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by colorblind
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for clarifying. The weird thing is that what you posted for liner notes somehow seemed familiar. I had read those on this site before, but my brain had a momentary lapse of recall!

03-28-2008 13:15 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
The Gate of the World
It's the global village and Christ is among the villagers. He's not hard to miss- He's the thirsty child and the homeless, hungry beggar. The grand finale.

Is this bad grammar, or a deliberate double-negative: "He's easy to miss"?

Confused Confused Confused
03-28-2008 19:41 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:
The Gate of the World
It's the global village and Christ is among the villagers. He's not hard to miss- He's the thirsty child and the homeless, hungry beggar. The grand finale.

Or maybe:
"He's not easy to miss"

03-28-2008 23:44 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

quote:
Is this bad grammar, or a deliberate double-negative...

My vote would be that it is neither. One could argue that it is idiomatic, but folks here say "not hard to miss" all the time.
03-31-2008 10:12 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

I've heard the phrase "not hard to miss" all my life. I couldn't figure out what the fuss was all about and why it was so hard for some folks to 'get'.

03-31-2008 11:38 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

GGxkckkxxxxc! ggk h@pP3 bgkd@ee 2 m3... wh3R3 @m !...c@N 1 t@c th!$ th3@D 0v3r 2? . . .ggkkcx! H@H@H@H@H@gggk!!

03-31-2008 15:01 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
quote:
The Gate of the World

Or maybe:
"He's not easy to miss"

I don't know if it was intended, but everything preceding it indicates Terry means Christ is everywhere, omnipresent in the needy, hungry and homeless because "I am the least of these and so as you've done unto them, you've done unto Me". You can't miss Him because He's all over the place. Unfortunately, he meant "hard to miss" and inferred "easy to miss".

Same as a lot of people who say "I could care less" meaning "I could not care less".
03-31-2008 17:05 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ceremonial Kernel

Dunphy, you read my question right - the highlighted phrase, taken at face value, meant one thing, while everything that followed seemed to contradict that meaning. (I'm not certain Terry wrote those notes so I won't blame him - yet!!) I understand what the phrase means by itself, but in the context in which it was presented it didn't make much logical sense. So I was pondering: Was this just a mistake (not a terribly hard one to make, really), or was something deeper being said - "He's easy to miss, because He's everywhere and thus easily overlooked"?

Really, I just like pointing out other people's dumb mistakes. Carry on. Tongue
03-31-2008 19:23 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by jyroflux
I've heard the phrase "not hard to miss" all my life. I couldn't figure out what the fuss was all about and why it was so hard for some folks to 'get'.

ditto that.
it's an old expression.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 04-01-2008 17:04.

04-01-2008 17:03 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

An example of the proper usage of the phrase "not hard to miss":

"It's not hard to miss the exit off the freeway to get to my house, because the only sign pointing to it is obscured by a bit of shrubbery."

Observe that this is NOT how the phrase was used in the aforementioned notes. That really was my only point. I was nitpicking, and I'm sorry.
04-01-2008 20:19 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

I understand what your saying.

Maybe I'm just hanging with the wrong crowd! Shocked

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 04-01-2008 20:32.

04-01-2008 20:30 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Google "not hard to miss". Lots of people using that phrase.

04-01-2008 21:05 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Never mind, already. Roll Eyes

Let's talk about hot water heaters, ATM machines and PIN numbers instead. Cool
04-01-2008 21:15 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by colorblind

This thread is about KALHOUN, right??? Wink
Does anyone know if there's any significance to the text on the cover?

04-01-2008 21:45 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Let's talk about hot water heaters, ATM machines and PIN numbers instead. Cool

By the way, what is your PIN number? Tongue

04-01-2008 22:13 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

"That Holy Word" - Der Heilig Wort

"New World Order" - New Welt Ordnen

04-01-2008 22:17 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by colorblind
Does anyone know if there's any significance to the text on the cover?

It's just a sacred kinda thing. Tongue

04-02-2008 04:54 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

The Grammar Police Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You forgot to modify the dangling qualifying noun with the
conjunctive passing divider to the last remaining decimal point.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 04-02-2008 06:14.

04-02-2008 06:05 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
quote:
The Gate of the World

Or maybe:
"He's not easy to miss"

I don't know if it was intended, but everything preceding it indicates Terry means Christ is everywhere, omnipresent in the needy, hungry and homeless because "I am the least of these and so as you've done unto them, you've done unto Me". You can't miss Him because He's all over the place. Unfortunately, he meant "hard to miss" and inferred "easy to miss".

Same as a lot of people who say "I could care less" meaning "I could not care less".

I agree with this assessment, except I think its phrased as intended. He is everywhere except where people are generally looking. Our focus is usually on politicians, the famous, the wealthy... we generally forget about those less fortunate. The least of these are often overlooked by society... They are not hard to miss. If they were hard to miss then there wouldn't be an issue. I think its intended to mean mankind is generally so blind we miss noticing what is everywhere, we miss noticing what we are supposed to notice. And in fact we are bombarded with the opposite, the wealthy, the politicians, the famous.

The least of these are everywhere but overlooked by society. American Idol is hard to miss, the culture is saturated with it. The poor on the street, the hungry child is not hard to miss.

This perception also plays well into the concept of the album itself.. we can as a society get caught up in the next 'ism' Kalhoun! and overlook the needy.

04-02-2008 08:56 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » for the love of Kalhoun!!!!!!!!!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH