Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » re-release music question » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page re-release music question
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I keep my CDs as backups, too, but let's be honest: a CD is not a more reliable back up just because it's a hard copy. CDs can become damaged and unplayable the same as an mp3. And as a backup they are terribly inefficient and take up a lot of room. I back up my entire iTunes library to an external hard drive every Friday. It's just a way of thinking, I think. An LP, a CD or an mp3 -- it's all the same really, it's a medium for capturing a performance in a fixed format.
I only mention all this because I am an old fart, set in my ways about some things, but I have embraced the digital music medium and have found it very liberating.
03-13-2008 20:21 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Davison
I put that puppy o shuffle and I got the ultimate radio station with no DJs or commercials.

I really dig the fact that I can let my "Classic Rock" mix shuffle for 72 hours straight and not hear the same song twice. Wish I had that capability when I was in college...

Cool Cool Cool
03-13-2008 20:28 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I think part of the reason a CD seems more permanent to me than an MP3 is that all it takes is a strong magnet to wipe out a those MP3s. It seems so much more fragile to me. I mean, various hard drives that we've used have crashed dozens of times over the last couple of decades - sometimes losing a lot of information. My CD collection hasn't crashed once. Big Grin

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-13-2008 20:34 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Davison
I keep my CDs as backups, too, but let's be honest: a CD is not a more reliable back up just because it's a hard copy. CDs can become damaged and unplayable the same as an mp3. And as a backup they are terribly inefficient and take up a lot of room. I back up my entire iTunes library to an external hard drive every Friday. It's just a way of thinking, I think. An LP, a CD or an mp3 -- it's all the same really, it's a medium for capturing a performance in a fixed format.
I only mention all this because I am an old fart, set in my ways about some things, but I have embraced the digital music medium and have found it very liberating.

I'm with ya, but I'm too cheap to get an iPod. Getting a bunch of albums on 1 CD at 192kbps is good enough for me. My cell phone has an MP3 player but I haven't really bothered to put much on it. I'm usually at work or home or in the car near a disc player or computer. And cheap MP3 discs usually don't attract attention like an ipod does. not to mention i don't like headphones much. Big Grin

i have heard stories of people keeping their CDs in less than climate controlled storage and having problems. i think there is aluminum inside and it can get pinholes in it if the humidity stays too high for too long. and heat is not that good for plastic either, although i did have an optometrist tell me one time that they were so glad CDs came along because before that they had a hard time getting good quality plastic for eyeglass lenses (which is lighter than glass).

yeah, i'm a cheap old fogey with the lasik too. in my way of thinking my eyesight is not bad enough to warrant the risk of something going wrong and i kind of like glasses anyway.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-13-2008 21:23 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

I originally used full-sized iPods. I thought I needed to have ALL of my songs on it. For me the iPod Shuffle became my iPod of choice. The size is so much better to deal with at work. One GB is more than enough for one day at work (now there is a two GB version). I just reload random songs every night so I have new songs to listen to every day. And it's only $50-$70 depending on which Shuffle you get.

03-13-2008 22:31 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
jon eddies jon eddies is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 10-29-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by jon eddies
wow Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's cool to check back and see that my original has generated a lot of discussion. Here's my take on it. I do LOVE packaging and booklets and all of that and am a collector at heart, but like any male American(ha) I want instant gratification. I have a lot of the old DA stuff on tape from my old ghetto days (I too waited for a long time to ge a CD player) and would love with a click and a dollar spent to have that tune to listen to and load on my ipod right away. I understand the big picture is much more complex. Thanks for the input and discussion.
03-14-2008 15:43 jon eddies is offline Send an Email to jon eddies Search for Posts by jon eddies Add jon eddies to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Jerry said "Fart" my day is complete.

03-14-2008 18:36 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
yeah, i'm a cheap old fogey with the lasik too. in my way of thinking my eyesight is not bad enough to warrant the risk of something going wrong and i kind of like glasses anyway.

As far as I am concerned, there is no reason to have a laser anywhere near my little eyeballs! Shocked

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-14-2008 22:46.

03-14-2008 22:45 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Thumb Up! RE: wow Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jon eddies
It's cool to check back and see that my original has generated a lot of discussion.

Cool

03-14-2008 22:46 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Longstride Longstride is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

images/avatars/avatar-414.jpg

Registration Date: 02-21-2007

I just bought the Outdoor Elvis MP3 album from Amazon for $7. As much as I'd love to have an actual CD, I'm absolutely thrilled to have my first Terry Taylor album in something other than an old tape that I'm afraid to play.

Host of Digital Pillage on the former WRVU, 91.1 FM, Nashville.
01-26-2011 20:05 Longstride is offline Homepage of Longstride Search for Posts by Longstride Add Longstride to your Buddy List
lobo1023 lobo1023 is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 09-07-2006

I converted to MP3's a few years back. Got a terabyte of songs sitting on a Western Digital drive (plus a backup). I carry around two Ipods at all times. One with an eclectic mix of stuff and another totally devoted to everything TST (Eddies, DA, TST, Lost Dogs - and all the bands any of thoses guys were in). Even converted my old cassettes, including the Rapsures, using one of those USB devices. However, my job allows me to listen to 8 hours of music a day.

My biggest issue with going all MP3 is that Apple STILL hasn't figured out why in "shuffle" mode, certain songs always play and others never make the playlist. It's really odd. Ipod seems to really love Iron & Wine and anything Counting Crows.
01-28-2011 14:48 lobo1023 is offline Search for Posts by lobo1023 Add lobo1023 to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Just put the songs it never plays on there twice. Tongue

01-28-2011 16:00 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Originally posted by lobo1023
I converted to MP3's a few years back. Got a terabyte of songs sitting on a Western Digital drive (plus a backup). I carry around two Ipods at all times. One with an eclectic mix of stuff and another totally devoted to everything TST (Eddies, DA, TST, Lost Dogs - and all the bands any of thoses guys were in). Even converted my old cassettes, including the Rapsures, using one of those USB devices. However, my job allows me to listen to 8 hours of music a day.

My biggest issue with going all MP3 is that Apple STILL hasn't figured out why in "shuffle" mode, certain songs always play and others never make the playlist. It's really odd. Ipod seems to really love Iron & Wine and anything Counting Crows.

this might help

http://forums.ilounge.com/ipod-color-pho...uffle-mode.html

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
01-30-2011 16:25 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » re-release music question

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH