Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Terry at Church » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Terry at Church
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

actually - I thought Marc Byrd wrote it.
Wikipedia says Co Wrote

so it was probably he and steve.
When I saw the Choir at C Stone- they played it and introduced it as Marcs song- thus the assumption

that Movealong is so humble.....

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-14-2007 08:43 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

we dont do Praise song- from Shotgun Angel.
we do

"Meal"

You do know the two glaring Christian Faults??

Drive too fast
Eat too much

(Eiither driving too fast to get to the eating place- or eating too much before the long drive)

09-14-2007 08:45 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
navfox navfox is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

images/avatars/avatar-448.gif

Registration Date: 06-17-2002

quote:
Originally posted by achentodaze
Nobody's done "Praise Song"?!?!?

Never have, but the words look great and would work perfect in congregational singing, except musically it doesnt work. I guess it could work but would have to change its flow, tempo and style. If you try to sing it like Terry does I'm sure that half teh congregation couldnt do. But if you changed the singing style to like "God of Wonders" people could do it.

Also there are too many words. Shorten the chorus, maybe get rid of the bridge and sing two verses.

verse
chorus
verse
chorus
chorus
last line two times.

-nv
09-14-2007 10:41 navfox is offline Send an Email to navfox Homepage of navfox Search for Posts by navfox Add navfox to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for navfox
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-509.jpg

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by Drtuddle

I always thought reasonable service was a good song to start a Sunday service with. It's kind of like renewing your Christian drivers license when ever you reflect on that song.

quote:
In every soul an altar stands
There on dwells all in the heart of man
Oh consuming fire lay waste the dross
Upon this table purge us
Though the sacrifice we'll fear
Forsake us not Lord draw us near
For we never fail to find you here
In our reasonable service

Now the least that we can do
Is the least that you require
Living sacrifices on
The sacrificial fire
Cleanse these earthen vessels Lord
Of every false desire
And when we fail the do the least
Help us in our unbelief

Chorus

And in the measure of our faith
Let our minds keep on renewing
Not conforming to this world
Until this worlds undoing
And by your tender mercies Lord
Your perfect will pursuing
We become an offering
Made holy through your suffering

In the servitude of love
Drifts a fragrant scent well pleasing
As the strength of grace compels us on
To a worship without ceasing
To count as loss all we hold dear
Is Christ in us increasing
And through the fire gold will remain
To live is Christ to die is gain

(C)1996 by Lost Dogs

09-14-2007 11:18 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
anochria anochria is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-529.gif

Registration Date: 05-11-2004

DA related "praise music" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

One of the things I dislike about "praise music" is that so many people are locked into thinking it has to be a certain way- short, easy lyrics, slow even-tempoed melody, etc..

I really dislike even the false construct of a dividing line between songs told from a first-person perspective and story-songs- as if one style is more "praisy" than another.

Bascially, I'm sad "praise" has become an adjective to describe music rather than a verb accomplished through all kinds of musical styles.

We do Reasonable Service every now and then, and I think, though it defies most of the standard rules, that it is a perfect call to true, Christian sacrifice and renewal-- and I get a lot more out of singing that song than 10 average "praise" songs.

Honestly, the reason we sing so much DA related stuff is because I just have a hard time getting much out of typcial "praise" music fare- and I know a fair amount of people who feel the same.

Still, we try to attain a balance as much as possible because the choice of music on Sundays is, after all, not nearly as important as most issues Churches need to focus on.

quote:
Do you/did you ever have someone named Anji Sensenig in your church. If so, I may have visited about 8 yerars ago.

Sorry, no. Must be someone else.

Gotta go! Our "praise band" is practicing tonight to play "Hide the Beer, the Pastor's Here...." this Sunday.

heheh
09-14-2007 19:07 anochria is offline Send an Email to anochria Homepage of anochria Search for Posts by anochria Add anochria to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I don't think he was joking Big Grin

09-14-2007 19:27 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

With the help of another DAMBer, I introduced a coworker to DA. He was already a fan of the 77's, The Choir and Adam Again, but had never heard of DA (or The Lost Dogs). I gave him Songs of the Heart and he really liked it.
Anyway, this coworker does different things for his church--does puppets for the kids, plays bass in the worship band and makes slide-shows that are used during the service. One of the pastors of his church got married, so they asked my coworker to make a slide-show of the wedding for the Sunday morning service. For the music he chose DA's Can't Take My Eyes Off of You. Apparently several people came up to him after the service and asked about the song.
One December day a couple years back I heard Holy Emmanuel from the City On A Hill Christmas album played after the service had ended and everybody was leaving.

Other than that, nothing.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Ritchie_az: 08-16-2008 03:56.

08-16-2008 03:54 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Jiminy...you said you did "Be My Hiding Place" and "Vegas Story" at church. Do you have the chords? If so, can you post 'em??

Thanks
08-16-2008 12:50 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

We sang "Holy Emmanuel" last Christmas. I am tempted to try some others, but I have to talk the praise team leader into it. Since she is my wife I do have an in, but sometimes that can be even harder. God Bless!

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows
08-17-2008 06:43 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by UnderDawg
Jiminy...you said you did "Be My Hiding Place" and "Vegas Story" at church. Do you have the chords? If so, can you post 'em??

Thanks

im not much for transcribing - and i dont do them in the original keys..
if you want my own versions- I can post em.
I do BMHP in the key of c
and VS in the key of A- just basic three chord stuff.
anyone more savvy in that dept??

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jiminy: 08-18-2008 08:40.

08-18-2008 08:35 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

quote:
I do BMHP in the key of c

I think it was recorded in C, and "Free Drinks" was recorded in Bb, if memory serves.

I've got chord charts for several Lost Dogs tunes. And, I can chord other songs out and/or transpose if anyone needs it. I do it all the time as part of my job as a worship minister; adding a couple of songs to that work load would be no trouble at all! Big Grin

08-18-2008 10:57 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

There was a traveling minister who came to our church 2 weeks ago, playing songs and sharing his testamony. He said to our church that at one point in the late 70's...a band of Jesus lovin' guys came to town...they were weird, but they were radical...and they played this one song...and he went on to play that "oh my...you'll fry..." song by Daniel Amos!!!

How awesome is that.
The preacher's name is David Hinton (from OK...), for those who care to know.

09-08-2008 22:37 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

I don't know, Skeptic's Song is not one of their best.
09-09-2008 11:26 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by colorblind
There was a traveling minister who came to our church 2 weeks ago, playing songs and sharing his testamony. He said to our church that at one point in the late 70's...a band of Jesus lovin' guys came to town...they were weird, but they were radical...and they played this one song...and he went on to play that "oh my...you'll fry..." song by Daniel Amos!!!

How awesome is that.
The preacher's name is David Hinton (from OK...), for those who care to know.

when I started to read your post..I honestly thought it was like the set up for a joke.

Skeptic song?...would not be a good punchline.

09-09-2008 12:17 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Here's the joke: Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Barack Obama, a traveling minister from Oklahoma and a wierd Jesus-lovin' 70's country-rock group all go to the lake to fish in a boat. They start out early and plan to stay all day, but leave their lunch on the shore because, with such a large group, it won't fit in the boat.
After several hours, the traveling minister from Oklahoma says, "I'm gettin' mighty hungry!" So he steps out of the boat and walks on the water all the way to the shore, grabs his lunch, and walks on the water back to the boat.
Obama is amazed! "H-how, uh, did, you, um, uh, you do, um, that?" (Remember, there's no teleprompter at the lake).
Seeing the preacher's lunch, the wierd Jesus-lovin' 70's country-rock group decides they are hungry, as well. So they all step out of the boat and walk on the water to the shore, grab their lunch, and walk on the water back to the boat.
"I, uh, just don't, um, d-don't understand, um, how you, uh, did that," Obama said.
They continued fishing for awhile. Finally, Obama couldn't take it any more. "I'm the One I've been waiting for!" He exclaimed. "If you, um, could walk on, uh, water, then I, um, can too!" So he jumped out of the boat and--splash!--all the way under the surface!
The traveling minister from Oklahoma turned to the wierd Jesus-lovin' 70's country-rock group and said, "Do you s'ppose we should've told him 'bout the sand bar?"
As Obama, soaked from head-to-toe, was climbing back into the boat, the wierd Jesus-lovin' 70's country-rock group was singin' "Now I get to wishin' that you'd get to dishin' that sweet meat..."

09-09-2008 12:47 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

...Ok, I know, still not funny....

09-09-2008 12:50 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Any chord charts that you could supply would be great. I'm trying to expose more people to these songs, and it would be great if I could play 'em.

Do you want to email them or post them here?

Y'see, telling me it's in the key of C doesn't help...I need chords. I might be able to dope it out, but I wouldn't count on it!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by UnderDawg: 09-10-2008 16:35.

09-09-2008 17:52 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I'm guessing Terry (and co.) are singing at Calvary Chapel:

YouTube

09-10-2008 19:47 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
I'm guessing Terry (and co.) are singing at Calvary Chapel:

YouTube

Guess it was the dove logo that gave it away, huh.

That's a rip from the Instruction Thru Film DVD, BTW. Cool
09-10-2008 23:34 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Don't own that DVD (yet).

The dove logo didn't mean much to me. I noticed that it was a Maranatha event, though, so I figured....

09-10-2008 23:41 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Terry at Church

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH