Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » On meeting your idols » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page On meeting your idols
Posts in this Thread Author Date
« Previous Page
 RE: On meeting your idols Ron E 08-15-2007 19:18
 RE: On meeting your idols larryl 08-15-2007 20:52
 RE: On meeting your idols snowblind 08-15-2007 22:09
 RE: On meeting your idols ladrtrk55 08-15-2007 22:23
 RE: On meeting your idols audiori 08-15-2007 23:57
 RE: On meeting your idols Jerry Davison 08-15-2007 14:09
 RE: On meeting your idols MarkyMark77 08-15-2007 14:40
 RE: On meeting your idols larryl 08-15-2007 15:39
 RE: On meeting your idols Space Ghost 08-15-2007 15:54
 RE: On meeting your idols Audiori J 08-15-2007 15:46
 RE: On meeting your idols larryl 08-15-2007 15:49
 RE: On meeting your idols MarkyMark77 08-15-2007 16:00
 Confession Nicolosi 08-15-2007 22:35
 RE: On meeting your idols Phy 08-15-2007 23:12
 RE: On meeting your idols jiminy 08-15-2007 23:54
 RE: On meeting your idols larryl 08-16-2007 10:19
 RE: On meeting your idols Zudrak 08-16-2007 10:23
 RE: On meeting your idols jeffrey k. 08-16-2007 10:27
 RE: On meeting your idols Phy 08-16-2007 10:46
 RE: On meeting your idols jeffrey k. 08-16-2007 11:09
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
If you have a problem idolizing Terry and the guys, you can do what I did. Catch Terry in line for the toilet. That really levels the playing field.

I nearly followed Mike into the bathroom to ask for an autograph but mostly as a joke, didn't do it, thought it would be funny though.

08-15-2007 19:18 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
quote:
If you have a problem idolizing Terry and the guys, you can do what I did. Catch Terry in line for the toilet. That really levels the playing field.

I nearly followed Mike into the bathroom to ask for an autograph but mostly as a joke, didn't do it, thought it would be funny though.

that's how peawinkel met mike.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

08-15-2007 20:52 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
snowblind snowblind is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 01-29-2007

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
quote:
quote:

Shocked

I met Kerry Livgren at a Charlie Peacock concert years ago and I'm pretty sure I just mumbled something like... "music good". Also, I met Terry at Cstone back in '91 and, after reading some interview with him outlining his distaste for CCM industry, I tried to cheer him up, but he assured me he was fine. I felt like a dork. Frown Tongue
08-15-2007 22:09 snowblind is offline Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-652.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2007

quote:
Originally posted by snowblind
quote:
quote:
quote:

Shocked

I met Kerry Livgren at a Charlie Peacock concert years ago and I'm pretty sure I just mumbled something like... "music good". Also, I met Terry at Cstone back in '91 and, after reading some interview with him outlining his distaste for CCM industry, I tried to cheer him up, but he assured me he was fine. I felt like a dork. Frown Tongue

That's pretty funny, only because that sounds like my usual MO.
I met Darrell Mansfield at CStone '90 and he was most gracious. Actually, he gave me no time to dork out as he was asking ME questions, instead of me torturing him with inane musings.

08-15-2007 22:23 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
quote:
quote:

We ran into Rich Mullins in a bathroom once years ago.. probably '87 or '88ish. He was washing his hair in the sink. I think we just left him alone until later. Looking back on it now, I almost wish one of us had stuck our head under the faucet next to him.. Big Grin

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-15-2007 23:57 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

I not only had the pleasure of meeting Terry and working with him, but he graciously took me into his home for a few weeks while recording our second album. Let me tell you he is the real deal. It is one of my fondest and most cherished memories.
08-15-2007 14:09 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

quote:
I had Mike, Terry, and Derri as the three heads of Cerberus, with Steve in front of the dog's body as the handler (since he "keeps the beat").
Tongue

08-15-2007 14:40 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

i have no idols. i've met a lot of my musical heroes though, and enjoyed it greatly. i highly recommend it.

after gene died, idecided i needed to tell those people what they have meant to me, and i have not regretted one instance.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

08-15-2007 15:39 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Space Ghost
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-228.jpg

Registration Date: 02-07-2003

quote:
after gene died, i decided i needed to tell those people what they have meant to me, and i have not regretted one instance.

Great minds think alike. I was fortunate enough to tell Gene how much his work meant to me, and after he passed, it only reinforced my desire to do so at every opportunity. Terry Scott Taylor. Roger Hodgson of Supertramp. Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips. David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest. Even hockey player Brendan Shanahan the day after Mike Keenan traded him.

While I've not had the pleasure of meeting Geddy Lee, I did hear him say in an interview that when someone tells you "Your work has touched me deeply," that is a very powerful moment for both parties. I agree.

Makes the color of right

Gravity and distance
Change the passage of light
Gravity and distance
Change the color of right

08-15-2007 15:54 Space Ghost is offline Send an Email to Space Ghost Search for Posts by Space Ghost Add Space Ghost to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

After spending any time with the guys its hard not to see them as like a relative, like an Uncle or something. I think seeing their humanness allows you to give them a little Grace, especially when they are road weary.

08-15-2007 15:46 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
After spending any time with the guys its hard not to see them as like a relative, like an Uncle or something. I think seeing their humanness allows you to give them a little Grace, especially when they are road weary.

i see mike as my older brother, who tells dirty jokes and is a bad influence on me. Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by larryl: 08-15-2007 15:49.

08-15-2007 15:49 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

quote:
after gene died, idecided i needed to tell those people what they have meant to me, and i have not regretted one instance.

I think that this is the point for me. I don't idolize anyone, but when someone does something that has a positive effect on me, I want to let them know it.

When I saw the Dogs in '94(?), my friend got Gene's e-mail address. I was so impressed at how, while he could have been packing up stuff, he talked at length with someone, and gave them his e-mail address. To me, that's what all this music stuff (and even this message board) is about : building relationships with people. I think that's why I'm on here so much. It's really cool (even with the occasional blow-up) to talk to all these people who share something that's important to me, which is music. </sap> Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 08-15-2007 16:00.

08-15-2007 16:00 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Nicolosi
Dark Steamy Cabbage

images/avatars/avatar-458.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2007

Confession Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Ok. I'll admit it.

Background:
I am a drummer and Steve has been a major influence in my life for MANY years. I've been whacking 'em for over 40 years and recognized his very serious talent on Wide Eyed and Kangaroo. I had been learning from Steve year after year with the release of each new CD.

Then, I got the email that the Choir was playing Little Rock. Too cool. I grabed my son and we headed out. Sure enough, we saw the Choir in a really sweet small place. They were GREAT! I spoke with the opening acts drummer and he warned me not to approach Steve "because he doesn't like to be touched or deal with fans". Obviously, I didn't believe that for a moment. Steve was a drummer! I'm a drummer. We are strange, bent, odd, and even obnoxious......but standoffish???? NEVER!

So, I really didn't pay attention to any of that. I figured that I could handle it. I wouldn't geek out. After all, I'm an adult and my 17 year old was with me. I had to be strong and stoic for his sake. Steve came out after the show and I waited patiently to speak with him. I spoke to Derri and made drummer jokes with him. That was the best. Then Steve became available and I walked over to him. That's when things got.....bad. I reached out and grabed him full force. I hugged the snot out of him. On hindsite, it was probably a bad decision. I rambled on about how much of an influence he has been on me as a drummer and how much I've enjoyed learning from studying his work. He had squinty eyes and mumbled something that could have been a thank you......or a lawyers name.....I'm not quite sure which. Anyway, my son teases me to this day about my geeking out. We all do things for our children. It's our lot in life as parents.

I still don't believe that garbage about Steve. I think he's one of the most rhythmically gifted individuals walking the land. But, he's probably changed his method of greeting fans after that show. So, if you have the opportunity to meet Steve and shoot the breeze and he appears "standoffish", don't fault him. It's definately my fault. I've freaked the guy out.

Part 2.
I recently found out that Marc Byrd's sister is our pastors wife! How cool is that! I have the video of that Choir show from Little Rock with Marc playing guitar. My son calls it the "Hugfest Show". Sometimes he gets on my nerves. I gave my pastor a copy of the DVD when Marc came to visit them a couple of weekends ago. The only consolation I have from all of this mess is that Marc and I have never formally met. That's probably a good thing......'cause I hear tell that he doesn't like it when guys kiss him on the cheek.

Michael
08-15-2007 22:35 Nicolosi is offline Search for Posts by Nicolosi Add Nicolosi to your Buddy List
Phy Phy is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-494.jpg

Registration Date: 02-22-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by Phy

You'll note that Steve wasn't in the picture that was snapped. He was hanging off the living room looking for all the world like a wallflower at a Jr. High dance. He seemed to be pinching himself that he was in the same room as Derri, Mike, and Terry.

Yeah, I know, he and Derri go so far back that it's not funny. Somebody needs to tell him that.

To call him humble misses the point. He really didn't believe that he should be in the same room as the others. I don't know if he's in denial about his celebrity or what, but his shyness put me at ease, and I was able to talk to him like a regular guy. I looked him in the eye and said something along the lines of "I sense you're a little unsure of all this, but you should know that your passion for excellence, your musicianship means a lot to me. Christians sometimes settle for Schlock Fer Jesus. I've never got that impression from you. You may wonder if people notice. We do."

He was very authentic, very quiet, and put me totally at ease. If anything, being around him for that moment had the opposite effect--I wanted to put /him/ at ease. He was a great guy and I very much enjoyed spending a moment with him away from the spotlight.

08-15-2007 23:12 Phy is offline Send an Email to Phy Homepage of Phy Search for Posts by Phy Add Phy to your Buddy List Add Phy to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Phy: MyriadPhy YIM Account Name of Phy: bio_phy View the MSN Profile for Phy
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I spoke to Steve and Derri at C-storne.-05
Their set didnt start til 2:00 a.m (scheduled- I mean its a FEST!)
They gave my son and I time afterward, and were both very gracious and accomodating-and I'm sure they were beat.
Autographs and all...kind..

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
08-15-2007 23:54 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

i hate to even mention it.....

but tooth and nail had a bunch of them at one point....

08-16-2007 10:19 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-341.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2006

quote:

Just looked there via Google (never been to T&N's site before). They only have "Unsaid" now.

-Psalm 73:26
08-16-2007 10:23 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

quote:

All Tooth & Nail ever had was 50 copies. Thats it...and it was no big deal. They were actually cool to work with as they owned a certain percentage of the licensing on the songs used on the DVD....and rather than taking money, they simply asked for 50 copies of the DVD to sell. They actually lost on the deal as they had their copies forever, and had to sell them for next to nothing by the end.

jeffrey k.

08-16-2007 10:27 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Phy Phy is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-494.jpg

Registration Date: 02-22-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by Phy

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.If I can find a high quality way of re-releasing stuff in very small numbers, then sure....but until then....no.

jeffrey k.

I have an idea...
I think I love you.

Ok, sorry. Eddies flashback.

Perhaps you can bypass the expense of manufacturing and shipping physical DVDs entirely. Sell the concert as downloadable video and let the customers burn them to DVD at home if they so desire, or put them on their iPods, or what-have-you. Does the DA store offer this as a feature? If not yet, perhaps this is a new way to get DA / TST / LD stuff out there, saving costs, maximizing profits, and providing more products.

I spend more and more time viewing and listening to media on non-physical formats; on my iPod, on my computer, from my laptop. I've bought more music this year from online sources where I didn't have the physical disc, and my enjoyment of the event wasn't in any way diminished. In fact, this method supports fanboi impulse purchases. I'd buy the raw footage of the East Troy concert right now if I could, much less a produced show.

Another thing about live projects. I was thinking about this on the way in. We want professional quality muscianship, but we don't want perfect concerts. The fans actually like a bit of imperfection, something that stands out, as long as the music doesn't suffer. The show in Joel's basement studio is a perfect example. Mike was a little under the weather but still delivered a fine performance. The building heat spawned some gentle good humor, but didn't substantively derail the show. The banter and the music (including Steve Hindalong on a variety of percussion pieces, not just a stock drum kit) was stellar.

I'd suggest putting out a YouTube cut of one song from that venue and shop it around to Lost Dogs and TST-related sites. Then put up a poll: who would pay for a DVD of the show? Who would pay for a downloadable video of the show?

I think many (or most) people know very little about it, and it was too good a lineup to miss. It's a unique venue and the single flaw actually makes for a better product.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Phy: 08-16-2007 10:47.

08-16-2007 10:46 Phy is offline Send an Email to Phy Homepage of Phy Search for Posts by Phy Add Phy to your Buddy List Add Phy to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Phy: MyriadPhy YIM Account Name of Phy: bio_phy View the MSN Profile for Phy
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Phy
Perhaps you can bypass the expense of manufacturing and shipping physical DVDs entirely. Sell the concert as downloadable video and let the customers burn them to DVD at home if they so desire, or put them on their iPods, or what-have-you. Does the DA store offer this as a feature? If not yet, perhaps this is a new way to get DA / TST / LD stuff out there, saving costs, maximizing profits, and providing more products.

These are all good ideas, and nothing I haven't already considered.....but one thing you have to keep in mind is that in terms of doing all this digitally, you are in a distinct minority within this fan-base that would actually embrace the idea.

Not to make anyone feel bad, but one of the aggrivations of dealing with this fan base is that because of the wide swing of ages within the fans, everyone wants something different. A small group might really like digital only releases....while others will be very vocal about not EVER supporting that kind of purchase. Some would be fine with every release coming out on CDR, and others will say they feel ripped off if the CD's aren't replicated. Some fans love DVD's, and yet I still get emails from fans who are upset that I won't release everything on VHS! Some fans really like Ipods, and yet I have read posts where fans claim they don't and won't ever own one.

To further complicate matters, all of these thoughts are balled up within a few thousand fans....spread out over a few bands. So as an indie label I have to shoot straight up the middle in the hopes that enough people are interested in a release that they support it. Sometimes it works....other times it doesn't.

jeffrey k.

08-16-2007 11:09 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » On meeting your idols

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH