Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » On meeting your idols » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page On meeting your idols
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 On meeting your idols Phy 08-15-2007 10:49
 RE: On meeting your idols sprinklerhead 08-15-2007 11:20
 RE: On meeting your idols jeffrey k. 08-16-2007 02:48
 RE: On meeting your idols sprinklerhead 08-16-2007 08:59
 RE: On meeting your idols jeffrey k. 08-16-2007 09:03
 RE: On meeting your idols sprinklerhead 08-16-2007 09:02
 RE: On meeting your idols jeffrey k. 08-16-2007 09:13
 RE: On meeting your idols Audiori J 08-16-2007 09:20
 RE: On meeting your idols Zudrak 08-16-2007 09:38
 RE: On meeting your idols jeffrey k. 08-16-2007 09:57
 RE: On meeting your idols Zudrak 08-16-2007 10:08
 RE: On meeting your idols jeffrey k. 08-16-2007 09:51
 RE: On meeting your idols servantsteve 08-15-2007 11:18
 RE: On meeting your idols bereal 08-15-2007 14:01
 RE: On meeting your idols dennis 08-15-2007 16:23
 RE: On meeting your idols dennis 08-17-2007 09:11
 RE: On meeting your idols MarkyMark77 08-15-2007 14:09
 RE: On meeting your idols Zudrak 08-15-2007 14:32
 RE: On meeting your idols ladrtrk55 08-15-2007 14:46
 RE: On meeting your idols sprinklerhead 08-15-2007 15:19
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Phy Phy is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-494.jpg

Registration Date: 02-22-2007

On meeting your idols Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Tom Griswold has said for years that you should never meet your idols. It can be dicey under the best of circumstances.

I met Terry and the three-legged-dog cast a couple of summers ago in some guy's basement not far from where I live in southern Wisconsin. It was billed as an intimate, 25 person show in a basement studio. The concert was to be filmed by lo-fidelity for a prospective DVD. I was beyond psyched.

Before I left for the concert, I determined to myself that I'd stay cool about the whole thing. I was wrong on two levels.

The venue was very cool, the hosts were very pleasant and fun and gracious, and the fans were extremely interesting. However, everyone's mettle would be tested before the night was out.

Turns out, if you put that many people and those kinds of lights in an enclosed basement, it gets warm. We're talking Turkish bath warm. They cranked the A/C and tried various things, but it was what it was - very sticky.

Give 'em credit - Jeff Elbel put on a great solo opening act, and then the Dogs treated us to what somebody--I don't remember if it was Terry or Mike--called 'Sweatin' to the Oldies'. At one point, the Dogs were huddled under the one air vent over the stage like pigs in a poke. They played the full show as the first stop on that summer's tour, but I rather doubt we'll see that footage. Pity. It really was a fun show.

After the show, we all moved upstairs to some guy's wife's kitchen and dining room. I wasn't going to go all fanboi on them, but after the line died down, there was a window of opportunity before they left. Terry kindly autographed the brand new (and imo underrated) Island Dreams CD, and I timidly asked for a picture.

They swooped in like they knew what they were doing, the picture was snapped, and I was left standing in back, already snickering. So my one brush with the guys yields my dorkiest picture of all time:
http://tinyurl.com/3yc5mb

I should've stopped with the autograph for the sick. Wink

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Phy: 08-15-2007 10:52.

08-15-2007 10:49 Phy is offline Send an Email to Phy Homepage of Phy Search for Posts by Phy Add Phy to your Buddy List Add Phy to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Phy: MyriadPhy YIM Account Name of Phy: bio_phy View the MSN Profile for Phy
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

RE: On meeting your idols Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've met the guys several times and have not been disappointed. On the other hand, I had a chance to meet and hang out with another huge hero of mine over the course of about a year. That was one that I wish I hadn't met and gotten to know. There was some freaky stuff going on there. I would rather just have enjoyed the image in my mind and my memories.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
08-15-2007 11:20 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

RE: On meeting your idols Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Phy
I met Terry and the three-legged-dog cast a couple of summers ago in some guy's basement not far from where I live in southern Wisconsin. It was billed as an intimate, 25 person show in a basement studio. The concert was to be filmed by lo-fidelity for a prospective DVD. I was beyond psyched..

Johne....glad you had a good time. Since I've seen various forms of this story for a couple years now....the "some guy" who's basement studio we held the concert in is owned by a dear friend of mine name Joel Funk. He is a longtime supporter of the Dogs and all of their own bands....and a saint to open his home for a concert like we had.

quote:
Originally posted by Phy
They played the full show as the first stop on that summer's tour, but I rather doubt we'll see that footage. Pity. It really was a fun show.

A couple things....this was either the 3rd or the 4th show of the tour....not the first....I'd never film or record the first of any tour.

Second....the footage and audio from the show is actually really cool. The issue is whether or not Lost Dog fans actually WANT another Dogs DVD.

I say this because the "Via Chicago" follow-up we released last December has sold all of (roughly) 250 copies in 8 and a half months. That is really bad. I literally have boxes and boxes of unsold DVD's in the label office....and the production costs have yet to be paid back.

So....as of now, I have a rough mix of the audio from the East Troy studio show, and all the footage from the cameras...but nothing is edited....and the chances are it will remain that way until I can pay to have it done.....which requires older releases to actually sell.

One last thing....if I remember correctly, you were in the Janesville area. You do realize that just a short 2 hour drive to the south there have been other Dogs and Dogs related concerts that have taken place since the East Troy show? Come on down....see a show...bring friends....have something new to write about. Tongue Big Grin

jeffrey k.

08-16-2007 02:48 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.
So....as of now, I have a rough mix of the audio from the East Troy studio show, and all the footage from the cameras...but nothing is edited....and the chances are it will remain that way until I can pay to have it done.....which requires older releases to actually sell.
jeffrey k.

Is that ice cream place in East Troy still there? It was called Lauber's or something like that?

08-16-2007 08:59 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead

Is that ice cream place in East Troy still there? It was called Lauber's or something like that?

Yeah it is....I was there in June. That place is good!

jeffrey k.

08-16-2007 09:03 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Second....the footage and audio from the show is actually really cool. The issue is whether or not Lost Dog fans actually WANT another Dogs DVD.

I say this because the "Via Chicago" follow-up we released last December has sold all of (roughly) 250 copies in 8 and a half months. That is really bad. I literally have boxes and boxes of unsold DVD's in the label office....and the production costs have yet to be paid back.

I don't know about anybody else but I didn't buy it because it sounded like leftovers from the DVD that I already had. Stuff that wasn't good enough for the first release. I would be interested in something that was new and different.

08-16-2007 09:02 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead

I don't know about anybody else but I didn't buy it because it sounded like leftovers from the DVD that I already had. Stuff that wasn't good enough for the first release. I would be interested in something that was new and different.

Thats too bad.....and especially since this isn't the case at all. The only reason the songs on the second DVD didn't make the first DVD was the Dogs played a really long set so that we would have as many songs to choose from as possible for the DVD. In order to fit the bulk of the main set, the interviews, and the solo sets onto 1 DVD, something had to go.

Honestly, I wouldn't have gone through the time and expense of releasing the second DVD if it was just a bunch of "leftovers". Maybe other labels do that kind of crap.....but I don't.

jeffrey k.

08-16-2007 09:13 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:

jeffrey k.

Yeah the seccond Via Chicago DVD, its a weird thing I still think people see it and think its the first one and not a follow up. Therefore concluding they already have it, the average fan doesn't pay attention to details.

To the second point, thats exactly why we end up editing film and all that as cheaply as possible. If we hadn't done that, we probably would of only put out Spittle and Phlegm and never put out another DVD.

If you wanted we could edit together a test of that footage for free, depending on what format it is in. You could use it or scrap it, up to you, but then you could try and keep the cost down to just manufacturing. In which case you wouldn't need to sell very many to recoup costs, unless of course there are other costs already involved such as filming or whatnot.

08-16-2007 09:20 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-341.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2006

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
quote:

jeffrey k.

Yeah the seccond Via Chicago DVD, its a weird thing I still think people see it and think its the first one and not a follow up. Therefore concluding they already have it, the average fan doesn't pay attention to details.

To the second point, thats exactly why we end up editing film and all that as cheaply as possible. If we hadn't done that, we probably would of only put out Spittle and Phlegm and never put out another DVD.

If you wanted we could edit together a test of that footage for free, depending on what format it is in. You could use it or scrap it, up to you, but then you could try and keep the cost down to just manufacturing. In which case you wouldn't need to sell very many to recoup costs, unless of course there are other costs already involved such as filming or whatnot.

Any chance that the 1st "Via Chicago" DVD is going to be made available again? I missed it and only have "Things We Left Unsaid". My mom-in-law is now a LostDogsaphile (?) and would probably love watching them as much as I would.

-Psalm 73:26
08-16-2007 09:38 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by Zudrak
Any chance that the 1st "Via Chicago" DVD is going to be made available again? I missed it and only have "Things We Left Unsaid". My mom-in-law is now a LostDogsaphile (?) and would probably love watching them as much as I would.

I really doubt it. Like I said in an earlier post in this thread, I can't really afford to release a new Dogs DVD because the current release isn't selling. Furthermore, I can't see re-releasing the first "Via Chicago" for the 50 people that might buy it when I will have to spend $$$ for a minimum of 1000 copies. If I can find a high quality way of re-releasing stuff in very small numbers, then sure....but until then....no.

jeffrey k.

08-16-2007 09:57 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Mind Peach

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zudrak

I really doubt it. Like I said in an earlier post in this thread, I can't really afford to release a new Dogs DVD because the current release isn't selling. Furthermore, I can't see re-releasing the first "Via Chicago" for the 50 people that might buy it when I will have to spend $$$ for a minimum of 1000 copies. If I can find a high quality way of re-releasing stuff in very small numbers, then sure....but until then....no.

jeffrey k.

Frown I'll look for a used copy. Thanks, Jeffrey.

08-16-2007 10:08 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:

Yeah...I agree. It's too bad...how hard is it to read an advertisement, email, etc.?

quote:

Thats a cool offer....thanks Jason. However, this thing you said: "there are other costs already involved such as filming or whatnot" is effecting all this right now. I can tell you more offline if you want....send me an email and I can explain.

jeffrey k.

08-16-2007 09:51 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Nice picture. I try not to make idols out of anyone. Those three men are very talnted musicians, but they're sinners saved by grace just like the rest of us. You do them no favors by getting all nervous around them because you met them first by hearing them on a record. Steve Taylor wrote it best in his song "Hero." I'd put the lyrics here, but I'm too lazy to look them up.

BTW, welcome out of the dark musty mushroom infested corner of the basement you lurked from for years before mustering up the courage to post.

08-15-2007 11:18 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i've met the dogs quite a few times. they are great to hang out with, but lets remember they are human. there is no need to idolize them or anyone else in the spotlight. Cool

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
08-15-2007 14:01 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Thumb Down! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by bereal
i've met the dogs quite a few times. they are great to hang out with, but lets remember they are human. there is no need to idolize them or anyone else in the spotlight. Cool

So I shouldn't make animal sacrifices to my Berger Roy Al shrine? Shocked

nada! Who do I worship now??? Confused

Help me Jebus!!! Tongue

08-15-2007 16:23 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:

So I shouldn't make animal sacrifices to my Berger Roy Al shrine? Shocked

nada! Who do I worship now??? Confused

Help me Jebus!!! Tongue

Tongue

08-17-2007 09:11 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

quote:
there is no need to idolize them or anyone else in the spotlight.

To be sure.

It's weird meeting musicians whose music you love. I think that people get nervous, not because they've put them on a pedestal, but because you feel like you know them, and yet you do not know them at all. It's hard to know what to say to someone who has given you the soundtrack to your successes and failures, your triumphs and tragedies. I don't hold Mike Roe on a pedestal, but every time I talk to him after a show, I don't do it very well. Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 08-15-2007 14:10.

08-15-2007 14:09 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Mind Peach

quote:
there is no need to idolize them or anyone else in the spotlight.

Great. Now I have to melt down the statue of Baal that I'd started re-shaping into a Lost Dogs statue. I had Mike, Terry, and Derri as the three heads of Cerberus, with Steve in front of the dog's body as the handler (since he "keeps the beat"). Wink I'll make a hockey trophy out of it now, I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
To be sure.

It's weird meeting musicians whose music you love. I think that people get nervous, not because they've put them on a pedestal, but because you feel like you know them, and yet you do not know them at all. It's hard to know what to say to someone who has given you the soundtrack to your successes and failures, your triumphs and tragedies. I don't hold Mike Roe on a pedestal, but every time I talk to him after a show, I don't do it very well. Big Grin

I was like that with Mike at the July 2006 show, but recovered for the 2007 show. I did not get a chance to talk to Terry in 2006, but I was able to do so this year and my only regret is that I did not get the chance to speak with him last year. They're all great guys.

08-15-2007 14:32 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-652.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2007

I met Greg Noll, the big-wave surfing pioneer, during a "legends" tour here at a Port A surfshop some years back.
He graciously autographed a poster for me and then I musta said something stupid and pizzed him off as we chatted. After we parted company, he just glared at me. I was afraid he was gonna wad me up into a ball like a piece of paper.
I too should have been satisfied with an 'autograph for the lame'.

Very wise advice, never meet your idols.

08-15-2007 14:46 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

If you have a problem idolizing Terry and the guys, you can do what I did. Catch Terry in line for the toilet. That really levels the playing field.

08-15-2007 15:19 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » On meeting your idols

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH