Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » On meeting your idols » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page On meeting your idols
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Phy
Perhaps you can bypass the expense of manufacturing and shipping physical DVDs entirely. Sell the concert as downloadable video and let the customers burn them to DVD at home if they so desire, or put them on their iPods, or what-have-you. Does the DA store offer this as a feature? If not yet, perhaps this is a new way to get DA / TST / LD stuff out there, saving costs, maximizing profits, and providing more products.

These are all good ideas, and nothing I haven't already considered.....but one thing you have to keep in mind is that in terms of doing all this digitally, you are in a distinct minority within this fan-base that would actually embrace the idea.

Not to make anyone feel bad, but one of the aggrivations of dealing with this fan base is that because of the wide swing of ages within the fans, everyone wants something different. A small group might really like digital only releases....while others will be very vocal about not EVER supporting that kind of purchase. Some would be fine with every release coming out on CDR, and others will say they feel ripped off if the CD's aren't replicated. Some fans love DVD's, and yet I still get emails from fans who are upset that I won't release everything on VHS! Some fans really like Ipods, and yet I have read posts where fans claim they don't and won't ever own one.

To further complicate matters, all of these thoughts are balled up within a few thousand fans....spread out over a few bands. So as an indie label I have to shoot straight up the middle in the hopes that enough people are interested in a release that they support it. Sometimes it works....other times it doesn't.

jeffrey k.

08-16-2007 11:09 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
BTW, Jeffery, thanks for all of your work. There are several releases that none of us would have if it weren't for you, and please know that all of your work (and, at times, loss of money) is greatly appreciated!

Thanks man....I really appreciate the support.

I will consider all the pre-order stuff further. I'm not opposed to it....

jeffrey k.

08-16-2007 11:13 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

So long as everyone sees and does things my way, I can be very flexible.

Until I saw that video, I had no idea how talented Mike Roe was.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by servantsteve: 08-16-2007 11:14.

08-16-2007 11:13 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.
quote:
Originally posted by Phy
Perhaps you can bypass the expense of manufacturing and shipping physical DVDs entirely. Sell the concert as downloadable video and let the customers burn them to DVD at home if they so desire, or put them on their iPods, or what-have-you. Does the DA store offer this as a feature? If not yet, perhaps this is a new way to get DA / TST / LD stuff out there, saving costs, maximizing profits, and providing more products.

These are all good ideas, and nothing I haven't already considered.....but one thing you have to keep in mind is that in terms of doing all this digitally, you are in a distinct minority within this fan-base that would actually embrace the idea.

Not to make anyone feel bad, but one of the aggrivations of dealing with this fan base is that because of the wide swing of ages within the fans, everyone wants something different. A small group might really like digital only releases....while others will be very vocal about not EVER supporting that kind of purchase. Some would be fine with every release coming out on CDR, and others will say they feel ripped off if the CD's aren't replicated. Some fans love DVD's, and yet I still get emails from fans who are upset that I won't release everything on VHS! Some fans really like Ipods, and yet I have read posts where fans claim they don't and won't ever own one.

To further complicate matters, all of these thoughts are balled up within a few thousand fans....spread out over a few bands. So as an indie label I have to shoot straight up the middle in the hopes that enough people are interested in a release that they support it. Sometimes it works....other times it doesn't.

jeffrey k.

I was hoping that you would release something on LP. Big Grin

Too bad that I don't have my 8-track player anymore. It burned up on the Pasadena freeway when my VW van caught on fire. That was a sad day.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
08-16-2007 11:17 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Phy

jeffrey k.

Too bad that I don't have my 8-track player anymore. It burned up on the Pasadena freeway when my VW van caught on fire. That was a sad day.
What's the point of selling something if it's not on 8-track? All the kids are bebopping to it these days at the sock hops.

08-16-2007 11:23 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Luteous Llama

quote:

Shows how much you pay attention.... I already have:

http://www.lo-fidelity.com/store_atc-ss-lp.html

Tongue Big Grin

jeffrey k.

08-16-2007 11:25 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by servantsteve
quote:
[

What's the point of selling something if it's not on 8-track? All the kids are bebopping to it these days at the sock hops.

You guys can joke all you want, but 90% of the emails I get regarding formats I release music on are from people that want music or video on formats that died years and years ago!

jeffrey k.

08-16-2007 11:27 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Phy Phy is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-494.jpg

Registration Date: 02-22-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by Phy

I still have Horrendous Disc on 8-track somewhere. I haven't been able to put my hands on it, mind you, but it is somewhere on my property.

08-16-2007 11:28 Phy is offline Send an Email to Phy Homepage of Phy Search for Posts by Phy Add Phy to your Buddy List Add Phy to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Phy: MyriadPhy YIM Account Name of Phy: bio_phy View the MSN Profile for Phy
Phy Phy is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-494.jpg

Registration Date: 02-22-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by Phy

quote:

How about this; release the concert as a downloadable video. The interested minority buys the concert and raves about it. You have one cut available as a sample, further whetting the appetite. If there is enough clamor, you can make a decision whether to provide DVDs, but in the meantime, you're at least making some inroads on your expenses from the download sales and the word-of-mouth will be getting out there.

Another thing to consider is that things are changing, and perhaps rapidly. People who were totally against iTunes a year ago have stuck a toe in those waters and found it easier and more cost effective than they thought. I have gotten a video iPod myself, an 80 gig one, and use it at work and at the health club. Apple opened up their catalog to support MP3, and have other selections that are available without DRM. Last week, Universal announced they are preparing to release their catalog for download without DRM. There is a clear sea change occuring right before our eyes, and what was unthinkable even six months ago may suddenly become more palatable.

And I can't stress enough the exhilaration of the digital inpulse buy, especially from an artist or outfit that you really believe in.

More grist for the mill from the Janesville area,

08-16-2007 11:38 Phy is offline Send an Email to Phy Homepage of Phy Search for Posts by Phy Add Phy to your Buddy List Add Phy to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Phy: MyriadPhy YIM Account Name of Phy: bio_phy View the MSN Profile for Phy
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

i will state, for the record, that i would very likely support a pre-order that jeffrey was involved with. this is not said as a slight to anyone else, but as a testament to the professionalism i have seen from jeffrey's releases. this from someone who does NOT pre-order, ever... i think i did once, in my life, and that was the last choir CD.

i will also say that while i pay for music downloads, i am not to the point that i would buy video downloads.... of course, i have a DivX player on the way, which might change all of that. Big Grin

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

08-16-2007 13:47 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Things are changing rapidly, but there is a sizable bubble of Christian music fans that like to stay waaaaay behind the times. Some of them come to us at Cornerstone and actually don't know about releases at all because they don't even have the internet.

Releases can be a very complicated issue. Costs involved, music ownership, making fans happy with the end product and often what is even harder is making the band happy with the end product. There can be a lot of unforeseen issues that arise. Not to even get into manufacturing issues.

We worked on the DA C2K video for a couple months but Terry wasn't happy with how it looked so there it stalled. Personally we think it looks as good as the Anahiem footage and sometimes better, and the sound is way better. But we don't want to put anything out the guys are not happy with.

Things can get very complicated with releases when there are multiple people involved. I know there were some preorders done, where we were given announcements by the management that we thought were a done deal and told to send them out. We being the email list and web guys did just that. Then the delays started, come to find out a lot of the details in the announcements were news to Terry and/or Mike. So then everyone is on the hook for something nobody really agreed to.

The announced free shirts with Mr Buchners Dream preorders is an example of just that. The preorder money came in, the money was sent to the management to pay bills or whatever. The shirts did get printed after we bugged the manager for them for months because we were getting bugged by everyone for them. Then an unforseen glitch in the plan, it costs like $5 each to send them out for something nobody paid postage on. Add to it there were also shirts for the WEWH preorder, so now you double the cost of shipping hundreds of shirts. With what money? Out of my pocket?

This kind of thing is a lot easier to avoid now that we deal directly with Terry. A lot less miscommunication. Thats sort of what we parodied with the chicken sized carved tour bus offer for anyone that bought 500 copies of the Eddies album. Some people realize and some don't that each release can very well be a huge expensive hassle.

08-16-2007 17:45 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
I second all this, except for MMs second of my original statement, which would be a third, I think; I'm fuzzy on the math. Wink

I think we just witnessed a major feedback loop here. Shocked
08-16-2007 19:32 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

Thanks one and all for the thoughts about a possible future Dogs DVD release.

The next step in this whole project will be to have (at the request of the Dogs) one song fully edited and shown to them. If they like it, the rest of the DVD will be edited and so on...

While the one song will probably be completed within the next month or so....(everyone involved is really busy, and this project isn't a priority)....if they approve the song, the earliest the guy who is doing the editing could begin the rest of the project wouldn't be until this coming January. The key though is that the guys would have to approve the test song....

In other words, best case sceanrio would mean this DVD would maybe be out for next June/July in time for Cornerstone. If this is the case, then we can all discuss pre-orders next spring....which I'm really not opposed to....the DVD would really need to be in the can for me to consider it though.

One last thing....for those of you on the fence about the "Via Chicago, All We Left Unsaid" DVD....I can't stress enough that the songs we included on this DVD are as strong in performance as the songs we included on the first DVD. I will go as far as to say that of the 2 DVD's, I like the second more....and I really mean that. There is a humor and something touching about the second DVD that I think was absent to a certain degree on the original. Give it a chance...you won't regret it.

jeffrey k.

08-17-2007 04:44 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J

We worked on the DA C2K video for a couple months but Terry wasn't happy with how it looked so there it stalled. Personally we think it looks as good as the Anahiem footage and sometimes better, and the sound is way better. But we don't want to put anything out the guys are not happy with.

I wondered what happened to that. That's a shame, I was looking forward to that DVD.

08-17-2007 08:06 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

quote:

One last thing....for those of you on the fence about the "Via Chicago, All We Left Unsaid" DVD....I can't stress enough that the songs we included on this DVD are as strong in performance as the songs we included on the first DVD. I will go as far as to say that of the 2 DVD's, I like the second more....and I really mean that. There is a humor and something touching about the second DVD that I think was absent to a certain degree on the original. Give it a chance...you won't regret it.

jeffrey k.

I can second that. I purchased it at a Dogs show this summer (having already owned the 1st volume) and yes, the quality is just as good. It is well worth the money, IMHO.
08-17-2007 09:04 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Originally posted by bereal
i've met the dogs quite a few times. they are great to hang out with, but lets remember they are human. there is no need to idolize them or anyone else in the spotlight. Cool

So I shouldn't make animal sacrifices to my Berger Roy Al shrine? Shocked

nada! Who do I worship now??? Confused

Help me Jebus!!! Tongue

Tongue

08-17-2007 09:11 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

I love this thread- it got me to look back at lo-fidelity and see some tuneage to buy. I just wish I was more wealthy.

08-17-2007 14:31 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » On meeting your idols

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH