Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Lovin' Spoonful » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Lovin' Spoonful
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 The Lovin' Spoonful Mountain Fan 07-30-2007 11:19
 many of the original members everybody 07-30-2007 11:56
 RE: many of the original members Mountain Fan 07-30-2007 15:03
 Didja know... Jerry Davison 07-30-2007 12:10
 RE: Didja know... sprinklerhead 07-30-2007 13:40
 RE: Didja know... wes berlin 07-30-2007 14:33
 RE: Didja know... sprinklerhead 07-30-2007 14:45
 RE: Didja know... wakachiwaka 07-30-2007 21:37
 RE: Didja know... Mountain Fan 07-30-2007 15:02

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

The Lovin' Spoonful Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I put this in on-topic because on the 3rd CD of When Everyone Wore Hats, Terry says in the interview that the musical nature (using many different instruments they weren't necessarily good at) was inspired by an album of the Lovin' Spoonful's. Go to the DA Webstore and buy the bookset if you don't have it!

Anyway, I noticed they played a festival in our old town and it looks like many of the original members are still in the band.
http://tinyurl.com/3ca8t8

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-30-2007 11:19 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
everybody
Normal Noggin

images/avatars/avatar-492.jpeg

Registration Date: 07-30-2007

many of the original members Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

except for the main guy (John Sebastian), kinda like DA without Terry. In fact the last time I saw John Sebastian he was doing an info-mercial for Time-Life.

I'm currently involved in organizing a collection of important and relevent songs from the mid sixties and I'm amazed how much this period continues to influence music today. The Lovin' Spoonful were very much a part of that.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by everybody: 07-30-2007 12:00.

07-30-2007 11:56 everybody is offline Homepage of everybody Search for Posts by everybody Add everybody to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Thread Starter Thread Started by Mountain Fan
RE: many of the original members Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by everybody
except for the main guy (John Sebastian), kinda like DA without Terry. In fact the last time I saw John Sebastian he was doing an info-mercial for Time-Life.

I'm currently involved in organizing a collection of important and relevent songs from the mid sixties and I'm amazed how much this period continues to influence music today. The Lovin' Spoonful were very much a part of that.

Cool

i saw the picture and saw several graying guys and assumed that they had to be original members. Big Grin kinda bad they don't have their main guy. Frown

Got a few miles left ...

07-30-2007 15:03 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

Didja know... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

...that the Lovin' Spoonful were originally intended to be the stars of the show that would eventually become the Monkees? When they proved to have little to no personality on screen, Bob Raefelson and Bert Schneider (the Monkees' show creators) decided to hire actors to portray a band rather than try to deal with an already existing group. Stephen Stills also tried out for the band but had bad teeth. legend has it, when asked if he knew anyone who looked exactly like him with better teeth, Stills suggested his roommate and fellow folkie, Peter Tork.
07-30-2007 12:10 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

RE: Didja know... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

As a kid, I was a huge Monkees fan. When I moved to L.A. I was working for MCA for awhile. The office was on the Universal lot. I would see lots of celebrities but I wasn't impressed until I saw Micky Dolenz at lunch one day. I returned to my childhood and was all starstruck. How pathetic is that?

Speaking of Lovin' Spoonful, were they the band that would occasionally pop into the Woody Allen film, "What's Up Tiger Lilly?"

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
07-30-2007 13:40 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

RE: Didja know... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
When I moved to L.A. I was working for MCA for awhile. The office was on the Universal lot.

whoa! that is too strange. what year(s) were you there? i worked for uni distribution (probably in the same building) around 1990 or 91.

it's a small world afterall. Big Grin

07-30-2007 14:33 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
quote:
When I moved to L.A. I was working for MCA for awhile. The office was on the Universal lot.

whoa! that is too strange. what year(s) were you there? i worked for uni distribution (probably in the same building) around 1990 or 91.

it's a small world afterall. Big Grin

Please don't start singing that small world song. Smile

I was in MCA records at the tape vault (back lot near the King Kong bldg) at the same time. I was back there when the big fire happened. After that I was a temp at Uni and MCA records until taking a position at MCA Home Video (also in the 508 building). I was there until 95.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
07-30-2007 14:45 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Speaking of Lovin' Spoonful, were they the band that would occasionally pop into the Woody Allen film, "What's Up Tiger Lilly?"

Name three Presidents...

You are correct, sir.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 07-30-2007 21:40.

07-30-2007 21:37 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Thread Starter Thread Started by Mountain Fan

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Davison
...that the Lovin' Spoonful were originally intended to be the stars of the show that would eventually become the Monkees? When they proved to have little to no personality on screen, Bob Raefelson and Bert Schneider (the Monkees' show creators) decided to hire actors to portray a band rather than try to deal with an already existing group. Stephen Stills also tried out for the band but had bad teeth. legend has it, when asked if he knew anyone who looked exactly like him with better teeth, Stills suggested his roommate and fellow folkie, Peter Tork.

Cool history! always neat to learn a few new tidbits. Smile

there's also (or was) video on youtube of peter tork introducing The Buffalo Springfield as his favorite band (probably one of the FWIW clips?). that may be the clip without Neil Young where someone else was sitting in?! it's been awhile since i saw them. Red Face Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

07-30-2007 15:02 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Lovin' Spoonful

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH