Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Swirling Eddies - Cardboard Box (Preorder Preview) » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Swirling Eddies - Cardboard Box (Preorder Preview) 8 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
It's funny in the same way the movie "Brazil" is "funny."

Yeah, the humor colors the narrative, but is not the narrative. It's really more like ironical humor, where the life situation has a juxtaposition of something very different from the way it's supposed to be. Unlike Weird Al, where the humor itself is the point, Terry's songs are commentaries on the human condition, and the spiritual side of that condition, as opposed to just humor for humor's sake.

It's the difference between saying, "That cat is funny looking" and "I wonder why that cat is funny looking".

Terry Gilliam is my favorite director, BTW...

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 07-20-2007 14:31.

07-20-2007 14:30 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

HEY DR!

well - I think thats why its being compared in similarity to a Dylan technique
like say.....Subterranean Homesick blues
humorously clever lines..but the subject matter is actually quite sad..and true

Look out kid
They keep it all hid
Better jump down a manhole
Light yourself a candle
Don't wear sandals
Try to avoid the scandals
Don't wanna be a bum
You better chew gum
The pump don't work
'Cause the vandals took the handles

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-20-2007 14:52 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
achentodaze
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 02-26-2007

I think Cardboard Box comes from a metaphorically semi-autobiographical look by Terry at aspects of his own life - its a love song to his wife that essentially says "I don't have the world to offer, only my love".

I think (Only One Bum in) Corona del Mar is very similar. Put Terry in as the Bum and the whole song takes on an interesting meaning. I think the key line in that song is "and some of us think he may be the richest man who ever lived in Corona Del Mar"; and that would probably apply to Terry very well - in the sense that he posseses more important things in life than monetary riches.

In both songs, like a lot of Terry's lyrics, he is able to make a universal statement out of a seemingly much smaller and unrelated situation.
07-20-2007 16:01 achentodaze is offline Search for Posts by achentodaze Add achentodaze to your Buddy List
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-652.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2007

My impression is Terry takes the ordinary and opens a vista for the rest of us to take in anyway that fills our imagination.

Mind you, there are temporary cardboard box dwellers and there are permanent cardboard box dwellers.
The temporary dwellers still hold the hope that someday, someway, they will get throught this 'transition' and that blue skies are still visable to them.
The permanent dwellers? Not so much. Too few lucid moments only fall to continuous anesthetization or dementia, lest they be reminded of their station in life.

Terry, at least in my one time listening, is attempting to insert himself in someone else's shoes, and thereby humanizing an inhuman way of life.

Terry, ever the sublime, taking us from the scathing to the lament and also to the comedy, giving us all pause to use a portion of the 10% of the grey matter we're supposed to be using.

07-20-2007 16:49 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I see "Giants In The Land" from that perspective. The Christian bands used to be giants in that little subculture but now if you want to raise them up you 'gotta give em a hand'. Pull the dinosaurs out of the old tar pits. A boat load of songs but never a hit, the little farmer is outstanding in the field that did him in. All they wanted was a tour and a rental van. Playing bad burro licks while losing their looks. Mortality.

07-20-2007 18:33 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

from my show review post

THIS WAS THE FIRST NIGHT OF THE TOUR THAT THEY HAD THE NEW SWIRLING EDDIES DISC FOR SALE! Pleased We went ahead and bought one so we could get it signed in person, even though we preordered. I was much more impressed with the overall finished product than I thought I would be based on the 2 rough mixes that I heard. I even dig the Cardboard Box song with the xylophone a little now. Overall it is different than past SE releases but I think lyrically still a definite Eddies' thing. Musically I think it leans more towards Terry's solo efforts over the years than anything else SE I have heard. The songs are a variety of styles and speeds musically, so there's probably at least a few tracks every fan could really dig regardless of their favorite past music from Terry/DA/SE.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-21-2007 04:31 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

NICE! Glad they got em, the manufacturer is a fan and tries to overnight stuff to them on tour when there is something new. We won't have them until Monday, I hope thery look good and sound real good. Everytime we send something off to manufacture, we collectively hold our breath until we see it and play it.

07-21-2007 07:22 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

The more I listen to this, the more I think it really sounds like the Eddies. Terry's vocals really sound like Camarillo. Mike did a great job on guitar and upon a closer listen, the guitar parts do sound different overall than the Dogs. I think what caught me off guard is overall the tempo is a little slower than what I expected. However, It All Depends starts out slow but then rocks out. I think it is my favorite and I'm soooo glad it is the one they played the night we saw the Dogs. Pleased

And, ... well, ... I never would have quite expected this but it includes a Wacky Fan letter of sorts, ... sort-of in reverse. Don't want to quite spoil the surprise, but ya DAmbers (and former DAmbers) just wait. Not sure what emoticon to follow that with. Is there one for "everything"?

As far as the packaging, I do wish it came in an normal jewel case, but the booklet is quite nice and overall cool eddies-like graphics.

Got a few miles left ...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mountain Fan: 07-22-2007 23:20.

07-22-2007 23:19 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

OK, so listening with headphones most of the first half is slow, then the second half rocks pretty good.

Like I said before, there should be something every fan of any part of Terry (DA, SE, solo, Lost Dogs) would like on this release.

Got a few miles left ...

07-23-2007 11:11 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

the finished product rocks and I feel it is a solid eddies release. i'm glad we even got another eddies release in the first place - that is certainly something to be thankful for. at best i can only nit-pick at the xylophone or whatever minor things are really just more personal preferences of mine than anything. Red Face Big Grin

i burned a copy to take to listen to at work, along with some of my other favorite SE tracks off of other CDs. I am amazed at Terry's vocals on this thing still being in top form and quite comparable to the much earlier SE stuff. Pleased

Got a few miles left ...

07-23-2007 15:32 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

so far, I think Zoom Daddy is overall better than TMTSTM. but that I would even be considering such a question should say how good the new SE is. Pleased

I think that the Lost Dogs' "Only One Bum In Corona Del Mar" and especially "Get Me Ready" sounds more Eddies-like.

Don't hear anything on this SE that sounds Dogs-like, though. It's quite the solid piece of work. Pleased

Got a few miles left ...

07-24-2007 15:28 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

having pre-ordered it,
I havent had the oppurtunity to hear it yet.

Having paid $ 5.00 more for it two years ago- I will get fre shipping though.

07-25-2007 13:49 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
I think that the Lost Dogs' "Only One Bum In Corona Del Mar"
and especially "Get Me Ready" sounds more Eddies-like.

Tongue

07-25-2007 14:10 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
piece of work. Pleased

piece of - what! Shocked

07-25-2007 14:11 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
jollyholiday
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
having pre-ordered it,
I havent had the oppurtunity to hear it yet.

Having paid $ 5.00 more for it two years ago- I will get fre shipping though.

Congratulations on the free shipping jiminy!
07-25-2007 15:36 jollyholiday is offline Send an Email to jollyholiday Search for Posts by jollyholiday Add jollyholiday to your Buddy List
RocketPacks
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 05-11-2007

We got a lot more than free shipping. Roll Eyes
07-25-2007 15:37 RocketPacks is offline Search for Posts by RocketPacks Add RocketPacks to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

The number of people that got it before the preorders shipped couldn't have been very large.. the Dogs didn't even have that many copies with them. The preorderers will still be way ahead of the general public.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-25-2007 15:54 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
snowblind snowblind is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 01-29-2007

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
The preorderers will still be way ahead of the general public.

I remember General Public, but I'm having a hard time remembering The Preorderers. Were they anything like The Producers?
07-25-2007 17:16 snowblind is offline Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Roll Eyes

Cool
07-25-2007 17:23 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by RocketPacks
We got a lot more than free shipping. Roll Eyes

Yeah- but actually -should it come - Big Grin I've already paid the same as if I ordered it today-at 15.00 plus shipping (aint checked the exact total..but me thinks its close)
thats why my free (fre) was a bit short..........

I have heard 2 songs.....though.

07-25-2007 22:16 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Swirling Eddies - Cardboard Box (Preorder Preview)

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH