Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Guess what band I kept thinking of while reading this? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Guess what band I kept thinking of while reading this?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

Guess what band I kept thinking of while reading this? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

http://www.christianitytoday.com/lyris/m...06-06-2007.html

All Mixed Up

I don't know if you've noticed, but I try to ask relevant poll questions every week to gauge opinion on topics pertaining to the weekly content or something else I've heard behind the scenes.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that I asked about variety in song styles within an album. You see, one of my common critiques has been to uphold albums that offer diversity and eclecticism over those that merely offer more of the same throughout.

That's not to say I think artists should necessarily jump from pop to heavy metal, crap, or polka. But if an artist can credibly pull off an array of styles without sounding like a goof, then why not? I look back over many of the greatest artists in the history of pop/rock—The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Elton John, Queen, Billy Joel, U2, Amy Grant, Dave Matthews Band, Michael W. Smith—and the common trait they share is a variety in their sound.

For me it's a matter of holding interest. I like songs that are strong enough to stand on their own, so that as soon as the artist plays the opening of the song in concert, you know exactly what it is. I hate listening to a song and thinking, This sounds just like that other song I heard from them five minutes/years ago. If the goal of the artist is to be creative, then why not use a wide palette of sounds and styles to communicate our wide array of ideas and emotions?

That's why it troubles me that so many albums I review in today's Christian music (and to be fair, secular music as well) are anything but eclectic. The thinking seems to be, if you love the radio single, you'll also love half the album because they're almost-as-good versions of the same song. And, in fact, folks involved with record labels and radio have told me that you listeners don't want a mix of styles. There were even two at Gospel Music Week last April who asked, "Do you really think listeners want a different sound from track to track?"

I do, and many of you confirmed it. Responding to the poll two weeks ago, 87 percent of the respondents said they prefer "an eclectic mix of styles that varies from track to track." Only 13 percent said they prefer "a collection of songs that all sound alike."

I can only conclude there's apparently a disconnect out there between listeners and some (not all) in the music industry. Do you agree/disagree? Feel free to write us if you want to elaborate on your opinions of artists who mix up their sound versus artists who rely on the same sound throughout.

This week's feature interview is with hip-hop artist KJ-52, who definitely has a mix of styles on his albums. He also is troubled by the state of music for his own reasons. Check out our conversation with him concerning his desire to stay connected with his audience.

We also present to you a new Glimpse of God featuring Arcade Fire. Those familiar with the band already know that Neon Fire is one of the year's most talked about and acclaimed albums among secular critics. A lot of the songs are inspired by religious imagery and biblical references—though what we're all supposed to take away from it may still be a little cryptic.

As for the latest reviews, Dove award-winning songwriter and artist Aaron Shust is back with his sophomore effort of pop-styled worship. Hip-hop collective The Cross Movement returns with what may be their final recording. High Flight Society makes their modern rock debut with Rocketown's RKT imprint. And Gospel Dream winner Benita Washington releases a second album blending gospel and pop.

Grace and peace,
Russ Breimeier
Russ Breimeier
ChristianityToday.com

06-06-2007 18:06 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Guess what band I kept thinking of while reading this?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH