Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Daniel Amos - Horrendous Disc Deluxe » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (16): « first ... « previous 9 10 [11] 12 13 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Daniel Amos - Horrendous Disc Deluxe 16 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0016 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0016 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0016 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0016 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jyroflux
quote:
An example is Mark Heard professionally recorded DA at Madam Wong's in LA. We'd love to find that, but nobody seems to know whose storage it is in. (Similarly someone has a multitrack tape of DA live with an orchestra performing the Shotgun Angel era music.)

Wow. This is amazing. I hope both tapes are found. We got get the search parties going.

Yes, that is astounding news! What a find if those turn up some day!
02-07-2018 12:51 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah someday. I think what happens a lot of the time is that these tapes are big and heavy, someone like Ed ends up being the "archivist" for a while, then maybe he doesn't have the room and it switches to someone else. So you have that going on. Then some one records like the Madam Wong's show, being Mark Heard.. that tape could be with Ed.. nope. With the tapes we have which Ed used to have... nope. With the early DA engineers...nope. Maybe it's in Mark Heard's archive of tapes (which might be pretty big).. are they even labeled? Could they be with Mark's old manager? Could they be in Solid Rock's archive...they don't see them. After 30 years it's hard to track down. I've heard Gene Eugene used to record over tapes at the Green Room.. so there's that. Then you also have labels holding tapes they feel are theirs if a band was under contract with them at the time... even if some things might of been recorded prior to the contract. Some of that gets fuzzy.

And I think with some artists, once they record something and it's out... they move on to the next project and don't really like looking back. So in some cases, they are not to interested in the old tapes and where they even are. I've heard of one significant artist of that era who has a garage full of old recordings. I guess it's like looking back at old snapshots of when you were a kid, how often do we go there?

02-07-2018 13:27 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
mindgasket mindgasket is a male
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-18-2003
Location: Just because we're hypnotized that don't mean we can't dance!

Maybe Dan Russell knows where they are. Still hoping he’ll remaster/reissue Heard’s last three Fingerprint albums with the deluxe vinyl treatment.
02-10-2018 20:30 mindgasket is offline Send an Email to mindgasket Search for Posts by mindgasket Add mindgasket to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yeah we asked him and Janet heard.

02-10-2018 20:50 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013

Gene Eugene maybe recorded over some of the tapes (!!!) Shades of the BBC-Dr Who business.

So it seems once a project is finished the artists no longer care about the recordings, at least not as much as fans and serious fans do. I'll bet the "Dig Here..." recordings are double, treble backed up and scattered everywhere for protection.

You may have mentioned this below- but how about old tapes knocking about in the actual locations of studios/former studios? Like an old box in a corner somewhere.

And I have seen old tapes up for auction on eBay.

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
Yeah someday. I think what happens a lot of the time is that these tapes are big and heavy, someone like Ed ends up being the "archivist" for a while, then maybe he doesn't have the room and it switches to someone else. So you have that going on. Then some one records like the Madam Wong's show, being Mark Heard.. that tape could be with Ed.. nope. With the tapes we have which Ed used to have... nope. With the early DA engineers...nope. Maybe it's in Mark Heard's archive of tapes (which might be pretty big).. are they even labeled? Could they be with Mark's old manager? Could they be in Solid Rock's archive...they don't see them. After 30 years it's hard to track down. I've heard Gene Eugene used to record over tapes at the Green Room.. so there's that. Then you also have labels holding tapes they feel are theirs if a band was under contract with them at the time... even if some things might of been recorded prior to the contract. Some of that gets fuzzy.

And I think with some artists, once they record something and it's out... they move on to the next project and don't really like looking back. So in some cases, they are not to interested in the old tapes and where they even are. I've heard of one significant artist of that era who has a garage full of old recordings. I guess it's like looking back at old snapshots of when you were a kid, how often do we go there?

02-10-2018 21:59 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Administrator

Well a lot of those studios they used no longer exist. Horrendous Disc was recorded 40 years ago.

02-11-2018 08:48 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

"I've heard of one significant artist of that era who has a garage full of old recordings. I guess it's like looking back at old snapshots of when you were a kid, how often do we go there?"

I think you're thinking of Frank Zappa. He even kept super-old consumer reel-to-reel tapes of him and his old high school band, right up to the very last things he ever recorded. His estate's archivist has been transferring as much as humanly possible to digital. The Roxy shows have recently been released as a box, so I suppose there's incentive to keep it all in some shape.

For the most part, however, the stuff drifts. Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) frequently talked about how hunting down tapes for a proper Aqualung remaster came down to petitioning and rummaging through old studios, the record label, the different distributors for Chrysalis records (first Warners, then CBS, then EMI). For a band entity on that level to have that much difficulty is telling.

Measure that against DA, which rarely stayed with the same label for very long, and you can envision the level of drift that's occurring.
02-11-2018 18:05 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Administrator

That's probably the case with lots of artists, I was thinking of a specific old school christian rock artist though. Terry told me of one that has a garage full of old recordings.

The last manager Terry had used to argue with us some about getting rid of all the old DA titles. He wanted only the then new album for sale at shows and on the site. We wanted as many titles as possible available. The way we saw it, especially with DA, there are people that come to the site to buy their old favorite album.. say a fan of Shotgun Angel. They come to the site for that and while making a purchase they go ahead and buy something else. Most of the sales here have been that way.

02-11-2018 18:23 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the latest Kickstarter update. My excitement grows!
02-22-2018 10:04 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
haveapez haveapez is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 09-02-2008

Any news for the folks who missed the kickstarter to purchase this album? I try and keep on the band releases, but this one got by me.
02-27-2018 11:30 haveapez is offline Search for Posts by haveapez Add haveapez to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for haveapez
Woolly Eggwhisk

Got another email update which was appreciated. Did not find the Survey at the Kickshtarten site so I just dropped a random size (XL) into the comments. Is there an actual survey section somewhere? I will not wear the shirt. I will put it away or put it on an Ed mannequin.

03-07-2018 00:09 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by WoaaahJelly!
Got another email update which was appreciated. Did not find the Survey at the Kickshtarten site so I just dropped a random size (XL) into the comments. Is there an actual survey section somewhere? I will not wear the shirt. I will put it away or put it on an Ed mannequin.

same here except i will most definitely wear the shirt! Happy

Cool
03-07-2018 10:58 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Administrator

In Kickstarter, log in... on the right side it has a button for 'View Pledge' the survey is there if you are supposed to get a shirt.

Or click on the "Campaign" tab at the top of the page.
It will take you to the page for this Kickstarter.
There's a box on the right that tells you your pledge.
If it has a date at the bottom, you already filled out the survey.
If you haven't filled out the survey, there should be a button there saying something like "Fill Out Survey."

03-07-2018 11:49 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

oh, when i look at that i did the survey back in december..

Cool
03-07-2018 16:32 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Woolly Eggwhisk

Mine says that too. So it seems I filled out the survey MONTHS ago and plum forgot about it. I think I have some sort of Berger cross-contamination, jumped thread-to-thread in the server. KKKKKKSASZZZZeeeeee

03-08-2018 02:20 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Woolly Eggwhisk

Regarding the new bonus stuff- I think I have the book coming, and the fourth CD (I paid the top tier) but I want the LP set box and maybe the autographs. But I hesitate because I don't know if I want autographs all over my pretty stuffs. Now anything that has been autographed is just fine (I won't reject it) but could we get something like an autograph sheet? That sounds a little mad but if it had a cool graphic I would frame it.

03-19-2018 13:46 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

What we ended up doing is having the fellas autograph photos of themselves... it’s separate from the main packaging. That’ll keep the packaging in good shape. They would be cool to frame.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-19-2018 15:08 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

That's awesome.

03-20-2018 07:13 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

For the non-Kickstarter folks....

Greetings DA fans!

From Stunt Records and Solid Rock Records…..

We wanted to bring you additional details about each of the 5 discs included in our Ultra-Deluxe Edition Horrendous Disc Box Set.

The Ultra Deluxe Horrendous Disc Box Set includes 5-CDs and a 48 page booklet in a special collectors box. The booklet contains rare photos, full credits for all tracks and essays by various writers. The discs include the newly remastered album – re-assembled from the best quality masters available (which has never been done before), three discs of bonus tracks including never-before-heard unreleased songs, demos, live tracks, alternate mixes and takes, and the infamous “Ten Biggies” demo. Plus, we’ve thrown in a live CD recorded in 1979 and some other goodies! You’ve never heard Horrendous Disc sound this good!

Disc One: Horrendous Disc – The album Remastered from the highest quality master tapes. The original release used inferior masters that contained strange edits. We’ve went back to the highest quality masters possible and restored all tracks to their complete form.

Disc Two: Other Marvels & Mysteries – This disc collects 18 tracks including out-takes from the Horrendous Disc sessions, rare tracks found on the Canadian and UK versions of Horrendous Disc, and previously unreleased 24-track recordings of “So Certain,” “The Wonder Is You,” “Fairy Tale,” “Cinema Girl,” “Talk,” “She Gets To Me,” “Flying Saucer (UFO),” “Tonight,” and the 4-track demo of “Laissez-faire.”

Disc Three: Ten Biggies from Beyond and Other Star Tracks from Planet X - This disc features 19 tracks including the entire “10 Biggies” demo reel which has never been heard before – “I’ll Be Right Here Waiting,” “Taking A Fall For You,” “Hello Aloha,” “Weather Girl,” “Twilight Love,” “She Gets To Me,” “Cinema Girl,” “Talk,” “The Wonder is You,” and “Noelle.” This disc also includes numerous 4-track demos of tracks from Horrendous Disc and others.

Disc Four: Wondrous Cosmic Flashes - This disc includes 22 tracks in all – including radio ads, alternate mixes, historically significant live tracks, and several surprises!

Disc Five: Daniel Amos Live in ’79 - This is a never-before-released 16-track live concert recording offering a glimpse of the band’s live show during the HD years!

Preorder today at www.DanielAmos.com/store/

The Horrendous Book is a full-color companion to the HD Box set featuring never-before published concert photos, album artwork outtakes, behind the scenes studio photos, memorabilia, as well as (for the first time ever) a detailed account of the making of the album – including early concepts for the album itself, songs that didn’t make the cut, unused artwork ideas and notes, alternate track orders and more!

Preorder today at www.DanielAmos.com/store/

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-13-2018 11:07 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

It looks fantastic. I am so excited for this!

I should buy Bibleland some day to have every main Daniel Amos album, and then spend a few weeks listening through the whole thing.
05-14-2018 07:32 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Pages (16): « first ... « previous 9 10 [11] 12 13 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Daniel Amos - Horrendous Disc Deluxe

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH