Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Daniel Amos - Horrendous Disc Deluxe » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (16): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Daniel Amos - Horrendous Disc Deluxe 16 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0016 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0016 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0016 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0016 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi Ron!

01-21-2017 08:13 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
jparker jparker is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 04-23-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Should we expect an announcement soon?
02-25-2017 15:30 jparker is offline Send an Email to jparker Search for Posts by jparker Add jparker to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of jparker: jeff_parker@mac.com
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

Yes... trying to finalize a few details and then we should be making an announcement.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
02-25-2017 18:44 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

That's.....horrendously great news!

www.smashthatcomputer.com
02-26-2017 04:07 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Administrator

For the first time ever, Daniel Amos' classic album Horrendous Disc is being produced in a multi-disc Deluxe, Collectors Edition through a joint effort between DA's Stunt Records and Larry Norman's Solid Rock Records!

Help us make it happen!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/946...-deluxe-edition

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-01-2017 19:21 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I pledged!

03-01-2017 20:30 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

Me too! Hard to choose but I wanted the T-shirt. That still left lots of options.

www.smashthatcomputer.com
03-02-2017 00:04 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013

Question- I think I have posted earlier that I am more of an Eddies fan and anything DA before about the 1990's I have a dearth of. I do want to fill out my DA collection and I need some of you old timers to tell me what recommends HD over the other 1980's DA stuff. I think I want a pair of LPs at a minimum but why this and not some of the other DA stuff? What makes this one stand out.

Thank you for the answers and I will hang up the phone and take my answer off the air.

03-02-2017 11:40 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Is there an option to buy vinyl but still get a digital copy? I see digital copy offered in the first package but not again.

03-02-2017 13:38 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Administrator

The download will probably be offered to all of the higher tiers.

03-02-2017 14:41 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Smile

03-02-2017 15:49 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

This one has me a little hopeful. The CD I have of HD sounds like it was mastered from a cassette. Dang I hope you guys can restore it to it's full glory. Which means I hope the master tapes are in good condition for the core songs.I guess I'll have to pony up so that we can find out.

03-02-2017 20:03 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

The original records back in the day were mastered from the wrong master tapes. We are transferring and using the best source tapes available in both the Solid Rock and DA archives, then it will all be mastered.

03-02-2017 20:07 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

That sounds even more promising.

I made my pledge.

03-02-2017 20:11 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

Website needs KickStarter link Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I know that you reached your KickStarter goal with, largely, just the email that went out. Are the band members going to promote it on their Facebook accounts and will the website have a new banner that let's visitors know?

I remember purchasing the original vinyl from a "Christian" bookstore and the owner questioned how a bunch of guys in costumes (centerfold picture) could actually be Christians. Same guy didn't go to his daughter's wedding due to a disagreement he had with the groom over the amillennialism vs premillennialism vs postmillennialism debate. Sad.

Thanks for making this happen!
03-02-2017 23:06 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yes more promotion is coming... were regrouping a bit since we met the initial goal so fast.

03-03-2017 18:40 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Smile Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Made my pledge. At long last, it shall be mine.

By the way, there's a typo at the end of the Kickstarter text: "Kikcstarter."
03-04-2017 08:45 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

I see that the kickstarter is not 5 days old and it's almost 80% over the goal. Very nice, I'm glad -- this should be extremely encouraging.

I'm curious about the wrong source being used -- does this mean for the album in 1981? Or are you referring to them being a couple of generations removed from the masters they should have used for cutting the LP or wrong versions altogether?

Incidentally, speaking of HD trivia and alternate takes, can anyone shed light on the Solid Rock release of Horrendous Disc done only a few (heh, 8 maybe?) years ago -- not the one with Larry singing on it -- the other one that had what seemed to be alternate mixes (but I've always wondered about a couple of those tracks). There were no liner notes, really, so no information about those particular mixes and what they were about. It was a peculiar release during, I guess, a peculiar time at Solid Rock.

Thanks for these efforts, guys.
03-05-2017 00:57 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

It's marvelous that this effort has been so wildly successful -- even for myself, I wonder why this album is such a landmark in my life -- and evidently it is in the lives of many others. Few albums by any artist seem to strike this chord in me -- only a couple of DA albums do the same thing. Since seeing the announcement of this campaign earlier this evening, I just had to put HD in the player and listen again, even till after 1AM.

As for "more promotion is coming"... is that additional pledge awards? I certainly will be checking back during March to see how far we can get this.
03-05-2017 03:32 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

The album had a long and complicated history. Being recorded originally for Maranatha, then taken to Solid Rock and distributed by Word. In the transition a couple of songs were dropped and a couple added. Various mix down masters were made of various quality over this period, at various stages of the record.

From the Timeline:

September 7, 1977:
Daniel Amos, in a session that began at 1PM, records "Happily Married Man" at MartinSound Studios in Alhambra, CA.

June 10, 1978, the band began working on Horrendous Disc.

November 7, 1978:
Masters for Horrendous Disc are assembled at the Record Plant. The track list at the time was "I Believe In You," "Man In The Moon," "Never Leave You," "Tidal Wave," "Out Across the Sky" on side one; "Fairy Tale," "On The Line," "After All These Years," and "Horrendous Disc" on Side two.

Masters for a planned EP are assembled at the Record Plant. Tracks included "Happily Married Man," "Blazing Hats," "I Rebuke You Bro Part I," "After All These Years," "Fairy Tale" and "I Rebuke You Bro Part II."

By April 3, 1979, the band started mixing the album, including "I Love You #19." They settled on a final track list on August 26, 1979.

September 1979:
A test pressing of Horrendous Disc was made by Word. The band took a copy of the record with them on tour in Hawaii but they did not hear the test pressing until Spring of 1980. They were surprised to find out that Word had printed the disc with an incorrect track order. The test pressing's track list is as follows: the Flying Saucer sounds, "On The Line", "Never Leave You", "I Believe In You", "(Near Sighted Girl with Approaching) Tidal Wave", "Sky King", "I Love You #19", "Man In The Moon", "Hound of Heaven", and "Horrendous Disc."

July 1980:
Word radio promo man "dangerous Dan" Hickling releases the 10" Horrendous Disc ep to radio stations, with Blue and White swirled vinyl. Side one (33 1/3 rpm) features "I Believe In You," "Hound of Heaven" and "Horrendous Disc." Side Two (78 rpm) has the flying saucer sounds, and "On The Line."

The test pressing and 10 inch EP were from the wrong master tape.

December 1980:
Word Records Vice President Stan Moser informs CCM Magazine of the current status of DA's long-delayed Horrendous Disc. Moser indicated that Norman still had the legal rights and physical control of the Daniel Amos record. Stan: "Well, here's what we've got. What we have in our warehouse right now is, I believe, 25,000 jackets with the wrong songs listed on the back. And we have 10,000 8-tracks and cassettes of finished product that have only nine songs and I think there are ten songs that are supposed to be on the final album. So we've had those in our warehouse for about 90 days. Once we reached that stage, we realized that something was wrong somewhere. And then Larry informed us that the 8-tracks and cassettes were pressed from the wrong master tape, or created from the wrong master tape, and that he would furnish us with the finished master tape that would correspond, as I understand it, with the jackets we now have."

Even by this point, there was a mixup still occurring with master tapes. And when the album was finally released on April 10, 1981, there were differences in the final pressings between the UK, US and Canadian versions. Those differences can be attributed to different mix down tapes. Who knows why it was mixed up, and franky in relation to this release, we don't care.

With input from the band and Solid Rock's help, we are going to make sure everythig is the way it was originally invisioned. Solid Rock has gratiously shared materials from their vault, and we have access to DA's vault, so it's just a matter of transferring all the right stuff, getting it mastered with the proper layout and production. I think the end result will be something everyone will be happy with.

03-05-2017 07:31 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Pages (16): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Daniel Amos - Horrendous Disc Deluxe

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH