Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (18): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? 5 Votes - Average Rating: 8.205 Votes - Average Rating: 8.205 Votes - Average Rating: 8.20
Posts in this Thread Author Date
« Previous Page
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? Batesy 04-06-2007 12:03
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? jiminy 04-06-2007 13:34
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? minutia 04-06-2007 17:18
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? Toque Boy 04-08-2007 19:39
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? wayneb 04-09-2007 16:32
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? aslansheart 04-09-2007 22:14
 I remember waiting too voxrob 04-13-2007 13:54
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? audiori 04-13-2007 15:59
 That was the missing song? voxrob 04-16-2007 18:36
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? Myron 04-14-2007 01:37
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? peawinkel 04-14-2007 11:02
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? Mark 04-14-2007 20:03
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? dennis 04-14-2007 22:13
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? dennis 04-14-2007 22:14
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? audiori 04-16-2007 21:09
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? Commander Cote 04-18-2007 15:35
 Fortunately... voxrob 04-18-2007 19:18
 RE: Fortunately... sprinklerhead 04-23-2007 09:58
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? audiori 04-18-2007 16:24
 RE: Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? Matt K 04-23-2007 08:58
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Batesy Batesy is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

images/avatars/avatar-428.gif

Registration Date: 04-06-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I am jazzed about this release. I was jazzed when the first cd finally came out. There was a time when this album seemed forever locked away with Larry Norman. I remember I went to one of Norman's shows back in the early 90's and I asked him the likelyhood of HD getting released and he just kinda laughed at me and said releasing that album was not likely. It's wonderful that there are these lavish releases for DA's albums after fans have had to scavange around for so many years grabbing up what they could and at times paying nutzo prices (radrockers auctions anyone?).

04-06-2007 12:03 Batesy is offline Send an Email to Batesy Search for Posts by Batesy Add Batesy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

yikes - I was married and divorced in 78..
it was NOT a very good year fer me....

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-06-2007 13:34 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
minutia minutia is a female
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 02-25-2007

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Looking forward to it! Pleased
04-06-2007 17:18 minutia is offline Search for Posts by minutia Add minutia to your Buddy List
Toque Boy Toque Boy is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 12-08-2002

I'll be getting one! Oh, and I was 6.
04-08-2007 19:39 Toque Boy is offline Send an Email to Toque Boy Search for Posts by Toque Boy Add Toque Boy to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

Ah....I was 21 in 1978. That makes me.....50 soon.....

I admitted it !!!!!!

(Guess I will get the CD to "celebrate" )

www.smashthatcomputer.com
04-09-2007 16:32 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
aslansheart
Normal Noggin

images/avatars/avatar-430.gif

Registration Date: 11-06-2005

Great News! Get it before it gets you!

04-09-2007 22:14 aslansheart is offline Homepage of aslansheart Search for Posts by aslansheart Add aslansheart to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

I remember waiting too Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I even asked them about it when they came and played some concerts on Kauai.

In the release notes/booklet/whatever (of which, there should be something), instead of rehashing the controversy, it would be nice to hear what some of the band members 1) thought they were going to try to put together, especially in the wake of the "visionary" Shotgun Angel and 2) were they concerned that, in 1978, this music really was going to push the outside of the envelope in ccm? I mean, in those days, how much of this music could/would they be performing in churches, which was still a very common venue? They can also talk about the original song order. And it might be nice to hear from some long lost DA members -- Mark, Alex?

A couple of questions about the release:

- This release (and there are at least 2 discs) will include the HD album itself? How many discs, anyway?

- Is this release going to include the numerous songs recorded between HD and Alarma? Or is that 2-year period going to be covered elsewhere (there are about 30 songs from that time period, right?).

- Are there any copies of any of the rough mixes? I talked to a DJ years ago who had a tape (I think he got it from one of the guys in the band) of a rough mix of the album and he thought the rough mix was great. He even thought it was stronger in places than the released version -- alot of energy, especially a song that was not included on the released version.

- And finally, can we clear up the tenth-song thing? It was mentioned by the DJ I talked to (he said it directly followed, without a break, one of the songs on the LP -- and I think I can figure out which one it is). It was mentioned in the review of HD in CCM (I think John Styll wrote the review and he wasn't sure which version was going to be released). Including, if anyone can remember, why that song was dropped.

- Is Larry keeping some tracks for a Solid Rock release?

Thank you.
04-13-2007 13:54 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

We don't intend to spend any time in the booklet on the controversy, and we told Larry that right up front. We feel like that angle has been done to death and this release should focus on the music, the sessions and the band at this time period.

Our goal is to include all of the band members in the liner notes. It might be good to send some of them questions that they could answer.. so, we will pass on what you posted here. If anyone else has any questions they'd like to see answered, post them here and we'll send those along as well.

quote:

A couple of questions about the release:

- This release (and there are at least 2 discs) will include the HD album itself? How many discs, anyway?

It will include the complete album plus a boatload of stuff nobody's ever heard before.

The phrase "two or more discs" has come up repeatedly throughout our discussions with Larry. We're at a point now where a track-order for at least two discs is being discussed.. if for some reason two discs simply won't cut it, we'll see about adding another disc.

quote:

- Is this release going to include the numerous songs recorded between HD and Alarma? Or is that 2-year period going to be covered elsewhere (there are about 30 songs from that time period, right?).

Basically, anything that wouldn't make more sense on Alarma! or Shotgun Angel will be included. Theres around 20 or so unreleased songs that were recorded around this time that will definitely be there. We're also looking into other demos, live tracks and other oddities.

quote:

- Are there any copies of any of the rough mixes? I talked to a DJ years ago who had a tape (I think he got it from one of the guys in the band) of a rough mix of the album and he thought the rough mix was great. He even thought it was stronger in places than the released version -- alot of energy, especially a song that was not included on the released version.

We have a bunch of tapes that are rough mixes, but most of them are very similar to the final album. There are certain tracks that might be included with different mixes. We also know that Larry has some alternate mixes of some tracks that might be different than some of the mixes that we have - although we would have to hear them first to know for sure. We know that at least one other person has an early mix, but so far it hasn't been tracked down. It's possible that one of the other band members might have a copy of that too.

quote:

- And finally, can we clear up the tenth-song thing? It was mentioned by the DJ I talked to (he said it directly followed, without a break, one of the songs on the LP -- and I think I can figure out which one it is). It was mentioned in the review of HD in CCM (I think John Styll wrote the review and he wasn't sure which version was going to be released). Including, if anyone can remember, why that song was dropped.

Are you referring to Fairy Tale? I think the earliest tape we have of HD (complete with the Maranatha! logo Happy ) included Fairy Tale.

quote:

- Is Larry keeping some tracks for a Solid Rock release?

Well..... we'd rather have everything included here.. but... it's hard to predict what might happen with future releases.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
04-13-2007 15:59 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

That was the missing song? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

>>"Are you referring to Fairy Tale? I think the earliest tape we have of HD (complete with the Maranatha! ) included Fairy Tale. "

That was it? I didn't even know that much. The Shirley CD notes mentioned that that song had been dropped, but I did not necessarily correlate that to the 10-song album that had been rumored. It was unclear when "Fairy Tale" had been dropped along the way -- it's always been a very unclear chronology how much more work had been done on the album after the move to Solid Rock -- that's why the final version from MM! would be very interesting to hear (and remarkable how progressive that label was).

Another poster mentioned the chronology of the recordings. I had noticed this anomaly a long time ago as well -- "Hound of Heaven" was reportedly one of the last songs added/recorded, yet, not long after Shotgun Angel, they were playing that song in concerts and it sounded very much like it does on the released LP -- it's hard to believe it was an afterthought or they were hoping to include something better. NOTE: The concerts were around September after SA was released and there were only a few HD songs being played at that point.

Isn't it funny that one of the things that makes HD such an interesting album to discuss is directly because of it's long awaited release? It was so painful at the time but it provides so much opportunity for harmless speculation in the present.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by voxrob: 04-16-2007 18:59.

04-16-2007 18:36 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
Myron Myron is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 11-03-2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by Myron

Great questions and responses there, it's just wetting my appetite even more. I'm curious to know when all the tracks were recorded, i.e. where they spread out over time, were they all with the same producer (Mike Stone?). My understanding is that "I Love You # 19" and "Hound Of Heaven" were the last tracks recorded and may not have been included on the original Maranatha version, is this true, and what were the track on the original Maranatha version. Also, what is the story on "After All These Years" and why was it included on the Euro version. And why is the intro to "On The Line" not included on the Canadian version. I'm also curious about the test pressing that Firewind reviewed in 1979 with a different track order, why was the final release different. Another question, why is "Never Leave You"'s lyrics in the jacket instead of the gatefold cover.
I'm done.

Myron
04-14-2007 01:37 Myron is offline Send an Email to Myron Search for Posts by Myron Add Myron to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

Why ask why?

04-14-2007 11:02 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

This is going to be a great release!

04-14-2007 20:03 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

04-14-2007 22:13 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

04-14-2007 22:14 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah, the "Hound of Heaven" thing is a little weird... we had heard from numerous sources that it was added very late - but like you say, it was one of the first songs from the album being performed in concert. (We actually have a really, really early version that might be included on this collection... it's interesting because it has very different background vocal parts).

I believe "Hound" was also on the early Maranatha! tape that we have as well.... I'll have to check to make sure.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
04-16-2007 21:09 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

There was a song called Cinema Girl that they were doing live during the Horrendous Tour/The Amos & Randy show, I would hope that that is one of the extra tracks. And for those wondering, I am 50 and have seen DA I believe around 10 times (hoping for the 11th). Is anyone here older? Would love to chat with whoever wants to remine...remin...talk about the good old days, and to tell tales that would just make the young whippersnappers here envious.

Good To Be Back
Commander Cote

P.S. Hey JiMiNy, Woggy, Dennis, and of course DaLe
04-18-2007 15:35 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Fortunately... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

... I'm not older, but not by much. I've seen DA about 11 or 12 times but it was very episodic -- most of those were in two separate series of concerts in Hawaii in 1977 and then again in 1980 (I went to all of the available shows), but, on the other hand, the last time was one of their last concerts -- in 1993 I think.

Actually, that show in Orange or Tustin would not have been the last one because they were going to play at some Superfest a week or two later, but they ended up not playing.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by voxrob: 04-18-2007 19:20.

04-18-2007 19:18 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

RE: Fortunately... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by voxrob
Actually, that show in Orange or Tustin would not have been the last one because they were going to play at some Superfest a week or two later, but they ended up not playing.

I think I've shared this story here before, but I like to repeat myself. I was at Superfest in 93. My wife was pregnant with our first child and had some complications. She required surgery to keep her from going into early labor and was supposed to be on bed rest. I said that she had to see the greatest band ever and we are going to Superfest to see DA. Did I mention that it was on a ski slope? I think there were a total of 3 stages at different levels. Anyway, DA was supposed to play at a stage that was up a ways on the slope. So, I pushed her up there in a wheelchair along this path made of wood chips only to find out that the stage that DA was to be on had technical difficulties. They rescheduled them for later in the day. So, we went back down the hill and watched the 77's. Boy, people around us did not like the whole "Pray Naked" thing. Some were grumbling about getting their money back. Almost time for DA again, I pushed the wheel chair back up the hill. This time we hear that they have cancelled because the electrical problems that they were having could not be resolved. I was seriously bummed out. Back down the hill. Later Adam Again played at another stage way up the hill. Since we couldn't see DA, I wasn't going to miss AA. Back up the hill. This time the girl from Crumbacher took pity on us and gave us a lift in her pick up truck. So, she got to see 2 good bands that day, our son was born healthy, and he isn't into music at all.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
04-23-2007 09:58 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:

...I would hope that that is one of the extra tracks.

Of course that'll be there... Happy

04-18-2007 16:24 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Matt K Matt K is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 05-03-2002

Woah nelly... I just read this... very exciting news!

Thats is all.
04-23-2007 08:58 Matt K is offline Send an Email to Matt K Homepage of Matt K Search for Posts by Matt K Add Matt K to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Matt K: xxthundrrblt67xx YIM Account Name of Matt K: scrapbrain_409
Pages (18): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH