Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (18): « first ... « previous 12 13 [14] 15 16 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? 5 Votes - Average Rating: 8.205 Votes - Average Rating: 8.205 Votes - Average Rating: 8.20
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jyroflux
quote:
Originally posted by Mark
I think I ordered the second day after it was listed here. It just came in the mail today.

I think I ordered mine the first day I saw it listed here. As of today it has not arrived. Perhaps they decided to fix the packaging first. Roll Eyes

since i rarely play hd, and when i do... rarely make it past the 3rd song, i'm good........... Tongue

I will listen to the whole thing, but I don't listen to HD very often either.
HD does have some nice moments on it though.

you know, i used to like that one a lot more....
but it does sound a lot like the beatles...
now keep in mind the beatles sold lots and lots of records...
but i've kind of grown .tired of those guys............ Tongue

I liked it more before it came out on CD again! Tongue
I didn't mind having to turn my record over!
And it still sounds better than the CD version I have! Shocked

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 11-06-2007 15:43.

11-06-2007 15:27 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jyroflux
quote:
Originally posted by Mark
I think I ordered the second day after it was listed here. It just came in the mail today.

I think I ordered mine the first day I saw it listed here. As of today it has not arrived. Perhaps they decided to fix the packaging first. Roll Eyes

since i rarely play hd, and when i do... rarely make it past the 3rd song, i'm good........... Tongue

I will listen to the whole thing, but I don't listen to HD very often either.
HD does have some nice moments on it though.

you know, i used to like that one a lot more....
but it does sound a lot like the beatles...
now keep in mind the beatles sold lots and lots of records...
but i've kind of grown .tired of those guys............ Tongue

I liked it more before it came out on CD again! Tongue
I didn't mind having to turn my record over!
And it still sounds better than the CD version I have! Shocked

i only had the 8-track before the 2000 re-issue... i would hook up the 8-track player for that album and that album only...... Tongue Pleased

Cool
11-06-2007 15:56 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I used to have a bunch of 8-tracks, but not HD! Shocked

11-06-2007 15:59 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I used to have a bunch of 8-tracks, but not HD! Shocked

i got it at one of them there "Christian" book stores.........
clearance for $2.99.... Pleased

Cool
11-06-2007 16:35 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
What would be really nice would to have a brand new CD.
Not old stuff re-issued.

The midgets not even cold yet!

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-06-2007 18:24 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
quote:
Not old stuff re-issued.

that's the eddies... we want some new Da! Big Grin

Cool
11-06-2007 18:25 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by audiori
quote:
Not old stuff re-issued.

that's the eddies... we want some new Da! Big Grin

Ready to preorder? Wink

11-06-2007 18:29 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

no comment........ Big Grin

Cool
11-06-2007 18:34 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-509.jpg

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

quote:
Ready to preorder?

Give it a crank!

11-06-2007 18:55 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

"If ya wanna raise em up ya gotta give em a hand..."

11-06-2007 19:13 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
Several songs are an odd mix. "On The Line", "Out Across The Sky" are both odd for starters. They don't sound like the US, Canadian, UK, EP, Rock & Religion or test pressing mixes. "I Love You #19" sounds like the US version, but "Horrendous Disc" sounds like the UK version. The songs are also out of original order. The bonus tracks sound like a little odd mixes as well.

The booklet is one sheet, looks like its printed on a home PC. And the artwork on the disc looks as if it was printed on a home PC too. Whoever Larry is paying to do his manufacturing is ripping him off, unless he is paying them like $200. Thats the main reason we were wanting to pay for the manufacturing and mastering, compare this CD to the reissue of DA's first album.

Thats my assessment after the first run through.

Uggh, I'm retyping this after losing all my typing. Now it will probably be shorter.

Tidal Wave has an organ on this version.
Fairy Tale's ending is sung acappella instead of with the instruments like on Shirley, Goodness & Misery.
Twilight Love may be different than on Our World Famous Hits. Have to hear side by side.

The new tracking running order here lends itself to an "Eerie Horrendous Disc" since it begins with "On The Line" with its eerie ending. The bookends of the album beginning with "On The Line" ending with "Horrendous Disc" promotes this ominous feel.

I still need to listen more. I know there are several versions of HD, i.e. US, UK, Canadian, test pressings, unreleased, etc. Have to compare to different versions.

Though the CD is expensive, if you are one who likes alternate or unreleased stuff by a favorite artist, it's still cool to hear.

I'm really looking forward to the Stunt version.

I just made a CD-R last night of the 9 original HD songs, After All These Years, the 6 songs from Shirley, Goodness, And Misery, As Long As I Live from Mr. Flutter single, I'm On Your Team from MFT, Everyone's Fallen Down, and Love Has Open Arms. 20 songs that make a really cool HD. I know there are a few others on the new HD, but I like the songs I picked better.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mark: 11-06-2007 20:36.

11-06-2007 20:34 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Administrator

"Twilight Love" on world famous hits is live. This version is one of the "10 Big Ones" aka secular demos. By the way... listen to "Twilight Love" with the perspective of Jesus to the bride (Church) in mind.

Revelation 3:16
So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

I think the sax on "On The Line" is different, especially at the end. And I know our version of "That Girl Likes to Talk" is mixed better than this one.

11-06-2007 21:00 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Larry's "butcher" version might be worth picking up as a curiosity (or future collector's item?), but 25 clams is a steep price to pay.
11-06-2007 21:18 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-509.jpg

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

Free the Art man!

11-06-2007 22:19 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

"Midget" certainly isn't cold here yet!!! That's because it isn't HERE yet....

Any word from Terry that he has done the autographing (or found the CD's to autograph yet)?

I'm not feeling so well......autographs for the sick?

www.smashthatcomputer.com
11-06-2007 23:43 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

The autographs were found and have been shipping.. so, you should be seeing yours too.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-06-2007 23:47 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

Horrendous Disc ... Naked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I haven't heard the CD, but it seems there is a similarity between this and "Let It Be...Naked" by the Beatles. That CD seemed to try to be similar to the original, but I believe used all different versions of songs than those used on the original album. Is that what this is?

Which brings up another question concerning what was done at Solid Rock -- was there alot of messing around and remixing of the tracks before it was finally released? Were they experimenting with different instruments, takes, etc. at that point? The Beatles release could be done because the band had done umpteen versions of the songs, but my understanding is that alot of Horrendous Disc was basically done by the time they left Maranatha.

Is there any chance that a DA veteran from those days can comment about these versions?
11-07-2007 17:49 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
Administrator

"Let IT Be Naked" is basically the Un-Phil Specter version. The original "Let It Be" concept was to do a "live" in the studio album like the original couple Beatles albums. Phil Specter put the strings and crap to the album and turned it into a "studio-ish" release. The Naked version I believe is the stripped down original version of the live in studio takes without the overdubs and arrangements. I believe they are the same takes though.

The Horrendous Disc sessions... they did record multiple versions of things, and there were different mixes mastered down. The test pressing for example was taken from the wrong master. Larry also used different mixes for the UK and Canadian versions of the album. Larry does have access to most of the multitracks and to me, this version of the album sounds as if its a mix of US, UK and Canadian versions only with someone monkeying around with adding effects to certain instruments on the multitrack. Its either from an early unfinished mix down master or someone associated with Larry was playing with some knobs recently.

We could send a copy to one of the band members and see what they say.

11-07-2007 22:38 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
We could send a copy to one of the band members and see what they say.

That's a good idea. I'd like to hear their comments. Maybe you should send a copy to all of the HD era members since time tends to affect the way folks remember things. Wink

(It's always funny listening to Brian Wilson and Mike Love discuss the past. They often remember things differently.)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jyroflux: 11-07-2007 23:11.

11-07-2007 23:10 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

Okay, I got the new Larry version of HD in the mail today. After my first listen, here's my thoughts:

Overall, the sound is still muffled. Not an improvement at all.

On The Line - The intro is spliced on to an alternate version. It sounds like an earlier take. It's slower. Terry doesn't seem to have the vocals nailed yet. The sax solo is different and a bit tentative. Very muffled.

Out Across The Sky - Again, sounds like an earlier take. The tape glitch at 1:09 isn't on Larry's earlier version. Listen to "No I believe..." at 0:54 and compare it to the other version. Muffled.

I Love You #19 - Sounds pretty much the same.

Man In The Moon - Sounds pretty much the same.

(The) Hound of Heaven - Sounds pretty much the same.

near-sighted girl with approaching Tidal Wave - There's electric piano that I don't hear in the other versions.

I Believe In You - Is more orchestrated (occurs earlier in the song). There's no echo on Terry's vocal. Backing vocals are farther back in the mix. The guitar parts are different. The fender rhodes is more prominent. There's probably more I haven't picked up on.

Horrendous Disc - I've not heard the UK version, so I'll defer to what was said earlier.

Fairy Tale - It's longer and I can't quite figure out why. I think maybe the tape was running slower in parts of the new version. The a cappella bit is in both versons.

After All These Years - Other than Fairy Tale, it's the best sounding of the bonus songs. The others are demos complete with dropouts and mike pops.

11-08-2007 20:38 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Pages (18): « first ... « previous 12 13 [14] 15 16 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH