Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Daniel Amos Discography » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Daniel Amos Discography
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

well, if Da does do that, or get the rights, i think lo-fidelity should re-issue them...
you guys do a great job.. Smile

Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by joey: 11-30-2006 17:47.

11-30-2006 17:47 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
Thats false. What creates a market is wanting something they can't get for free. People are only willing to pay for something they can't get any other way. As soon as its available for free the market starts to shrink and die.

That is true, but it's also just as true as more times passes with stuff out of print, the less of a market there is.
It's a shame, but a fact.

Yep to both. Frown Crying

I still disagree. If the market was stagnant, and things went out of print and stayed out of print, the market would shrink. For example, an artist that has passed away and the label lets everything go out of print, and people forget about him and no new people are exposed to the music. Then I would agree that the market for those old albums would shrink.

This is not the case with an artist like Terry or DA. He gains new fans through the Neverhood stuff, catscratch, or the lost Dogs material. These new fans will want the old albums, they will buy them when they are available as long as someone doesn't offer it to them for free.

In fact, a lot of work has gone into building the fan base over the last several years. The idea is to build the market as big as possible so Terry and the guys have the income necessary to not have to do preorders, and to be able to put out albums on a good schedule. Those people that work with booking the shows, those people that put on the shows, the labels and people that give money to produce stuff. The people that get the guys in the newspaper and in magazines, people like Terry's son or Linda who push them on myspace. That stuff helps, it builds the market.

People that give away the 'product' for free to the built market basically undermine all the work everyone is doing. Because the goal of the work is to get more and more people to purchase the music, which brings in the money it takes to continue.

----

On the other topic, it might be a possiblity to remix some albums. In some cases I know where the multitracks are. We even had thought about doing a 5:1 mix of some albums for special release. Its a thought. There is a few albums we wouldn't have multitracks of, I think Frontline stuff for example.

It would be legal for Terry to rerecord basically any album. Terry owns most of the publishing rights. Thats a different thing. The recording can be copyrighted as an album, for example Horrendous Disc is owned by Solid Rock. But Terry can rerecord the songs or release different non-album recordings of those songs such as live versions because he owns the publishing.

11-30-2006 17:51 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

WOW>

i had assumed when terry and others spoke of not owning those, that publishing was in there........cool news indeed, even if he doesn't start re-recording stuff!!

so many artists sign away publishing, i just always assumed....

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

11-30-2006 17:59 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

For example Zoomdaddy music, Cancel and Eat or Twitchen Vibes is Terry's publishing, a lot of the albums will have that on the music, even if the album is owned by BEC, Frontline, Benson, KMG, Solid Rock, or whatever.

11-30-2006 18:28 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

quote:
Originally posted by joey
well, if Da does do that, or get the rights, i think lo-fidelity should re-issue them...

Thanks....I appreciate that. Part of me thinks though that if Terry had studio time to record he'd probably want to spend it recording new material vs. re-recording old records. I know this is the case with Mike. A couple months ago I asked him if I could pay the current 77's to record the few songs off of the "88" live record that were never recorded in the studio....and he laughed and said he couldn't think of anything he'd rather do less! So there you have it.

In terms of the DA re-releases that are planned, Jason and Eric really have a cool vision for these records, and they really are the guys for the job. The time it takes to do this stuff just is what it is....especially in cases where you have to go to another label or owner and work out deals. Heck...it took me over a year to get KMG to finally allow me to pay them through the nose to re-release "Ten Songs".... Roll Eyes

jeffrey k.

11-30-2006 20:10 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.
A couple months ago I asked him if I could pay the current 77's to record the few songs off of the "88" live record that were never recorded in the studio....and he laughed and said he couldn't think of anything he'd rather do less! So there you have it.

jeffrey k.

man i would love to hear that.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

11-30-2006 20:36 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

quote:
quote:

Heck...it took me over a year to get KMG to finally allow me to pay them through the nose to re-release "Ten Songs".... Roll Eyes

jeffrey k.

And I appreciate that you did...'cause now I have a copy of that album. Pleased
11-30-2006 20:39 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Thats false. What creates a market is wanting something they can't get for free. People are only willing to pay for something they can't get any other way. As soon as its available for free the market starts to shrink and die.

That is true, but it's also just as true as more times passes with stuff out of print, the less of a market there is.
It's a shame, but a fact.

Yep to both. Frown Crying

I still disagree. If the market was stagnant, and things went out of print and stayed out of print, the market would shrink. For example, an artist that has passed away and the label lets everything go out of print, and people forget about him and no new people are exposed to the music. Then I would agree that the market for those old albums would shrink.

This is not the case with an artist like Terry or DA. He gains new fans through the Neverhood stuff, catscratch, or the lost Dogs material. These new fans will want the old albums, they will buy them when they are available as long as someone doesn't offer it to them for free.

In fact, a lot of work has gone into building the fan base over the last several years. The idea is to build the market as big as possible so Terry and the guys have the income necessary to not have to do preorders, and to be able to put out albums on a good schedule. Those people that work with booking the shows, those people that put on the shows, the labels and people that give money to produce stuff. The people that get the guys in the newspaper and in magazines, people like Terry's son or Linda who push them on myspace. That stuff helps, it builds the market.

People that give away the 'product' for free to the built market basically undermine all the work everyone is doing. Because the goal of the work is to get more and more people to purchase the music, which brings in the money it takes to continue.

----

There is always interest for what new stuff Terry is doing,
however when the old stuff is out of print, it's just a missed opportunity.

I still stand by what I say.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 12-01-2006 12:19.

12-01-2006 08:10 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
quote:
quote:

Heck...it took me over a year to get KMG to finally allow me to pay them through the nose to re-release "Ten Songs".... Roll Eyes

jeffrey k.

Me too. Pleased

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
12-01-2006 12:36 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eis
quote:
quote:

jeffrey k.

Me too. Pleased

Me too, too!

It would be nice to see one of us win the lotto and buy KMG.
That would be what I would do if I won the lotto.
If I played the lotto.
Hmmmm.

12-01-2006 15:54 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Kit
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 11-30-2003

quote:
quote:
or even better, do it with dfbb... Shocked
if terry can't ever get the rights to that album, could he re-do it that way?
would that be legal? Confused

As far as I understand this, any artist can re-record anything they want, but they would still have to pay the owners of the music to do it. It's just like a band covering a song...same .concept.

Cracker did this recently. They have had a long running dispute with Virgin Records over their records....which came to another head earlier this year when they found out the label was doing a "Best Of" without consulting them. They asked Virgin to not release the CD as there had already been another Best Of released just a couple years earlier, but Virgin told them to more or less....well....go fornicate themselves....at least according to the band. To complicate matters, the band had a new album they were going to release (on another label as they are no longer on Virgin) and the "Best Of" was scheduled to come out at the same time, which only made things worse....

So....the band delayed their new record release, found out what the track list for the Virgin "Best Of" was going to be, and then went into the studio and re-recorded every song live. Then, to mess with Virgin, they told all the fans to not buy the Virgin version, and then released their own "Best Of" on the same day as the Virgin release....outselling it 10 to 1. In the process they came close to paying off all their publishing debts to Virgin, and apparently will soon own all their old records!! Nothing like a label shooting itself in the foot....I mean Virgin did get "paid", but Cracker is coming out ahead.

jeffrey k.

And then they tacked on that "Ain't Gonna Suck Itself" song. It's hilarious. Big Grin

I saw Cracker in concert recently. The Elms opened and were OK live, but I don't find them very interesting on CD. Cracker on the other hand schooled us in the art of rock.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 12-03-2006 23:32.

12-03-2006 23:31 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Pages (4): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Daniel Amos Discography

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH