Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Dfbb » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Dfbb
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 Dfbb tchandler 10-11-2006 10:17
 RE: Dfbb joey 10-11-2006 12:05
 RE: Dfbb joey 10-24-2006 16:18
 RE: Dfbb jiminy 10-11-2006 11:14
 RE: Dfbb tchandler 10-11-2006 11:15
 RE: Dfbb Ron E 10-11-2006 11:28
 RE: Dfbb tchandler 10-11-2006 11:32
 RE: Dfbb Ron E 10-11-2006 16:57
 RE: Dfbb tchandler 10-11-2006 12:10
 Tim!!!! bereal 10-11-2006 12:14
 RE: Dfbb tchandler 10-11-2006 12:21
 RE: Dfbb bereal 10-11-2006 12:29
 RE: Dfbb Woggy 10-11-2006 12:34
 RE: Dfbb Woggy 10-11-2006 12:34
 RE: Dfbb Woggy 10-11-2006 12:35
 RE: Dfbb bereal 10-11-2006 12:38
 RE: Dfbb tchandler 10-11-2006 12:40
 RE: Dfbb Woggy 10-11-2006 12:57
 RE: Dfbb dorfsmith 10-13-2006 22:52
 RE: Dfbb bereal 10-11-2006 12:43
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

Dfbb Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

hi folks! happy, er, wednesday.

recently, jasoooooon (uvulapie) asked me about darn floor big bite, about how the song came about, and the album itself and what i remembered about it. i thought i'd answer it here.

the song started with the bass part which sort of just popped into my head (actually my hands) and then i had only the very basic guitar part and chord structure, and then Terry, and Greg (with all the great guitar invention) made the song what it is. i think i've said this before: it all really starts and ends with Terry. he's the one who puts it all together and there would be no DA if there were no Terry. but the other thing about that record is that, to me at least, sonically speaking, Greg practically owns the record with all the guitar stuff he did.

(there's a technical term you can only come by after playing music for 35 years: "guitar stuff")

what i remember about making the record is this:

it was the first DA record that Greg, and Terry and i sat around in a room and made stuff up (musically) together. the music (Terry always comes up with the vocal melody and writes the lyrics) was mostly created and captured initially on a cassette player in the living room of Greg's apartment in pasadena, ca.

it was the second record we recorded on Doug Doyle's recently purchased 24 track machine at 3-D studios (the other half of his orange county duplex.) we recorded vox humana on an 8 track at 3-D, then he bought the 24 track and we did fearful symmetry on it.

i was 27 years old at the time, and it was the first record that, evidently, i had any idea at all about how to go about playing the bass (i have no clue whatsoever as to what i was thinking, or thought i was doing on the previous 3 records--if you doubt, listen carefully to vox--i suck--[and i'd been playing bass for 15 years by then!]). i was married 2 years to Maria, living in a 600 square foot apartment in south pasadena, and, because we were fairly poor at the time, i brought a lot of chicken salad sandwiches to the studio for lunch (why the hell was it specifically chicken salad??)
10-11-2006 10:17 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

RE: Dfbb Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

c.. glad i found this on sale...

hi tim! Big Grin

Cool
10-11-2006 12:05 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Thumb Down! RE: Dfbb Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by joey
c.. glad i found this on sale...

Tongue

Cool
10-24-2006 16:18 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

HEY CHAN MAN......

great tale!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
10-11-2006 11:14 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

Thread Starter Thread Started by tchandler
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

hey, jiminy!
10-11-2006 11:15 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

and now we know the rest of the story... though I think you're still holding back...

10-11-2006 11:28 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Daniel Amos

hey, Ron!

holding back? seriously, ask me anythingSmile
10-11-2006 11:32 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by tchandler
hey, Ron!

holding back? seriously, ask me anythingSmile

Touchy, I think that proves it!!

Okay, really, there has to be some serious bathroom humour that took place or a story about someone being absolutely incompetent or suggesting something that everyone else had to roll their eyes at behind their back during the recording, come on, offer dirt on someone...

okay now I'm stirring up trouble among brothers, I think I'm working for Shatan. Sorry.

10-11-2006 16:57 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Daniel Amos

hi, joey!
10-11-2006 12:10 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Tongue! Tim!!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

good to see you here! great story............

especially this part
quote:
(there's a technical term you can only come by after playing music for 35 years: "guitar stuff")

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

..........is chicken salad all maria knew how to fix????? Confused

Tongue

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
10-11-2006 12:14 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

hi bereal! no, it wasn't Maria--i kept making chicken salad and i have no idea why now.
10-11-2006 12:21 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

oh, that's too funny........... Big Grin

Smile
10-11-2006 12:29 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

........prolly cheap, and easy to throw together, and you must've liked it?

Either that, or you're just weird Wink

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

10-11-2006 12:34 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

........prolly cheap, and easy to throw together, and you must've liked it?

Either that, or you're just weird Wink

10-11-2006 12:34 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

ooooooo, COOOL............double post !

and i wasn't even trying Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

10-11-2006 12:35 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Ubique Epoque

it must've been worth saying again. i shoulda said so. chicken salad is cheap and easy to make. yummmmmmmmmmm.............

i never get chicken salad unless i get it somewhere else because mf doesn't like it. if i make it, i only like it while it's fresh ~ i have a serious aversion to leftover chicken............i won't eat any chicken dish left over. i'd rather eat peanut butter or tuna or sardines as to eat leftover chicken.................

Smile
10-11-2006 12:38 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

hi Woggy! David Lynch would go to a Bob's Big Boy and order the exact same lunch every day for years. maybe i had the same problem?
10-11-2006 12:40 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

quote:
hi Woggy! David Lynch would go to a Bob's Big Boy and order the exact same lunch every day for years. maybe i had the same problem?

Hmmm, that could be ONE of your problems Wink

heh heh........................

HEY, Tim, we're getting SNOW here in the North Country today! What do you think of that????

10-11-2006 12:57 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

quote:

I don't know if I've ever mentioned it but I really like David Lynch. Tongue

10-13-2006 22:52 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

i went to college with a lady who ate the exact same lunch everyday: a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an apple.

Smile
10-11-2006 12:43 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Dfbb

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH