Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Eins, zwei, eins! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Eins, zwei, eins! 2 Votes - Average Rating: 1.002 Votes - Average Rating: 1.002 Votes - Average Rating: 1.002 Votes - Average Rating: 1.002 Votes - Average Rating: 1.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Eins, zwei, eins! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It was mentioned quite some time ago that in "The Double," Terry and whoever else was chanting, "one, two, one" in German seemed to be mispronouncing "ein" as "eins." Well, I was listening to Nena's 2005 #1 hit "Liebe ist", had to look up a translation online, & found this line in the original German: "wir sind zwei und wir sind eins." (We are two and we are one)

So, I looked in our Manual of European Languages for Librarians & found this bon mot (bolding is original):

"Ein is declined like the indefinite article, the form eins being used in counting and telling time. Zwei and drei have G[enative] -er and D[ative] -en, but they are only used to avoid ambiguity. The others may have D -en when used without a noun, e.g. auf allen Vieren, on all fours.

I guess "eins" is also used when it doesn't have a noun. Anyway, in short, the word "eins" appears to be correct in the song "The Double."

We now return to something people besides me find interesting. Big Grin
09-14-2006 15:08 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So, only a librarian could find that interesting? Big Grin

Maybe they got some advice from their local library before recording so they could be sure and get it right? Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
09-14-2006 15:18 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i don't really care if it was the correct german pronunciation...

Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by joey: 09-15-2006 11:08.

09-14-2006 15:57 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

I found it interesting in the same way that I find poetry interesting.

The less I understand what they are saying, the more interesting it is to me.

Gabe, is there any way you can translate that for the common man?

09-14-2006 20:36 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by joey
exactly... who the hell cares? Confused Mad

curmudgeon in your soup?

09-14-2006 20:57 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
I found it interesting in the same way that I find poetry interesting.

The less I understand what they are saying, the more interesting it is to me.

Gabe, is there any way you can translate that for the common man?

plain and simple: terry used it right. Wink

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
09-14-2006 21:55 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by Gabriel Syme

quote:

Me. But don't worry. I won't burden you any further.
09-15-2006 08:44 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

RE: Eins, zwei, eins! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel Syme
"wir sind zwei und wir sind eins." (We are two and we are one)

I guess "eins" is also used when it doesn't have a noun. Anyway, in short, the word "eins" appears to be correct in the song "The Double."

I care as well, theres nothing more on-topic on the DA board as talking about DA and their songs.

I find that translation interesting as relating to "The Double", because it almost sounds as plural of one. We = one. Which is basically exactly what the song is about. "Watch now as the one speaks now as two", "Watch now as the two turn in to one" The old man, the fleshly creation and the spirit, new creation will be reunited as one being even though on earth while one is alive or in control the other is dead or a shadow if itself.

09-15-2006 09:03 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

quote:
quote:

Me. But don't worry. I won't burden you any further.

no worries... it was a question, who cares? and obviously somebody does... so never mind me... Wink

Cool
09-15-2006 11:07 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

That is interesting.

i think Joey needs to spank his double. Mad

09-15-2006 11:09 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by .backs.
That is interesting.

LOL! Big Grin

Should he throw in an extra lick to grow on? Tongue Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

09-15-2006 11:40 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

Please confine your licking to that dreadful thread down below, sir.

09-15-2006 11:42 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:

Shocked Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

09-15-2006 11:48 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:

Shocked Big Grin

Tongue

Cool
09-15-2006 12:32 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
quote:

Shocked Big Grin

Tongue

That great white buffalo story in the news got me thinking about Nugent, so here's some fer ya (in a continuation of a terribly divergent and downward spiral from an originally quite noble thread Red Face ) It even has Japanese for dorf! Tongue :

Got a few miles left ...

09-15-2006 13:28 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

RE: Eins, zwei, eins! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
quote:
"wir sind zwei und wir sind eins." (We are two and we are one)

I care as well, theres nothing more on-topic on the DA board as talking about DA and their songs.

I find that translation interesting as relating to "The Double", because it almost sounds as plural of one. We = one. Which is basically exactly what the song is about. "Watch now as the one speaks now as two", "Watch now as the two turn in to one" The old man, the fleshly creation and the spirit, new creation will be reunited as one being even though on earth while one is alive or in control the other is dead or a shadow if itself.

add a third one and you get a trinity......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jiminy: 09-15-2006 14:20.

09-15-2006 14:20 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

quote:
quote:
That is interesting.

LOL! Big Grin

Should he throw in an extra lick to grow on? Tongue Big Grin

I have a song called I Licked A Zombie at www.elmusicofantastico.com at the bottom of the covers and demos section Happy

Actually, click here Big Grin

http://www.elmusicofantastico.com/radian...0Zombie_128.mp3

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dorfsmith: 09-15-2006 15:38.

09-15-2006 15:36 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

why, ..... I know that song! Shocked

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-16-2006 22:51 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Shocked Shocked Shocked

09-17-2006 11:40 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Eins, zwei, eins!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH