Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Jevon the Tall unloads on LITTLE, big » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Jevon the Tall unloads on LITTLE, big 6 Votes - Average Rating: 7.006 Votes - Average Rating: 7.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
The music, mostly by Rob Watson... is sort of similar to
a Brian Wilson solo album. If you are used to it, it sounds
good... kinda odd if you are not used to it though.

Do I hope that all of Terry's music has that sound from now on?
No, but I am glad he can experiment and go in all kinds of
musical directions. I think that style is fitting for those songs,
and I think Terry always kind of does that.. fits the music to the
lyric. Or lets the song have it's own life, no matter what that may be.

But that's why I like Terry's and DA's music...I want to hear something
new and be shocked everytime I put a CD in. Terry has always
been able to get me to accept styles of music I would otherwise
not listen to. Maybe not at first, but I give em a try.

I especially like "Mammas in the Desert", that is a very cool song.
It kinda shows you exactly where Terry was at at that moment.

I agree. I like LB, would not like all his CDs to sound like this, but one is great and more than kinda fun! Smile )

08-29-2003 14:10 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Little, BIG is a difficult one Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I liken it to Avocado Faultline; both discs are quality stuff, but you really have to be in the mood to appreciate them... They take their stylistic cues very seriously.

And while "Lovely Lilly Lou" is totally a Brian Wilson song, I'll gladly take that so long as I don't lose "Momma's In The Desert, Daddy's In The Sky"...
08-31-2003 19:56 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes. We mustn't lose Momma; she is a definite keeper.
08-31-2003 20:27 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

RE: Little, BIG is a difficult one Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
And while "Lovely Lilly Lou" is totally a Brian Wilson song, I'll gladly take that so long as I don't lose "Momma's In The Desert, Daddy's In The Sky"...

It is very much a "Brian Wilson solo kinda CD".... cept it's better! Cool

09-02-2003 09:16 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Thread Starter Thread Started by Jevon the Tall
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I tried again ...

Let me remind those who are unable to separate me not enjoying the music, to not enjoying the lyrics "Terry is a writer who can twist a phrase in a way most wordsmith’s dream of - Witness the emotion of Mama’s in the Desert."

Musically this is still not quite there - would I buy it again?

Yes.

09-02-2003 11:44 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

I had lunch with... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

... Rob Watson today!

He's a great guy. I had no idea that he is a member of The Surfaris!

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

and since it's a topic I feel strongly about,

LITTLE, big is better than John Wayne.

so there.

oh I forgot about You Lay Down.

Okay, other than You Lay Down, LITTLE, big is better than John Wayne.

Nevermind, they're both great!

dangit. I never take a stand.

August 2005
09-30-2003 16:42 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Mad Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You are forgetting Writer's Block and JW!
09-30-2003 17:33 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

Yeah I know. And Boomtown.

If I consider all parts, I'll never choose the best.

good grief

August 2005
09-30-2003 17:37 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
lostmyshape lostmyshape is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 10-02-2003

Hello, i'm new... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

and i'm going to be the one person who completely agrees with Jevon. i've been reading these boards for months and finally decided to post... so hello.

little, BIG was sort of a dissappointment to me. it was only after repeated listenings that i could get through all the krappy keyboard sounds and some of the kluttered arrangements and hear the great songs underneath. terry is still terry, afterall -> songwriting brilliance.

unfortunately i feel that way about all the projects that rob watson has been heavily involved with... just not up to terry's other stuff musically. how can l,B even compare with Avocado Faultline (definately one of the best albums of the last 10 years!)? maybe i'm just a sucker for the real instrumentation (along with superb pedal steel work) that phil madeira brought to that album. the love and joy and quiet memory is much louder in that album than in l,B, IMO.

i'm sorry if this comes to an affront to some of you. all of us can't love EVERY terry album (well, maybe we can). just wanted jevon to know he wasn't crazy. and it's great to finally post. i'll try to do it more often.

oh, and i can't as enthusiastically call l,B brian wilson-like. it's sort-of like an album that's like an album that's brian-wilson-like. have you guys really LISTENED to Pet Sounds or Smiley Smile lately?
10-02-2003 08:39 lostmyshape is offline Send an Email to lostmyshape Search for Posts by lostmyshape Add lostmyshape to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

^ Great 1st post!

I haven't heard lB, so I can't vouch for you or Jevon but, welcome aboard!

10-02-2003 08:54 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

RE: I had lunch with... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by zippetydoodaddy
... Rob Watson today!

He's a great guy. I had no idea that he is a member of The Surfaris!

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Dave Raven is too, right?? Confused

10-02-2003 08:56 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

JW is a great disc! Cool

10-02-2003 08:57 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

Ahhhhhh! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I LOVE the John Wayne album. One of my fave's. It had to grow on me, but now I treasure it.

This might require a POLL Shocked but are those of us who hold JW and GRS as possibly two of our faves--are we a minority?
10-02-2003 09:50 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Put it this way, Theo.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

.... John Wayne is far and away the best of Terry's solo disks, IMHO (unless you count Imaginarium, at which point you've at least got a horse race).... although I could throw at least 10 DA/Eddies/Dogs albums above it (actually, I just went back & looked and I had it at #15 a year or so ago Big Grin )....

But GRS? Y'r on yr own there.... Tongue Big Grin

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
10-02-2003 10:14 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

grs is one of the best dogs albums.

the flow is good. the songs are great (it seems to me that this was a pivital time in terry's writting), and the sound is incredible!

if anyone doesn't like the album.....they need to listen to it again.

10-02-2003 10:50 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool "They" respond.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
grs is one of the best dogs albums.

the flow is good. the songs are great (it seems to me that this was a pivital time in terry's writting), and the sound is incredible!

if anyone doesn't like the album.....they need to listen to it again.

Actually, the thing that kills GRS for me is the complete LACK of flow.... and the best song on it isn't even Terry's.... at least it's better than Real Men.... well, you know.... Big Grin ... but that's IT. Tongue

Big Grin

10-02-2003 10:56 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

RE: Hello, i'm new... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by lostmyshape

Tryingtoactcasual? Big Grin

quote:
and i'm going to be the one person who completely agrees with Jevon. i've been reading these boards for months and finally decided to post... so hello.

Yo, baby! Cool

And FWIW, I always completely with Jevon. Except for when I completely disagree with him. Big Grin Since I haven't heard anything off this except for "Lovely Lillie Lou," I will refrain from comment. But let's just say that didn't inspire to me to re-join the ranks of the completists here. Big Grin

quote:
how can l,B even compare with Avocado Faultline (definately one of the best albums of the last 10 years!)?

Heyheyhey, let's not get crazy now! Tongue

quote:
i'm sorry if this comes to an affront to some of you.

You greatly overestimate our affrontability, lms. But if you'd like some pointers on how to REALLY offend us, do a name search on "chrome".... Big Grin

quote:
all of us can't love EVERY terry album (well, maybe we can). just wanted jevon to know he wasn't crazy.

I'm not sure how Terry's occasional musical lapses would be evidence of Jevon's mental state one way or the other.... I sure wouldn't want to bear that kind of responsibility when it comes to Jevon.... Big Grin

quote:
and it's great to finally post. i'll try to do it more often.

Please do. Smile

quote:
oh, and i can't as enthusiastically call l,B brian wilson-like. it's sort-of like an album that's like an album that's brian-wilson-like. have you guys really LISTENED to Pet Sounds or Smiley Smile lately?

Yes. OH yes.... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 10-02-2003 11:16.

10-02-2003 11:15 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

RE: Hello, i'm new... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey, LMS. Are you a Talking Heads fan?

10-02-2003 12:34 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

RE: Ahhhhhh! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Theo
I LOVE the John Wayne album. One of my fave's. It had to grow on me, but now I treasure it.

This might require a POLL Shocked but are those of us who hold JW and GRS as possibly two of our faves--are we a minority?

I do! Pleased

10-02-2003 15:16 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

quote:
Originally posted by lostmyshape

little, BIG was sort of a dissappointment to me. it was only after repeated listenings that i could get through all the krappy keyboard sounds and some of the kluttered arrangements and hear the great songs underneath. terry is still terry, afterall -> songwriting brilliance.

unfortunately i feel that way about all the projects that rob watson has been heavily involved with... just not up to terry's other stuff musically. how can l,B even compare with Avocado Faultline (definately one of the best albums of the last 10 years!)? maybe i'm just a sucker for the real instrumentation (along with superb pedal steel work) that phil madeira brought to that album. the love and joy and quiet memory is much louder in that album than in l,B, IMO.

i'm sorry if this comes to an affront to some of you. all of us can't love EVERY terry album (well, maybe we can). just wanted jevon to know he wasn't crazy. and it's great to finally post. i'll try to do it more often.

welcome aboard Cool

10-27-2003 12:17 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Jevon the Tall unloads on LITTLE, big

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH