Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees 22 Votes - Average Rating: 8.3622 Votes - Average Rating: 8.3622 Votes - Average Rating: 8.36
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

track 9!!!!

is that the Dogs????

it ROCKS!!!!

07-13-2006 21:17 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Ok - I read everything anyway..now I gatta git it!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-14-2006 07:51 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by .backs.
track 9!!!!

is that the Dogs????

it ROCKS!!!!

that could almost be a 77s song......

i love it.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

07-14-2006 08:37 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

whaaa??
Huh??

I dont hear a thing.

07-14-2006 09:38 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

As Terry said, track 9 is about trying to be like Paul when he was in prison. Faithful to God no matter what situation we find ourselves in, the good and the bad. That and it ROCKS!

07-14-2006 09:51 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

my review is here

http://www.gracehotel.net/Albums/Reviews/06/LostDogs06.html

go there and check it out...please Big Grin

ok....here it is, since i know how lazy you guys are

the lost dogs are back, in the style we have come to expect from them. after the scathing reviews of last years instrumental album "island dreams", the boys come back with an album of alt-country rockers and gorgeous ballads, reminiscent of "gift horse' and the first two lost dogs albums.

for the unitiated, the lost dogs originally consisted of the frontmen of arguable the four most important bands in christian rock : terry taylor (daniel amos), michael roe (the 77s), derri daugherty (the choir) and gene eugene (adam again). with this foray, 6 years removed from gene's untimely passing, the dogs add choir drummer steve hindalong as the official fourth dog. for additional support, they toss is matt slocum on pedal steel, and tim chandler's great bass work.

the album album is a perfect mix of slow burning ballads and straight out country rock, containing some of the best music the band has ever made. the high point, for me, is the 'get me ready', a barn burner rip-roaring rocker asking God to get us ready to meet him, featuring scorching guitar work from mike roe. this could almost be a 77s song, and easily the hardest-rocking the guys have ever sounded. 'devil's elbow' is another up-tempo tune, a re-made daniel amos classic, from 'songs of the heart', that seems to be pure fun. to counterbalance these, 'one more day', the only roe-pened song on the album is a cowboy song, seeming at first to be about love gone wrong, before, like many of roe's songs, turning into an ode to seeing the better side of things, using our time here on earth wisely. the album closer, 'that's where jesus is' is an anthem type song, along the lines of 'breathe deep (the breth of god)" or "pray where you are", reminding us that god loves the downtrodden, the broken, and that he is more concerned with us helping one another than with our houses, cars, politics, or even hit songs.

Overall, the quite possibly the strongest album in the lost dogs already very impressive catalog, and one that fans of anyone involved should own.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by larryl: 07-14-2006 21:20.

07-14-2006 21:19 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Cool Thanks larryl.

I'm enjoying this disc right now. Pleased

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by bereal: 07-14-2006 22:33.

07-14-2006 22:32 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
As Terry said, track 9 is about trying to be like Paul when he was in prison. Faithful to God no matter what situation we find ourselves in, the good and the bad. That and it ROCKS!

Yes! And the lyrics may rock harder than the guitars. What a great song! The Apostle Paul meets Jimi.

07-16-2006 10:48 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Today Pastor Tom used Philipians 4 as one of his texts for a sermon on Godly contentment. i was humming track 9 the whole time.

07-16-2006 19:23 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I find the realization that what is going on in the world, our situation, as really not mattering a great freedom.

07-16-2006 23:52 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

I love the new CD. I say it generally fits in-between Gift Horse and Real Men Cry, although I concur that Get Me Ready is really so rockin' it could easily be a 77s song. Definitely a little more variety on this disc than the past few. It resembles more of the last major-label releases but I would guess was produced with much less budget so it is incredible considering that. I think the pedal steel really helps their overall sound and I am really glad to hear it back! Still have to listen more to get any more detailed in a review. Pleased

For anyone that was turned off by NCT, Mutt, and/or Island Dreams I would say: This is it, the Dogs are back and you better buy this CD! (Well, at least as much as will ever be possible without Gene). For the record, I really like all the Dogs stuff, some people just wanted exactly the same thing all the time and couldn't handle minor directional changes. At least the Dogs didn't do a New Wave record or something! Tongue Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-17-2006 11:10 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Pfiagra
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-137.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
At least the Dogs didn't do a New Wave record or something! Tongue Big Grin

At least not yet! Shocked Big Grin

07-17-2006 18:21 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
Aqua Green Toupee Aqua Green Toupee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-19-2004

I love this album! It just might be their best -- though I agree that its apples and oranges. I love those earlier, grab-bag albums the best, but this probably tops those.

And some of Terry's very best lyrics.
07-19-2006 09:12 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

agree with every word

07-19-2006 11:11 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

I posted my thoughts on the dorkboard but maybe I should do a review here when I get time. I love the whole thing. It's one of the best projects any of the Dogs have done in years.

07-20-2006 00:46 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

I got mine friday

and all the things said I concur with .

The lines in "hardened heart" may have hit me the hardest...
What a wonderfully honest tune.
the work has some pretty strong "Country" feel at times..and One Bum is a bit of comic relief (sort of)..

but I need to listen a bit closer to all to post definitive thoughts. (only got one spin - so far)
First reaction- ?
we got an pomagranate here- and I just began to peel it.
I DO like the gtrab bag feel- lots of twists and turns in the first outing .

07-23-2006 08:43 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

I'm sitting here pay the bills and talking with Mojo The Talking Manolin and.....nevermind I don't know where I was going with that one....
The new cd is wonderful! I'm not great at writing some real indepth review, and don't really care to, I just sat and listened and enjoyed every song. My favorite after one full listen would be "That's Where Jesus Is". The song "Only One Bum..." made me think of "Bungalow Bill" by the Beatles, just the type on song...Just glad there's no Yoko to spoil the party!

Terry, Mike, Derri, & Steve, You've Done It Again!
Love & God Bless, & Hope To See You During The Winter Tour!
07-23-2006 10:15 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

I hope to see the boys soon too-

I needs autographs........

07-24-2006 12:05 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
gator77da gator77da is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

images/avatars/avatar-342.gif

Registration Date: 01-15-2005

It's swell.

http://www.tollbooth.org/2006/reviews/lostdogs.html

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by gator77da: 08-01-2006 12:48.

07-26-2006 15:30 gator77da is offline Send an Email to gator77da Search for Posts by gator77da Add gator77da to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Christian Musician
The Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees by The Lost Dogs
Fools of the World

by CM Staff
“That’s Jesus in the homeless faces/With the junkies in their livin’ hell/That’s Jesus with the drunks and in the lonely places/The rest homes and prison cells/That’s where Jesus is/Where we ought to be.” Possibly the best Lost Dogs effort since the Gene Eugene era. (Specifically: the wondrous “Little Red Riding Hood”)

Lost Cabin is a work of whimsy, warmth, nostalgia, poignancy, provocation and holiness, all filtered through four guys who understand the tragedy of the human condition and the triumph of redemption. The record is an amalgamation of classic American styles, featuring the band’s best integration of influences yet. From nostalgic country to blistering rock ‘n’ roll, the band benefits from the production hand of new, fourth member, Steve Hindalong, as the sound is more supple and full than projects that carry 5 times the recording budget.

Of course, that means nothing if you don’t have songs and, oh, do the Dogs have songs. I can say, without an ounce of hyperbole, that Terry Scott Taylor is probably one of American music’s five greatest living songwriters. With a bent for provocative language and conceptual grandeur, Taylor is adept at pointing out the foibles of the human condition and, all the while, accepting his own culpability in the process. Plus, he is capable of wrapping up his rural landscapes in rich, beatle-esque hooks. Add in Derri Daugherty’s impossibly sweet vocals and the athletic musicality of Mike Roe and you have one of the most musically imposing bands of our day, in any genre.

One listen to the nostalgic Americana of “Broken Like Brooklyn” or “Whispering Memories”, the bright folk-pop of “Corona del Mar”, “That’s Where Jesus Is” or the pulsating, California rock of “Devil’s Elbow” should convince you that this is no ordinary outfit. If more convincing is necessary, take a listen to the blistering, garage-rock of “Get Me Ready” – featuring incendiary guitar work from Roe that mirrors the urgency of the song’s call to be prepared for whatever God puts in one’s path, be it edification or painful instruction. Listening to a Lost Dogs album is like enjoying a six-course meal at a five-star restaurant, in an era where most music fans are content with musical fast-food. Don’t make the mistake of consuming empty calories, when you can fully nourish yourself with The Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-26-2007 14:57 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH