Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Favorite weird songs » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Favorite weird songs
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Favorite weird songs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was in church today and someone handed me a flyer for a performance of his local band where he's a drummer. The name of the band was odd, blue monkeys or something like that.

I said, "What kind of music do you play?"
He said, "Songs I think you would like."
"What do you mean?"
"You know, kinda like Daniel Amos, a band where they don't mention Jesus too much and they have strange-sounding songs. Well, don't you like that kind of music?"

I guess my reputation for being anti-Carman, anti-Christian top 40 bubble gum preceeds me. Big Grin

What are your favorite DA songs with special weirdness (in title, lyrics, music)? Here are mine:

1. Nearsighted girl : it's that Mexican music in the middle.
2. Instruction through film : Jerry C doing those funny narrations.
3. Pyro sets a wildfire : whoever figured this to be Christian from the title? Awesome song all around.
4. Traps, ensnares : totally very cool 60's weirdness with Jerry on the sitar.
5. New car : a DA concert favorite I heard in '84 where they brought a guy in to play the sax. Very funny live.

01-19-2003 19:04 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Baxturd the White
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-18-2003
Location: "The names Mustard Seed Faith, Love Song, and especially early Daniel Band kept comin up."

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

5 is truly great live.

2 has always been a favorite. The goat lady and i used to teach ILP skills.

Are we just talkin' DA?
Tonio K's "What Women Want" is also incredible live.
01-19-2003 19:09 Baxturd the White is offline Send an Email to Baxturd the White Search for Posts by Baxturd the White Add Baxturd the White to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Traps, Ensnares is the first to come to mind. Meal is another good one.

01-19-2003 22:14 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Asherman Asherman is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-12-2002

Donna Nietche and Her Super Race of Kick Boxing Über Parrots

But don't ask me to explain
Everything
Not everyone accepts the invitation to
Come inside
But if you like a good mystery
You'll enjoy the ride

01-20-2003 00:19 Asherman is offline Send an Email to Asherman Search for Posts by Asherman Add Asherman to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Yeah, I'd have to say:

1)Traps, Ensnares: It's just outright weird!
2)Vigin Falls: Uh, yeah... Confused
3)Most of Bibleland: Big Grin

01-20-2003 01:35 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Ed takes a vacation
I enjoy the styles of music incorporated..do it in waltz time, south of the border, and even operatic at the finale.
(with the plane tires screeching ala Back in the USSR)
and the reference "wearin a labcoat as he goes walking through the pines" always struck me.....

(well - OE itself falls in the same catagory, when you actually visualize whats being said!)
jiMInY

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
01-20-2003 07:37 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Jim Muglia
unregistered

"Sudden Heaven" seemed to be a few musical styles at once, from my recollection. It seems like a quintessential DA song, as its one of those songs that only they can do, because its just so DAish. And it would definitely go in the "weird" category, although by no menas in the negative sense.

Just like only The Rolling Stones could do "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" the way its done, so "Sudden Heaven" could only be written and performed by DA.
Jim
01-20-2003 08:43
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

"Puualls a wimp"
your friend,
Keith

01-20-2003 10:48 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
I said, "What kind of music do you play?"
He said, "Songs I think you would like."
"What do you mean?"
"You know, kinda like Daniel Amos, a band where they don't mention Jesus too much and they have strange-sounding songs. Well, don't you like that kind of music?"

I guess my reputation for being anti-Carman, anti-Christian top 40 bubble gum preceeds me. Big Grin

I liked you when I met you at Lifest last year. This story just makes me like you all the more! Big Grin

For me:
1) Shedding the Mortal coil
2) Props
3) Autographs for the sick
4) Instruction thru film
5) Real Girls (I like the "Hart to Hart" vibeTongue )

01-21-2003 20:04 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Muglia
"Sudden Heaven" seemed to be a few musical styles at once, from my recollection. It seems like a quintessential DA song, as its one of those songs that only they can do, because its just so DAish. And it would definitely go in the "weird" category, although by no menas in the negative sense.

Just like only The Rolling Stones could do "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" the way its done, so "Sudden Heaven" could only be written and performed by DA.
Jim

Well spoken Mugs! Very good point!

01-21-2003 20:06 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by John Foxe
Gawsh! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"I liked you when I met you at Lifest last year. This story just makes me like you all the more!"

Aw shucks, thanks Dr., and ditto on that. (And after that whole fundie thread too - remember that? Wink )

01-21-2003 21:44 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
"I liked you when I met you at Lifest last year. This story just makes me like you all the more!"

Aw shucks, thanks Dr., and ditto on that. (And after that whole fundie thread too - remember that? Wink )

yeah... funny how life works out, eh?
Are you planning on going to Cornerstone this year? I hope?? Smile )

01-22-2003 15:57 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

"Favorite Weird Song"

DFBB - Dennis and Uncle Ralphs version Big Grin
01-22-2003 16:18 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Asherman Asherman is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-12-2002

Favorite Weird Song: Strong Points, Weak Points

01-22-2003 19:31 Asherman is offline Send an Email to Asherman Search for Posts by Asherman Add Asherman to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

I like Dance Stop
It's the 80s
Home Permanent
Grace is the smell of rain (the lyrics)
Shape of Air
Driving in England

Vox Humana is like Hamlet (there's a method to his madness)

01-23-2003 00:19 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

alrighty.....

autographs for the sick

traps ensnares

shedding the mortal coil

wiliam blake

donna nietche.....

god went bowling

sudden heaven

darn floor, big, bite

virgin falls (or gloryhound)

bakersfield

Big Grin

01-23-2003 01:45 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

BD-DAMBIT!!!!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

THANKS A LOT
I actually got it out for a while
NOW ITS BACK!!
doot doot doot doot doo doo doo..

ARGH!!!
Actually- the Chipmunk song is funny AND annoying!

Mike.....MIKE ROE!!!!

jimInY

01-23-2003 17:41 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

I'm glad I could help JiMIny Big Grin

doot doot doo
01-23-2003 17:50 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by BD
"Favorite Weird Song"

DFBB - Dennis and Uncle Ralphs version Big Grin

aw shucks Pleased

01-27-2003 16:33 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Baxturd the White
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-18-2003
Location: "The names Mustard Seed Faith, Love Song, and especially early Daniel Band kept comin up."

William Blake and Bakersfield are funny?
01-27-2003 22:44 Baxturd the White is offline Send an Email to Baxturd the White Search for Posts by Baxturd the White Add Baxturd the White to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Favorite weird songs

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH