Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » When Everyone Wore Hats » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page When Everyone Wore Hats
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

actually, it's a 3 CD set. the 3rd CD has the bonus tracks and interview.

i like terry's writing and the book is neat. (but it is a little bigger size than a CD case ... grrr Frown ) The CDs come in plastic pouch(es?) inside the front or back cover. i took mine out and put them in slimline cases. the printing on the CDs looks like a black LP record with red label. i mostly like the original songs better, but if i'm in a jazzy mood the re-recorded versions are pretty good too and mostly have a relaxing "lounge" feel to them. i greatly prefer the bare-bones version of "Devil's Elbow" on the 3rd disc to the Lost Dogs' version.

while I really like WEWH, I wish Terry had been able to go after DFBB, the DA 30th (25th?!), or other more marketable titles first that he could have been selling sooner that would have possibly funded even more stuff sooner. once again, timing is everything and i think his putting the effort into the WEWH bookset when he did showed that he really was sort of obsessed with it. perhaps only having it available maybe "forced" some people into buying it instead of other things, but I mostly doubt it because of the $25 price. I think many may have gone after what they really wanted used (maybe even converted from cassette?!). the good side of it is that i think it shows he wanted to have available what he maybe considered was his most important work.

if i had to do it over i would still probably buy the WEWH bookset AND have DFBB on cassette (can't remember but I don't think I paid more than $5 or $8 for the cassette) instead of buying the reissue of DFBB on CD. mo music is mo better.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
12-05-2008 10:47 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The timing of releases tends to fall into place on its own most of the time... everything has to line up just right, and once it does, that project can be finished and released. I don't remember there being an urgency to get SotH rereleased.. it just came together when it did. DA30th was actually being discussed (or at least a warped version of it) back then as well... it just couldn't happen yet. There were probably a dozen similar ideas floating around that just didn't come together.

Most DA (and 77s) fans are very selective with their purchases and thats always in mind. There hasn't been a single project released (since I've been around) that every fan purchased. With something like Hats, we know from the start that its going to be a limited market... but, there really isn't any project that isn't. DA30th sold to largely a different crowd than say something like Buechner's. Some only buy the more new wave stuff. Others only buy the Eddies. Some only buy the Dogs or solo records. There is a little overlap of course, but we've never been able to count on everyone buying anything. Having said that, Hats has sold very well and I think most people that bought it actually wanted to.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
12-05-2008 10:58 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
me-is-e me-is-e is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-288.jpg

Registration Date: 09-08-2008

Man, this is sounding like one of my dream recordings more and more now! Complete acoustic variations of the songs, alternate of a song from one of my favorite Lost Dogs albums, different type of packaging, and a song with "kickboxing uber parrots" in it-this should my ideal record! Honestly, this covers a lot of the qualities I start looking for bigger album purchases and all around great music. I'm gettin' too excited all ready.

Come on Doctor Who collectible stuff on ebay-sell, sell! Big Grin

me-is-e
12-05-2008 11:02 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

Oops! It is 3 CD's...and it's sitting on the bookshelf right behind me. I just didn't bother to look.

I know that it is a limited market item, but all Taylor fans that don't have the WEWH bookset are really missing out on a very unique window into Terry's ability to reinvent a song...
With an artist like Terry, the question is "what's NOT essential?".

12-05-2008 11:07 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

quote:
Man, this is sounding like one of my dream recordings more and more now! Complete acoustic variations of the songs, alternate of a song from one of my favorite Lost Dogs albums, different type of packaging, and a song with "kickboxing uber parrots" in it-this should my ideal record! Honestly, this covers a lot of the qualities I start looking for bigger album purchases and all around great music. I'm gettin' too excited all ready.

I don't own WEWH (I really wish I did), but I can tell you that Songs of the Heart is one of my favorite DA albums. Forth favorite, actually, with DFBB, Doppelganger and Alarma the only ones ahead.

12-05-2008 11:48 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Lamp Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan

while I really like WEWH, I wish Terry had been able to go after DFBB, the DA 30th (25th?!), or other more marketable titles first that he could have been selling sooner that would have possibly funded even more stuff sooner.

what i would pay top dollar for is dfbb done the way soth was in wewh.... Cool Pleased

Cool
12-05-2008 11:51 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

oh, the other thing about this release:
Terry sings higher on disc 2 than on the original release. I can't help but think it was because of the silly review that maybe he was losing his vocal range and singing lower on the original release when in fact he sung lower on purpose. it is a noticeable difference, just as much as the difference in musical styles. not bad, just different.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
12-05-2008 20:27 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » When Everyone Wore Hats

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH