Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you "discover" DA? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How did you "discover" DA?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Question How did you "discover" DA? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There are over 10,000 threads on the DAMB, so I'm sure this must have been done before. I couldn't find it, though, so here it is:

How did you "discover" Daniel Amos?

I said this in a different thread (it was off topic), but here is my story:
In 2000, I was looking for better Christian rock than what I had in my collection. I had a lot of Petra, some DeGarmo & Key, Whiteheart, Whitecross, Deliverance, Holy Soldier (their Last Train album is pretty good), Guardian, Newsboys, PFR and Bloodgood. I was at a Christian book store and found DA's Preachers From Outer Space, which looked different and interesting, so I purchased it. The first four songs didn't make a big impression on me, but then I heard track five, Hound of Heaven, and track seven, Horrendous Disc (which I'd heard Deliverance's cover of), and I was hooked.
I quickly ordered (on-line) Horrendous Disc. Wow, where was this my whole life? So a couple weeks later I ordered Alarma, which I liked even better than HD. A couple months later came Bibleland, which didn't impress me (I have come to love Out In The Cold and Bakersfield, which, after my father-in-law's passing in Bakersfield from "incompetence, tubes and wires, indifference, fools and liars," has special meaning) and Our Personal Favorite World Famous Hits. A few weeks afterward I purchased Songs of the Heart, which, really, is underrated. I love Glory Road and I still can't believe a rock band--any rock band--let alone DA, covered Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You, but they did an awesome job of it. A few months after that I found a lone copy of The Alarma Chronicles Book Set at a Christian book store. I had to have it--best "book" I ever purchased. (However, I let someone barrow the third CD--with the second half of Vox Humana and all of Fearful Symmetry--and he would never give it back and later he moved then I moved). All of this within the first year of purchasing Preachers From Outer Space.
Since then I've found probably 45-50 albums that I would consider "better" Christian rock--including The 77's, The Choir, The Lost Dogs, The Swirling Eddies, LSU, ProtoKaw, etc, etc, etc--stuff I never heard, or rarely heard, on the Christian radio and rarely saw in the Christian book stores.
A highlight of all of this is when I saw Terry Scott Taylor live (with Phil Madeira) in Chandler, AZ, for his Pretend I'm Elvis tour. I sat right up front not more than 12 feet from Terry, and got to talk with him after the show. Best concert I've ever been to.

07-04-2008 09:54 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

my first exposure to DA/terry was through LD's Scenic Routes.

07-04-2008 15:13 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
me-is-e me-is-e is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-288.jpg

Registration Date: 09-08-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, I was going to start a thread, but this one seems to relate so . . .

I have almost a guilty confession that I learned about Terry and Daniel Amos from the Lost Dogs at Scenic Routes, but I never really became amazed by Terry himself until recently. I had bought Bibleland around the time it came out, but never gave it a good listen and foolishly traded it. Also bought Sacred Cows and got the joke but didn't really want to sit through those songs that much. But I've loved "Lost Cabin" and other Lost Dogs recording so much that I recently bought MBD and Zoom Daddy and think those are great too. Waiting on DFBB, "Midget, speck, molecule" and "All Day Sing".

So, I've been wanting to start this thread for a while. Everybody please give some advice to someone who is impressed by almost musical genre, but especially creative lyrics (like Terry's, and been a huge Bob Dylan fan and artists related to him), and would list "Lost Cabin" as a favorite overall record, where are some good places to invest more DA and Terry albums when funding becomes available. Big Grin

me-is-e
11-22-2008 17:26 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by me-is-e
Waiting on DFBB

Fresh off the presses, baby! You won't regret it.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 11-22-2008 17:55.

11-22-2008 17:51 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
me-is-e me-is-e is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-288.jpg

Registration Date: 09-08-2008

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:
Originally posted by me-is-e
Waiting on DFBB

Fresh off the presses, baby! You won't regret it.

Glad to hear! Have two songs as a sampler that a fan put up on youtube and love those. Thought it would be worth getting for those. Looking forward this like everyone seems to be. Happy

me-is-e
11-22-2008 18:49 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

"Suspension's the buzz, out at Wheaton..." Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Freshman year @ Wheaton College 1981, Scripture Press contest, won Horrendous Disc and Alarma. Those were the first recordings I ever heard.

Doppelganger was the first I actually bought. Bought Vox. After Vox, bought K&I, and I was a little worried that there would be no more DA. Bought FS, BftA, the DFBB. After DFBB, I heard about the Eddies, that Terry had formed another band, and decided it was the end of DA.

Lost track for a few years. 1994 I saw Bibleland in a store, bought it, then reconnected and started to get the back catalog. It got rather expensive at times having to bid on eBay for rarities like the CD version of Let's Spin and others.

Since then I've gotten every recording as soon as it was released, figuring they would eventually become rare and expensive to get after the fact. Very true for Alarma Chronicles and other rarities.

The point of all this:
Recordings are usually the cheapest and most available when they first get released. There are several new old items for sale right now. Buy them as soon as you get a chance, $15-20 is very little compared to what we spend for other things. In the end, you won't regret it.

Does anyone regret not getting some Terry rarity?
Confused

11-22-2008 19:28 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

RE: "Suspension's the buzz, out at Wheaton..." Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

A friend took me to a concert by this group "Daniel Amos". She was really into christian music, and knowing that I liked music in general, thought I'd enjoy it. I was floored by the show. Loved it. Bought the first two albums at the show. This was back in the late 70s.

Followed them ever since. Loved Terry's first two solo albums. Thought that "Motorcycle" was one of the best albums I'd ever heard. When the Lost Dogs began, I had a new band to follow. I kinda missed out on the Swirling Eddies, but I've caught up.

Last year the Dogs came through Houston, and I took a stack of CD booklets to have autographed. Terry was impressed that I'd seemingly bought everything he's ever done. And so far, I think I have....
11-23-2008 17:42 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

RE: How did you "discover" DA? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
...I'm sure this must have been done before. I couldn't find it, though...

If you are interested in the stories told on the previous incarnation - look here.

11-24-2008 12:06 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

I posted my journey on the other thread. It stinks that you really have to look to find quality stuff like this while the bland sounds of worship are everywhere.

11-24-2008 12:57 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

In the Bargain Bin Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think I posted this elsewhere but. . .

It was 1992 and I was shopping through the discount bin at Insight Christian Bookstore in Schenectady, NY. I had gone to buy some other album, probably the newly released Petra or something. I had a couple of extra bucks and I saw a tape copy of "Let's Spin." I already had "Catch that Angel" on a sampler disc from Frontline and I remembered appreciating it so I decided to purchase it. As soon as I got in the car I brok the celpophane and placed it in my mom's tape deck. Neither of us was prepared for the opening sequence, particularly while driving through downtown Schenectady. My mom thought someone near by was in trouble. Anyway, it was a little beyond me at that point so I did not listen to it very much. Not long after this I purchased a sampler tape at the same bookstore called WalPaper that had "Hole in the World" on it. I immediatly loved the creativivity of the song. So I quickly went back to the store and bought "Motorcycle" on tape. I also bought "Dig" because I was impressed by Adam Again on the same sampler. It was not too long after that when I was listening to the frontline sampler and discovered the stylistic similarities and I got to wondering. Eventually I figured out that the eddies and DA were the same (for the most part) and I continued to fall in love. All of a sudden "Let's Spin" got a lot more attention. The next Christmas, my brother gave me "Little Red Riding Hood" and I discovered Terry and Gene in that band. I also discovered Derri's name was there. I knew Derri because my brother and I were really into "Speckled Bird" at the time. I also started liking Mike more at this point. Well, then I started getting everything I could find with Terry's name on it. It is a joy each time I hear a new or old sound connected with Terry Scott Taylor.

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows
11-24-2008 15:12 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

For me it goes back to the one two punch of HD, and Alarma. I cut my teeth on HD and to this day it is one of my favourite albums - however, it was Alarma that really got me hooked deep. I remember being sprawlled ( I can really take up space) out in my room with the gatefold open, and the liner notes and story trying to puzzle it out. Over the years the Chronicles better, but the collected story remained disconnected until the bookset brought it all together.

The next great one two punch came with FS, and then DFBB which took art and rock to another level.

Of course I'm not alone here - most of us are pretty hardcore musicologiests after a fashion, and we play connect the dots, as such I have a lot of related artists whose names I'd read in the credits somewhere.

To this day I still pick things up because of word and name association. Heck without DA, I'd have saved a lot of money.

Thanks Terry,

Thanks a lot.

11-24-2008 18:10 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

I first heard of them around '85 or '86 when my former boss, an older Christian lady who didn't like rock much, dumped a few pieces of vinyl on me that she'd gotten who-knows-where. One of these was the !ALARMA! RADIO SPECIAL. I listened to this & got curious. Later my best friend let me hear HORRENDOUS DISC. At that time one still could pick up HD & the debut album for $1 in cut-out bins, and I eventually did so. I don't know what order I got all the albums in, but I recall actually getting FEARFUL SYMMETRY (ultimately one of my least favorites) first 'cause it had just come out. I also recall that SHOTGUN ANGEL was near impossible for me to find for a long time.

11-24-2008 19:02 ftg3plus4 is offline Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2007

I posted this elsewhere:

Angels Tuck You In was #1 song on the "hipper" of the 2 Christian radio stations in Tulsa, OK for 2 weeks in 1983 (the other station was the Imperials, Carmen, Sandi Patti station). Fell in love immediately and bought the cassette in the Oral Roberts University bookstore, where Doppelganger was #1. #2 was U2's WAR (It was, after all, a COLLEGE Christian bookstore). The irony--I always thought "I Didn't Build it for Me" had perhaps Oral Roberts in mind. There is a long hallway in the campus chapel with multiple portrait paintings of Oral and his family. These were the church icons. Anyway, I was hooked.

Vox Humana was released soon after and I didn't stop playing it for about a year. Saw DA at the State Theater in Minneapolis in 1984. Dance Stopped all night, all year!
11-27-2008 20:44 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Jotmo Jotmo is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 06-04-2006

RE: How did you "discover" DA? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow. I feel like an old timer.

I first discovered Daniel Amos from listening to a friends copy of their "Shotgun Angel" album in 1977. I was hooked immediately, and have been a fan ever since.

I saw them in concert for the first time at a Calvary Chapel in California, (don't remember the city) in 1980 (IIRC) just after Horrendous Disk came out. Place was packed.

Saw them several times through High School (class of '84) in various places and every year at Disney Land.

I've always marked the various phases of my life by the DA music of the time.

Starting HS, Alarma. Going into the USAF, Doppleganger. Got married/first house, Kalhoun. Kids, new job house and move to another state, Songs from The Heart and Mr. Buechner's Dream.

The music of each album bring back the feelings of those times.

Daniel Amos music has been a part of nearly every event in my life. Kid of a sound track for my memories.
12-01-2008 00:52 Jotmo is offline Send an Email to Jotmo Homepage of Jotmo Search for Posts by Jotmo Add Jotmo to your Buddy List
Wriss
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 10-16-2008

How did I find this site? Simple. I was digging through an old pile of disks when I found The Neverhood. I was then curious as to who created the soundtrack. Eventually, I found Terry Scott Taylor's name, which brought me here.
12-03-2008 22:51 Wriss is offline Send an Email to Wriss Search for Posts by Wriss Add Wriss to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

great to hear the stories, especially from som of you who've only posted a few times. Welcome and keep posting.

12-03-2008 23:05 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
great to hear the stories, especially from som of you who've only posted a few times. Welcome and keep posting.

And to guys like Wriss, keep discovering. Trying to catch up with Uncle Terry's output is like drinking from a firehose.
12-04-2008 00:29 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
jsjs13
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 11-28-2008

How i met Daniel Amos Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I first discovered them - sort of - through LD's Green Room Serenade - i was hip to The Choir and Adam Again - so once i had Perfecta and Kissers and Killers i sought out some other stuff i could find at the local bookstore - ala GRS - so then i found out there were 2 other groovy members, Mike and Terry - it all came full circle and I picked up more Lost Dogs, more 77's and eventually some Daniel Amos - I think my first shots were the HD reissue and probably Songs of the Heart, which i still think is a masterpiece, but I have since been able to dig into just about every release - what struck me was Terry's consistent ability to create classic musical moments on each album - it seems Terry has a need to create real albums where the music and songs fulfill a theme - which is cool - but beyond that, there are always classic songs on every record - where the music transcends the "theme" so to speak - those are the songs that live on for me - My favorite records have and will probably always be:

Doppelganger
Fearful Symmetry (i've always dug that one)
SOTH and MBD
12-05-2008 17:59 jsjs13 is offline Search for Posts by jsjs13 Add jsjs13 to your Buddy List
haveapez haveapez is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 09-02-2008

The first I ever heard about DA was a few years ago when CCM magazine did their "Top 100 CCM albums" or whatever, in what may have been their 20th or 25th anniversary issue. I don't remember as I don't pay attention to much CCM now.

I saw a short blurb for Doppelganger. I hadn't heard of them, but the review was talking about how it was great music that no one really heard, and then I thought the cover art was way cool as well.

Years later I buy the occasional Larry Norman's site and I saw the review for Horrendous Disc. I gave it a try, found this site, and have been a fan since.
12-10-2008 12:21 haveapez is offline Search for Posts by haveapez Add haveapez to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for haveapez
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by Ritchie_az

Welcome to the DAMB, haveapez!

12-10-2008 14:06 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you "discover" DA?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH