Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bottom Five MBD songs » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bottom Five MBD songs 5 Votes - Average Rating: 3.405 Votes - Average Rating: 3.405 Votes - Average Rating: 3.40
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

RE: Fly-by Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
But on disc 1 I find myself always skipping the first two tracks... I just feel like 'Your Long Year' is the real start.

I thought I was the only one!

09-24-2008 14:36 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Question RE: Fly-by Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:
But on disc 1 I find myself always skipping the first two tracks... I just feel like 'Your Long Year' is the real start.

author of the story is the best song on the album... Confused

Cool
09-24-2008 14:49 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

RE: Fly-by Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
quote:
MBD is by far my most favorite DA recording.

But on disc 1 I find myself always skipping the first two tracks, and track 19. The songs I'm sure appeal to some, and they obviously work with the theme, but they just seem weak to me. Or maybe I just wanna rock, and they seem too laid back. I just feel like 'Your Long Year' is the real start.

I usually skip that one.

quote:
The other thing that's somewhat annoying is the obvious background static noise at various places, such as end of 'over her shoulder' / start of 'staggering gods', and start of 'Joel'. I'm assuming this is not a quality control problem, so I guess I just don't get it.

I always thought it was the fireplace.

Yup. Its a concept album, everything is there for a reason. Its like questioning the clapping noises on Sgt Pepper, or skipping Billy Shears.

09-24-2008 14:54 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:

It's right up there... yes.

09-24-2008 16:05 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Down! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

MBD is great. This thread sucks! Evil

09-24-2008 16:07 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
PuP

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:

My bad. I read "skip first two tracks" and didn't pay attention to the "Your Long Year" part.

"AOTS" is indeed awesome.

09-24-2008 22:05 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by John Foxe
My mistake Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Author of the Story is what I should have said, sorry.

On the static, you might be right, but it's more than just a fireplace, though. In at least one spot it sounds like a radio in the background. I could understand if it's a little Vin Skully in Bakersfield, but I don't think so...

09-24-2008 22:13 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I must pipe in~
why in Gods name (appropriate) would we want to rate the worst (?) songs on a recording hailed by the very band in which this Mb exists?
I didn't read the premise on the start of this thread-or who originated it-

this will be my only visit on this one.

I mean- its weird.

mho

Jim

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-24-2008 23:43 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i agree with jiminy.

09-25-2008 02:49 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Hear hear!

I love MBD.
I love every thing about it.

To me all the weird noises, and whatever else, [I fits.[/I]

I cannot name 5 least favorite anything.
The album is one piece that sort of builds on itself.

Kinda like some of Wilco's records, or Blonde on Blonde, or the White Album.

If you don't "get it" I can't help you.

09-25-2008 05:56 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by John Foxe
Well, it was the flip side Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was the starter of the thread; I meant it as a flip side to the '5 best' thread. I love MBD, it is my favorite DA recording. Heck, it's in my car, I was listening to disc 1 on the way to work today.

But every recording has it's favorite and least favorite moments, wouldn't you say?

09-25-2008 08:11 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
77'sRule! 77'sRule! is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 09-13-2008

quote:
Author of the Story is what I should have said

Now most nights I'm in bed
with what I should have said

quote:
But every recording has it's favorite and least favorite moments, wouldn't you say?

I'd say yes. There are some songs on this album I trudge thru. With each listen, though, it's usually different songs, if that makes any sense. To put it a different way, some songs I'm tempted to skip, but on another listen those songs may be the ones I turn up the volume for. I guess it depends on my mood. I'd say the last three or four songs on disc one and the first two songs on disc two may be the weakest, but, then again, sometimes those are the ones I like most.

I hope I'm not to confussing. Confused
09-25-2008 10:44 77'sRule! is offline Search for Posts by 77'sRule! Add 77'sRule! to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

i lied - and came back

I wasnt trying to dis anyone - Cool

n do understand that MBD is a banquet-some like the fruitplate-
some like to carve.

Top n Bottom are better terms than Best or worst.
Im done.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-25-2008 10:57 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
PuP

quote:
Originally posted by 77'sRule!
quote:

I'd say yes. There are some songs on this album I trudge thru. With each listen, though, it's usually different songs, if that makes any sense. To put it a different way, some songs I'm tempted to skip, but on another listen those songs may be the ones I turn up the volume for. I guess it depends on my mood. I'd say the last three or four songs on disc one and the first two songs on disc two may be the weakest, but, then again, sometimes those are the ones I like most.

I hope I'm not to confussing. Confused

I agree. I can actually extend it to the entire DA catalog. Sometimes I get an itch for a DA album and sometimes I have no desire to listen to that same album for months.

The great thing about DA is that, whatever my mood, there is a DA song for it (or SE, or LD, or TST)!

09-25-2008 12:19 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

"One man's ceiling is another man's floor..." as some songwriter once said.

www.smashthatcomputer.com
09-26-2008 04:29 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
i usually listen to my one disc cd-r version of mbd....... Shocked
yes, it cuts some songs out.... i don't remember which ones...
and cuts out the annoying 15 minutes of silence between and so it goes and the yippy kayay ************ song..........
so sue me... Tongue

Cool
11-16-2009 17:31 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
quote:
i usually listen to my one disc cd-r version of mbd....... Shocked
yes, it cuts some songs out.... i don't remember which ones...
and cuts out the annoying 15 minutes of silence between and so it goes and the yippy kayay ************ song..........
so sue me... Tongue

I listen to a 120 minute cassette with the 15 minutes of silence and I keep the yippy kayay.
Also have the nowhere is someplace and weird covers of DA songs by misc bands.

11-16-2009 19:44 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Originally posted by George
I pretty much love 'em all--BUT

1. Faithful Street--seems like Da's done this before and they are past it.

I havent seen it before, maybe you can refresh my memory!!! It definitely sounds a little beatlesque style in some parts but it is a great song!!!!

ON the other hand this thread shouldnt even be permitted lol!!! It is an offense to DA. This is their best album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
11-17-2009 07:00 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Ah, but Darn Floor - Big Bite is their best album. Wink Tongue Pleased

11-17-2009 07:42 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
Ah, but Darn Floor - Big Bite is their best album. Wink Tongue Pleased

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
11-17-2009 08:31 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bottom Five MBD songs

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH