Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DigiAlbum? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DigiAlbum?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
clipon clipon is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 10-05-2007

DigiAlbum? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Any chance we can convince terry and friend (or child...sibling...spouse...drinking buddy...) to plug in a 4 track and record some demos, songs, sketches and put them out as free download digital eps on myspace or something?
06-12-2008 22:19 clipon is offline Homepage of clipon Search for Posts by clipon Add clipon to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Free?

06-14-2008 00:00 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
clipon clipon is a male
Luteous Llama

Thread Starter Thread Started by clipon
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well...you know the whole viral thing...something to pass around the internet and build awareness of the greatness that is...i love MySpace...i troll through it looking for great music i can download for free...im a poor seminary student...i need all the discounts i can get.
06-14-2008 02:09 clipon is offline Homepage of clipon Search for Posts by clipon Add clipon to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

"the whole viral thing" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Even something like what Glass Harp has on their website.
It's great advertising.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 06-14-2008 04:32.

06-14-2008 04:31 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

The problem is it costs a lot to record, and Terry needs to pay rent and eat.

06-14-2008 11:25 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

that's probably why a 4 track... demos.... were mentioned. they are not expensive.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

06-14-2008 13:20 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

One of the issues we face regularly though is that we need inexpensive things to sell to create cash for the expensive. Thats why things like Swirling Mellow get released again. It doesn't cost a lot to put out, but we need things like that selling in order to do anything else. So.. if Terry comes across some weird, cool demos laying around that he would want to put out.. it'd be better to sell them and make money to make a new record than it would be to just give them all away. One or two? maybe... all of them? No way.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
06-14-2008 14:06 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
clipon clipon is a male
Luteous Llama

My bad! I forgot about rent and bills. Im so used to my 'coffee shop star' friends who make music in their basements on old four tracks or computers and just stick it on the net and wait to see how far the songs get!

If Terry could do some scetches, demos etc for a MySpace album id dig it. Let it get viral, build a new fan base. DA should be marketed to the Christian music scene as the 'greatful dead' of Christian music (but sober, no endless bootlegs and no endless touring).

Jason
06-14-2008 16:50 clipon is offline Homepage of clipon Search for Posts by clipon Add clipon to your Buddy List
Administrator

For the last couple of years, we've been trying to get Terry to do a series of inexpensive "basement tapes" style semi-bootleg releases... not regular albums, but something just recorded roughly, in his house on an 8-track digital recorder. Some tracks could be familiar songs with a new twist... others could be new songs in their roughest form... others could be covers or traditional/public domain songs. The idea would be that he could do these in between regular albums to help build the production budget for those larger releases.

He liked the idea and has talked about doing it, but I'd imagine finding the time is difficult. Theres probably also the issue of where he likes the songs enough that he doesn't want to put them out in that style but would rather save them for a regular album. But... I think, with just the right material, those kinds of releases could be very fun. We also had some ideas where the fans could be involved in some way.. more on that later. Happy

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
06-14-2008 17:08 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
clipon clipon is a male
Luteous Llama

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want those! That would rock!!!!

Fans invovled? Like...a poetry contest for lyrics?

Jason
06-14-2008 17:12 clipon is offline Homepage of clipon Search for Posts by clipon Add clipon to your Buddy List
clipon clipon is a male
Luteous Llama

Allot of artists will put songs on myspace whatever and allow one song to be downloaded. Its like a single for the blog-o-sphere. Its a blingle.

Jason
06-15-2008 00:50 clipon is offline Homepage of clipon Search for Posts by clipon Add clipon to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
For the last couple of years, we've been trying to get Terry to do a series of inexpensive "basement tapes" style semi-bootleg releases... not regular albums, but something just recorded roughly, in his house on an 8-track digital recorder. Some tracks could be familiar songs with a new twist... others could be new songs in their roughest form... others could be covers or traditional/public domain songs. The idea would be that he could do these in between regular albums to help build the production budget for those larger releases.

He liked the idea and has talked about doing it, but I'd imagine finding the time is difficult. Theres probably also the issue of where he likes the songs enough that he doesn't want to put them out in that style but would rather save them for a regular album. But... I think, with just the right material, those kinds of releases could be very fun. We also had some ideas where the fans could be involved in some way.. more on that later. Happy

You've got to stop saying things like this... it starts us talking of release dates and whatnot!!!

Btw... as a curious fan, is Terry writing songs all the time, or does he just heat up the sausage factory and start cranking when needed. I guess in my head, if he is as prolific as other say, perhaps he's got a case of songs somewhere. THat, to me, would be just cool... maybe even a potential pretentious poetry coffee table book release...with fan drawings... okay now its getting silly.

06-15-2008 14:55 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Administrator

No release dates or anything definite... its all just an idea at this point. If folks are really into this idea, maybe it would be good to pass that info on to Terry. We'll certainly pass the comments on to him as well, if he doesn't stop by.

It seems like ideas are always flowing for Terry, but I think he generally only starts writing (on paper or on tape) when a project is starting to come together in the studio (or maybe, a little before that).

I remember when Swirling Midget was just a rough idea being thrown around (probably 2004 or 2005ish), he had told us about a bunch of ideas that he had for it - very few of which actually made it to the album... but he was already thinking about it back then. He also started working on some song ideas and sketches very early on.. but he said he didn't actually put anything on paper until much later. It seems like he just collects a bunch of ideas in his head and then, once a project is officially started, he mixes them all up and cranks out an album.

You're tapping into something with the coffee table book idea... it has come up quite a few times as well actually - complete with the illustrations. Happy Books are expensive though.. very hard to do on a limited budget. In a way, these ideas for projects are very similar to Terry's song ideas... they just constantly flow and eventually, one or two will rise to the surface and start to take shape and hopefully the funding will fall into place at the right time.

06-15-2008 15:23 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

And speaking of books... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

...what about that fabled book of autobiographical essays Terry was working on at one point - the one that "Zorro" story was intended for? Cool
06-15-2008 16:39 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Administrator

Thats always been there.. "in the works" as they say. The main holdup has always been trying to find a publisher. At one point, it looked as though CCM books would publish it, but I'm not sure what happened with that deal. They may not even publish books any longer.

06-15-2008 19:22 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

I would love to read more of that.

Maybe that would work as an independently published type deal.

06-15-2008 21:20 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
clipon clipon is a male
Luteous Llama

I woke up my fiancee to 'when we all wore hats' today. See, this is why we need more of Terrys music in the world. She has a paper to write for her philosophy class (she is a philosophy minor) and a church council meeting tonight...so, see, if we had more of Terrys music floating around out their more people could wake their fiancees.
06-16-2008 16:30 clipon is offline Homepage of clipon Search for Posts by clipon Add clipon to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

The problem is that fiancees turn into spouses, so its kind of a limited market...

06-17-2008 07:09 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

well - just to say..
written works dont need to be "published" so much anymore- with our electronic world..all one needs is a nice pdf file (to buy even)- or a password to download.even if its only a chapter or taste of whats "in the works"

So if its been written in any form- it can go public..like a blog.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
06-17-2008 09:57 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DigiAlbum?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH