Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » best Lost Dogs album??? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page best Lost Dogs album??? 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I thought this was re-issued just a few years ago? Confused

03-15-2008 17:13 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Each Dogs CD has something on it that is utterly indispensable... To list them would take up an awful lot of time. However, as a standard of completeness, Green Room Serenade does the best job in polishing every facet of the band from gut-bucket blues to rock 'n roll to the most sublime ballads.

"Waiting For You To Come Around" is such an epic song in that even though it is a subtle ballad, it sweeps you up entirely by the end. It's the longest Dogs tune and yet it takes you through with a lot of grace and you never are aware of length.

As much as I loved the Mercy River version, "Reasonable Service" is sing-along goodness. And if the topic is cover songs, I do believe that on many days I have to wonder who did the best Leonard Cohen redo - Jeff Buckley or The Dogs. Not that I plan to check out soon, but I want their version of "If It Be Your Will" played when they hoist my eternal Glad Bag over the cliffside.

Little Red Riding Hood may be a close second - However to deny "Eleanor, It's Raining Now"? But then again, what about "Smokescreen", "Rebecca Go Home" or "Only One Bum In Corona Del Mar"? Still, for that overall sense of strength from start to finish, it's gotta be GRS.
03-15-2008 23:09 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
I thought this was re-issued just a few years ago? Confused

It was. We picked up a new re-issue CD to replace a cassette then.

50 bucks?!

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-16-2008 03:36 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
50 bucks?!

Well, the last couple ebay auctions closed at $30, but fixed-price outlets show them going at $50+.
03-16-2008 06:00 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Each Dogs CD has something on it that is utterly indispensable... To list them would take up an awful lot of time. However, as a standard of completeness, Green Room Serenade does the best job in polishing every facet of the band from gut-bucket blues to rock 'n roll to the most sublime ballads.

"Waiting For You To Come Around" is such an epic song in that even though it is a subtle ballad, it sweeps you up entirely by the end. It's the longest Dogs tune and yet it takes you through with a lot of grace and you never are aware of length.

As much as I loved the Mercy River version, "Reasonable Service" is sing-along goodness. And if the topic is cover songs, I do believe that on many days I have to wonder who did the best Leonard Cohen redo - Jeff Buckley or The Dogs. Not that I plan to check out soon, but I want their version of "If It Be Your Will" played when they hoist my eternal Glad Bag over the cliffside.

Little Red Riding Hood may be a close second - However to deny "Eleanor, It's Raining Now"? But then again, what about "Smokescreen", "Rebecca Go Home" or "Only One Bum In Corona Del Mar"? Still, for that overall sense of strength from start to finish, it's gotta be GRS.

I would agree, but there are a couple tunes on GRS I have to skip.
LRRH on the other hand, or even SR. Pleased
That said, the high points on GRS are very high indeed. Cool

I love the politics on the first couple Dogs CDs and really miss that part on their later stuff.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-16-2008 15:06.

03-16-2008 15:04 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
50 bucks?!

Well, the last couple ebay auctions closed at $30, but fixed-price outlets show them going at $50+.

once again, i shoulda bought more than 1 Red Face Crying Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

03-16-2008 15:23 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Why?
Did yours break? Evil

03-16-2008 15:26 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

no (ours still works), then i could be selling extras and raising funds to buy things that haven't been reprinted Red Face Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

03-16-2008 15:28 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

That's what I thought! Evil

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-16-2008 15:32.

03-16-2008 15:32 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Not that I really care one way or the other.

I thought the same thing many a time! Tongue

03-16-2008 15:35 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

03-16-2008 15:42 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:

I am listening to LRRH and GRS back to back and I may have to eat my words.

GRS is very good.

"Green Room Serenade does the best job in polishing every facet of the band from gut-bucket blues to rock 'n roll to the most sublime ballads."

There are both so good. Don't make me choose! Crying

03-16-2008 15:43 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by colorblind

Those first three records are a wonderful trilogy.
I kind of always think of them together in a way...

03-16-2008 22:24 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Truth be told, I think of them that way too.
I really have a hard time choosing a favorite from the "trilogy."
It was a very special time for the Dogs.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-17-2008 03:52.

03-17-2008 03:47 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

quote:
quote:
quote:

I am listening to LRRH and GRS back to back and I may have to eat my words.

GRS is very good.

"Green Room Serenade does the best job in polishing every facet of the band from gut-bucket blues to rock 'n roll to the most sublime ballads."

There are both so good. Don't make me choose! Crying

So don't. It really is hard to choose which is the best. I would put LRRH at a very close 4th behind RMC, but only because RMC was the album I cut my teeth on. All of their music is so good it's hard to rank them. And some days, I would put LRRH before RMC or even GRS.

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
03-17-2008 14:26 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by bereal
I would put LRRH at a very close 4th behind RMC,

Blasphemer! Shocked

quote:
but only because RMC was the album I cut my teeth on.

Fair enough. Carry on. Pleased

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-17-2008 14:57.

03-17-2008 14:57 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by bereal
So don't. It really is hard to choose which is the best.

Yeah, I agree.
I agree with colorblind, I think of the first three more as a "trilogy" and you really can't seperate them.
Kind of like the Dog's version of "The iAlarma! Chronicles."

Kind of...

03-17-2008 15:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

yea, i concur Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

kinda sorta........in a dogs kinda way

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
03-17-2008 15:15 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by colorblind

I bought Scenic Routes on e-bay last week to replace that a friend decided to keep...
The price was $30...a little steep.
But now the person says that they don't ship to canada...but they'll make this exception...if I pay $15 for the shipping!!!
I'm trying to get him to come down on his shipping price right now.
That would be a total of $45 for Scenic Routes...
That's a lot of money for a scenic route!

03-18-2008 16:51 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

It's not that expensive to ship to Canada! Roll Eyes

I just got done mailing something to Canada today and it was about the same as a expensive mailing! Red Face

What a shady schister! Mad

03-18-2008 17:10 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » best Lost Dogs album???

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH