Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New DA? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (11): « first ... « previous 8 9 [10] 11 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New DA? 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Berger is not in DA. Get your aliases straight, Tim!!!!

1 r3@77y h0P3 tH!$ iz tH3 7@$1 t!m3 1 h@^3 2 s@y !Hiz___ tH@! h@(k ((hhGG@n73rgggk @nb 1 r nT tH3 $@m3 p3R$0n!!!!!

03-03-2008 11:26 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-509.jpg

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sources say you all are the same! The Jig is up! You've been Wikiouted!

03-03-2008 12:11 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Well that's just typical. There goes that dirtbag Chandler taking credit for my work again. The only reason he's "credited" as Berger Roy Al is because he selfishly insists on playing whenever there's a live Swirling Eddies gig. THAT'S THE ONLGGGKXXCYY RggEASONgggkxk!!!!

03-04-2008 11:17 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

(sigh) the actual reason, friends, is that the Eddies asked me to play whenever they play live. berger, (especially at this point) is waaaay too insane to be able to play live in front of an audience. the last time he did, he kept trying to eat his own guitar cable and would NOT stop yelling "mommy!" at the top of his lungs.

keep in mind that Crispin Glover (Crispin Glover of all people!) once said of berger: "He's possibly the most unstable person I've ever met in my life."
03-04-2008 11:19 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

That is notgggxxkck true!! I--...hey what happened to my you thspeak? I've lost my you thspggkeaggk!!!!!

03-04-2008 11:21 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

get berger a wireless outfit and play REALLY loud? Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-04-2008 11:42 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Just a little update on the main topic...

Terry likes the idea.

We do of course have a couple of other things on the burner at the moment, but we'll go ahead and start trying to compile some potential oddities for use on the special release. Everything will have to be approved by Terry of course, but... at least its something we can pursue and hopefully create a new record out of the whole deal.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-05-2008 00:56 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dfroystad dfroystad is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-11-2002

Too much spam to understad anything......

What is the idea that Terry likes ?
03-05-2008 04:30 dfroystad is offline Send an Email to dfroystad Search for Posts by dfroystad Add dfroystad to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Just as long as it doesn't become Solid Rock like in the end... more bootlegs and outtakes then originals...

03-05-2008 06:55 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Just a little update on the main topic...

Terry likes the idea.

We do of course have a couple of other things on the burner at the moment, but we'll go ahead and start trying to compile some potential oddities for use on the special release. Everything will have to be approved by Terry of course, but... at least its something we can pursue and hopefully create a new record out of the whole deal.

Did you see this article?

At this point, I wouldn't discount doing a similar thing; basically taking donations with possibly some similar frills. And no promises of a date or goal when the project would be finished.

Of course we may not need to pay $500 to get our name mentioned in a song. Maybe if we just whine and complain a lot we'll get a nod. Tongue

BTW I can't say I've ever heard this artist although i vaguely recognize her name. Big Grin

==============

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/03...d.ap/index.html

Musician turns to fans for help with new disc

* Story Highlights
* Jill Sobule asks fans to contribute towards making new album
* For $10, you get a CD; for $10,000, you can sing on the record
* Sobule best known for mid-'90s hit "I Kissed a Girl"

NEW YORK (AP) -- In making six CDs, singer Jill Sobule has worked for two major record companies that dumped her and two indie labels that went bankrupt beneath her.
Sobule

For $5,000, Jill Sobule will not only give you a CD -- she'll play your home.

Now she's turning to people she can really trust -- her fans.

Sobule, whose witty and poignant writing first attracted attention with the song "I Kissed a Girl," has set up a Web site asking fans to donate money so she can make a new CD. She set a goal of $75,000 and, in a month, she's made about $58,000 as of midday Tuesday.

She's another example of a musician taking control of her career as the business crumbles around her, and doing it with a unique sense of humor.

Contributors can choose a level of pledges ranging from the $10 "unpolished rock," which earns them a free digital download of her disc when it's made, to the $10,000 "weapons-grade plutonium level," where she promises "you get to come and sing on my CD. Don't worry if you can't sing -- we can fix that on our end."

For the $500 "gold level," Sobule will mention your name in a song, maybe even rhyme with it. The $750 "gold doubloons level" is "exactly like the gold level, but you give me more money."

Sobule is surprised at how empowering the whole experience has been.
Don't Miss

* Jill Sobule: Jillsnewrecord.com

"The old kind of paradigm, where you've always waited for other people to do things, you'd have your manager and your agent," she said. "You'd wait for the big record company to give you money to do things and they tell you what to do. This is so great. I want to do everything like this."

She set the $75,000 goal because she wanted to do things right. Well-known producer Don Was has agreed to work with her, and she expects friends like Cyndi Lauper and John Doe to sing with her. She also needs to pay for making and distributing the CDs, and promotion to publicize it.

Sobule even wrote to explain all this to some snarky Web sites that pointed out that someone can easily record music for $500 in their basement these days.

"I wrote, 'Don't you understand, it's not just the recording budget, it's also my gambling debts,' " she joked, "and they became my best friends."

For a $5,000 contribution, Sobule said she'll perform a concert in the donor's house. The lower levels are more popular, where donors can earn things like an advanced copy of the CD, a mention in the liner notes and a T-shirt identifying them as a "junior executive producer" of the CD.

Besides the studio album (recording starts next month), Sobule also wants to record a live CD and a collection of new tracks with just her voice and guitar, asking amateurs to take a stab at making their own arrangements around her.

One positive, unexpected result from her campaign is getting to know her fans a little, beyond just the faces that stare at her onstage. Many have written messages that are posted on Sobule's Web site and offer suggestions.

Sobule always let the business people do their thing while she concentrated on being the artist.

"I lived like that forever and this time, this is fun," she said. "This is creative."

Got a few miles left ...

03-05-2008 09:58 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Fundable looks intriguing. Basically, DA could set up a funding request saying, "We need $50,000 (or whatever amount) within six months (or however long) to do a new record." If enough people pledge enough money within the time frame, everyone gets charged what they pledged and the album gets made. If the goal isn't reached, the whole thing is deleted and no one is out any money.

03-05-2008 11:12 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

What we are probably going to do is create some download only releases with artwork (no expense) to generate funds for a new DA (or something) record. The problem with setting a time limit on the whole thing is that its entirely at the mercy of how long it takes the money to become available. If we do it this way, people immediately get a release for their money. (We would have the downloads set up and ready before any money is taken.) There would be no manufacturing cost for those so everything generated could go towards a new DA album (or whatever Terry has in mind).

We can sell several thousand of any certain title but it takes quite a while. Buechners for example was printed several times that we know of and we were not the only people selling it. Imaginarium was printed several times, and sold to almost entirely different people.

Funds can be generated but they are slow. Getting something immediately for the buck might help quite a bit, the few die hards will buy anything, but getting the larger more general audience to buy takes a little more work. There is a good amount of people that will buy something like this just to be supportive because they feel Terry's music has meant a lot to them over the years and they want to help.

03-05-2008 12:03 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Any restrictions for those buying the download and manufacturing it themselves to sell on ebay or whatever?

Got a few miles left ...

03-05-2008 12:37 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Probably just a lawsuit that would fund the entire project.

03-05-2008 13:40 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J

Tongue Tongue Tongue
03-05-2008 14:46 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J

i think you misunderstood?

is it wrong to assume if you preordered a download for say $15 that you could download the material and artwork and burn a CD and print the artwork and sell the resulting item yourself on ebay for whatever $ you could get?

and if you did it again it would be OK as long as you had paid for each download that you turned around and manufactured and sold?

note i don't want to do this, but it would be naive to assume that it won't happen ...

Got a few miles left ...

03-05-2008 15:32 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Legally, the right to download is different than the right to distribute something. While you would have the right to make a disc for yourself of something you downloaded, you don't automatically have the legal right to sell that disc. For it to be legal, DA would have to give preorderers specific permission to do something like that.

I'm not really sure why DA would do that since it would be other folks making lots of cash on their music. People try it anyway, but this would actually be encouraging it. Its especially counterproductive if DA's goal is to fund a new album with the downloads.. the band wouldn't want to compete for sales with their own fans (which they already do occasionally).

Anytime you do a download, there are those that automatically assume its suddenly public domain. Its unfortunate, but a reality. We even saw it a little bit with the Eddies preorder tracks. Hopefully, the majority of the fans would support the idea enough to show restraint.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-05-2008 23:19 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Any updates?

What would it take to set something up on the DA website where people could donate money for the project? Someone like me could donate some small amount of cash, but I'm sure there are some who might donate larger amounts. And, perhaps, if someone donates, say, $1,000, their name gets mentioned in the "special thanks to" section in the album credits (how cool would that be?!). Just a thought.

As far as the download-only-to-raise-money-release, you know, any live songs lying around would be great. Something I think would be really cool, but would require more work than anyone probably has time for, would be to make some crazy re-mixes of DA songs. Take the drums for one song, mix it with guitars from another, and throw in some vocals from another. Take Autographs for the Sick and play it backwards, but have the spoken words normal. Take off-the-wall pieces and mix them all together in some crazy way--it could be like a picture where the photographer didn't advance the film but kept taking photographs.
I think it's the wierd kind of stuff I'd like, anyway. Cool

08-15-2008 05:17 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Something like a DA version of this?:

Maybe that "Pretend I'm Elvis" stuff would make a good hold-over until the real DA record comes to town.
I hope their is some unusual cover songs or funny bits that make it special.

Huh????
Am I onto something here???

08-15-2008 05:55 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Kind of like Love, but I'm thinking even more off-the-wall and random. It would take someone with some creativeness and time to pull it off.

08-15-2008 06:10 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Pages (11): « first ... « previous 8 9 [10] 11 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New DA?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH