Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Darn Floor Big Curiosity » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Darn Floor Big Curiosity
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Darn Floor Big Curiosity Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Just wondering -

How many on this board have actually never heard / owned "Darn Floor Big Bite"?

Since most of the other recordings have managed to eke out in one form or another, this one has become one of those 'holy grail' types of releases... So satisfy my curiosity, if you would.

DwD
12-18-2006 11:00 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

its the only original DA "prize" that I own

in that I mean- I bought it in 1987 when it first came out ....and still have it.

Most of my other DA "rare" things are reissue , along with a few "converted" from tape CDRs (for the most part..)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
12-18-2006 13:45 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Dfbb Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Don't have it. Never heard it.

Except for the title track, which is on the DA best of compilation.

12-18-2006 13:53 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Have on cassette only. Have seen it reported that CD version isn't very good because was mixed too low.

A prime candidate for reissue, if all the legal and fees can get resolved. Frown

My favorite DFBB song is "Divine Instant".

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
12-18-2006 14:21 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

Like our titanium springy conscience bearer, I, too, bought it originally in '87. Still have it. Still in excellent condition. Pleased

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
12-18-2006 14:31 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

To me the CD reflects good CCM quality for its day.

I recall a few CCM CDs I got in the 80s that never even played without jumping .- even after being returned for a second try.

Tim Miner comes to mind.....

12-18-2006 14:33 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Official Impasto

Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

For you kids with your boomboxes and pacemakers who don't know Magilla . . .

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
12-18-2006 14:35 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
Official Impasto

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
To me the CD reflects good CCM quality for its day.

I recall a few CCM CDs I got in the 80s that never even played without jumping .- even after being returned for a second try.

Tim Miner comes to mind.....

Yep, I had a heckuva time with a certain Julie Miller CD. Returned it I don't know how many times.

12-18-2006 14:37 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by Scrimshaw Nick
For you kids with your boomboxes and pacemakers who don't know Magilla . . .

Of course I know Magilla Gorilla...

and dont forget!- blessed are the pacemakers..

12-18-2006 15:17 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

dw -

you never said..
do you own it? - or have you heard it???
or both? - or neither?

12-18-2006 15:18 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

I have the cassette - and it says on it something about printed/licensed in New Zealand.

12-18-2006 17:18 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Premier club Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm also one of the privileged few who have the original DFBB CD. It's going on 19 years now, and the condition is still good.

I couldn't find it in any Christian bookstores (surprise, surprise), nor was the Internet popular yet, so I was forced to order it by phone directly from Frontline.

This will sound like DA heresy: it's one of my least favorite recordings, and to this day I'm not fully warmed to it. When I first spun it, it was in stark contrast to anything else I'd heard. At that time I'd bought every TST recording in chronological order, and although each recording was very different, they all had their own individual appeal. DFBB was radically different, choppy, and dissonant. It's not hard for me to see why it didn't sell too many copies (sorry if I hurt any feelings).

On the positive side, I eventually took to a few tunes - Strange Animals, Earth Household, and especially Safety Net, I really LOVE that one. Plus, it's one recording that sonically does not show it's age too much. What genre do you place it? I think it really has its own.

12-18-2006 17:52 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

I have a cassette, converted to CDR...I've been listening to it again this week, and it definitely is a rival to MBD and Motorcycle for my favorite DA album...definitely in a genre all its own. I honestly can't think of anything to compare it to. I can hear the 80s in it, but it is unlike any other "sound" I've ever heard...or probably ever will. Cool
12-18-2006 21:07 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

RE: Premier club Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
I'm also one of the privileged few who have the original DFBB CD. It's going on 19 years now, and the condition is still good.

I couldn't find it in any Christian bookstores (surprise, surprise), nor was the Internet popular yet, so I was forced to order it by phone directly from Frontline.

This will sound like DA heresy: it's one of my least favorite recordings, and to this day I'm not fully warmed to it. When I first spun it, it was in stark contrast to anything else I'd heard. At that time I'd bought every TST recording in chronological order, and although each recording was very different, they all had their own individual appeal. DFBB was radically different, choppy, and dissonant. It's not hard for me to see why it didn't sell too many copies (sorry if I hurt any feelings).

On the positive side, I eventually took to a few tunes - Strange Animals, Earth Household, and especially Safety Net, I really LOVE that one. Plus, it's one recording that sonically does not show it's age too much. What genre do you place it? I think it really has its own.

I guess if I had to put it in one genre, it would be something like "Rock Alternative". Smile

Just curious, what do you think of their more new wave stuff - Doppelganger, Vox Humana and Fearful Symmetry? Would you rate it higher or lower than either earlier or later stuff? How does it compare to you? Confused

It seems we all have our personal preferences and DA favorites usually have as much to do with our background and personal tastes than how excellent the recording was. Smile

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
12-18-2006 21:11 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

I'm not from Dallas Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, I've always respected originality of music and lyrics, which is what attracted me to DA in the first place.

I loathe top 40, bubble gum, and mindless stuff. I also don't care for dissonant sounds, from modern classical to that awful wretching Living Sacrifice stuff I hear at Cornerstone. (Can I get an amen from anyone here on that one?)

Every DA recording is fresh and original. HD's appeal to me was straight-up R&R. Alarma's was the edgy new-wave with a powerful message. Doppelganger took longer, but I took to the dark, different, and original music and lyrics. With Vox Humana I loved Rob Watson's touches and the intensity of the lyrics, and especially loved the closing track. With Fearful Symmetry I would agree with Terry that it was a little too "artsy-fartsy".

DFBB was certainly original in every aspect. It's in a class by itself, and stands the test of time. The concept was very cool, although lyrically a bit obtuse at times.

But listen to some of the songs that seem awkward to me in their beat and/or time signature, like Beat Menace, the title track, or even my all-time favorite, Safety Net. I read a comment on the board a while back from Tim Chandler that even he thought the timing in that song was weird (not an exact quote).

As to the dissonance, you probably know what I mean. Listen alongside a sonic masterpiece like Motorcycle, and you'll see where I'm coming from. I'm not saying Motorcycle was better, but it was definitely more pleasing to the ear.

12-19-2006 11:48 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Woolly Eggwhisk

Intellection? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have no idea where that word came from, I meant concept.
Confused

"The intellection was very cool, although lyrically a bit obtuse at times."

12-19-2006 11:51 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Woolly Eggwhisk

What the? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Every time I say c-o-n-c-e-p-t it replaces it with intellection!

12-19-2006 11:52 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
Have on cassette only. Have seen it reported that CD version isn't very good because was mixed too low.

A prime candidate for reissue, if all the legal and fees can get resolved. Frown

My favorite DFBB song is "Divine Instant".

I have it on CD. Yes it's mixed low but worth getting.

The LP version sounds the best to me and is pretty easy to get on ebay.

I have one CD, one LP and two version on tape.
I also have a few copies on cd-r.

12-19-2006 11:57 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

damb word editor!

I vividly recall first hearings of DFFB-

at the time I was not listening to any secular music- only "CCM" (pardon the label)...
but I loved it-and will openly say I saw it more as an art piece than a "catchy recording"- and therefore did not get the personal airplay of some of the other giants from that era at the time (CCM )
things like

Russ Taffs Self Titled-
the Turning
Sundays Child- Phil K
etc etc.
there was a lot of uncharted waters in CCM

I will say it was the Eddies phenomenon that impressed me more at the time- (in 8Cool I loved the turn from the turn they did on DFFB-.

I found a real fun site for those who dig DFFB-
are you ready?????
(hang on to your collective hats here.....sheesh!)

http://www.av1611.org/cqguide.html

12-19-2006 12:23 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

I've never owned it or heard it, but I'd be willing to pay $20 for it to be rereleased. I'm learning to be patient and to annoy others at the same time.

12-19-2006 14:38 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Darn Floor Big Curiosity

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH