Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Daniel Amos Discography » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Daniel Amos Discography
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
TattooBob TattooBob is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
tim is scarier.

and nails....well, he even scares ME.

Ahhhh shucks larryl.........! Tongue

BOBD

11-28-2006 09:11 TattooBob is offline Send an Email to TattooBob Search for Posts by TattooBob Add TattooBob to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by MarkyMark77
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Terry's letter is exactly what people need to understand.

quote:
We're trying to be very careful with this reissue series. We don't want to rush out an Alarma reprint and then decide that we need to do it differently when we get around to doing Fearful Symmetry. We'd like to do the definitive release of each album.. nothing that the band will have regrets about a year later or feel the need to reissue again at some point. Whatever we do for those two discs will have to be done for Vox and Fearful as well.. since they're a set.

I totally understand this, but I think there is room for everything. The projects that you continually do are of high quality and value. But for a more casual fan, they may just want a single disc "Alarma!" because they had the tape 15 years ago or something. It would be great if you could do downloads, keep in print what you own in a single disc fashion (even a CD-R thing, like some artists do), and also have special sets. That way there would be no wait for those who just want a CD legally, and more funding for the special stuff from downloads and CD-R's.

Just thinking out loud.

11-28-2006 10:03 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

knott has done the cd-r thing. he does his with custom art-work, and i think the price is a bit high, but the idea is good.........

i wish he'd do downloads of that stuff, too.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

11-28-2006 10:19 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

For the love of God, don't wait and reissue the Alarma Chronicles book by itself without the CDs. Smile

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
11-28-2006 11:35 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Lamp Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
For the love of God, don't wait and reissue the Alarma Chronicles book by itself without the CDs. Smile

my !alarma! chronicles bookset has cd-r's in it....
the real disks are safely put away..... Big Grin

Cool
11-28-2006 11:41 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

THe downside of that is that DA would become one of those artists that releases a dozen versions of every album. We'd release a single bare-bones version of Alarma, most fans would feel the need to buy it... then we'd release the expanded one later and many fans would complain that they already bought the bare-bones one. It happens all the time with DVDs where a basic set is released, then the "special edition" comes out right before Christmas. Folks often feel like they're being gouged.

We'd much rather have one really nice version out there thats as inexpensive for everyone. I'm not saying theres no middle ground, but we have to be careful how its done.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-28-2006 14:53 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

if it was being made public how they would be released, then people could decide which version they would rather buy.

and yes...some completists would still buy them all. and they will pay $100 on e-bay for out of print titles, and vinyl......but those people will always be around.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

11-28-2006 14:58 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
if it was being made public how they would be released, then people could decide which version they would rather buy.

and yes...some completists would still buy them all. and they will pay $100 on e-bay for out of print titles, and vinyl......but those people will always be around.

I think I paid about $12 or $13 total (incl shipping) for both HD and FS on vinyl.

Got a few miles left ...

11-28-2006 15:59 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

True, if someone shells out $100 for a CD on ebay, they are not
going pay another $20 to get it again.

Whatever. I have all the DA stuff on the official CDs at this point anyway.

11-28-2006 16:04 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

a true completist will. i know. i used to be one.

11-28-2006 16:09 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:

That is partly why I never paid $100 or more for Alarma Chronicles bookset on ebay. I wanted to be able to support Terry if/when it got re-released or individual CDs got re-released with some special stuff.

I am not an extreme completist and would not buy the same basic stuff twice, especially the Alarma Chronicles stuff where I basically only like most of the music on the Alarma album and not the other 3.

Got a few miles left ...

11-28-2006 16:22 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yeah its why we would love to have it all available, its just a lot of work to even work out the details to get permission to do it. Not to mention the financial apsects.

11-28-2006 17:04 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:

I am not an extreme completist and would not buy the same basic stuff twice, especially the Alarma Chronicles stuff where I basically only like most of the music on the Alarma album and not the other 3.

See this is where the average fan seems to be with a lot of this stuff. If we release 6 versions, they'll only buy one. Which is perfectly understandable to us. We don't want to churn out a half a dozen versions of every album and expect people to buy all of them... we'd rather work hard to put out one definitive version and let folks buy that one.

The Alarma Chronicles set kind of puts us in a weird spot for this reason. It's nice as a complete package. But, it has no bonus material at all. So, we're trying to figure out whether we should try to rerelease it and do a separate bonus material set (which might be the more expensive route).. or to do separate releases and then reissue the book by itself. The second option leaves people that already bought the set in a bad spot because they then have to buy each album again for the bonus material (if they want it.) Theres a possibility that we could do something different for the folks that already have the book set of course. But, thats why we're trying to be careful.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-28-2006 17:05 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
quote:

See this is where the average fan seems to be with a lot of this stuff. If we release 6 versions, they'll only buy one. Which is perfectly understandable to us. We don't want to churn out a half a dozen versions of every album and expect people to buy all of them... we'd rather work hard to put out one definitive version and let folks buy that one.

The Alarma Chronicles set kind of puts us in a weird spot for this reason. It's nice as a complete package. But, it has no bonus material at all. So, we're trying to figure out whether we should try to rerelease it and do a separate bonus material set (which might be the more expensive route).. or to do separate releases and then reissue the book by itself. The second option leaves people that already bought the set in a bad spot because they then have to buy each album again for the bonus material (if they want it.) Theres a possibility that we could do something different for the folks that already have the book set of course. But, thats why we're trying to be careful.

Well, I would certainly buy 2 versions of most things- the original releases I already own and an extra definitive bonus version.

From a product standpoint, I would prefer an Alarma Chronicles bookset reissue (since it has already been done) and then whatever version of "Alarma Chronicles Extras" (omitting the original material) can be completed.

Of course that might be more complicated from a practical standpoint. Confused

I guess we take whatever we get and are thankful we get anything at all. Happy

Got a few miles left ...

11-28-2006 17:32 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Administrator

Maybe we could think about doing each album separately with bonus material and do a set of all of the bonus material by itself for the folks that don't want to buy the albums again. Of course, if we price the albums at a single disc price, they could just buy the bonus material that way and get a remastered copy of the album along with it...

Thats the other part of it... we would like to remaster everything. We'd also like it to "fit" with the other reissues.

Hmm.. not sure whats best.

Any suggestions are welcome.

11-28-2006 18:27 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dfroystad dfroystad is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-11-2002

reissue the book, then reissue the albums, single disc or dobule dosen't matter, if you are a fan and got the first edtition of the book (with the cds) it would not harm you to get the cds again.....you get bonus material, and a nice uniform row in your cd collection with the complete DA-discography Big Grin
11-29-2006 04:06 dfroystad is offline Send an Email to dfroystad Search for Posts by dfroystad Add dfroystad to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
quote:

when you already have them on LP and tape and CD, how much
of a "true completist" does one need to be? Confused

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 11-29-2006 15:56.

11-29-2006 15:55 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
quote:

DVD? Tongue Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

11-29-2006 16:08 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
TattooBob TattooBob is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2003

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well ask yourself; Is it really complete if there is a new version with other stuff on it? I say no. Red Face

Wink

BOBD

11-29-2006 16:15 TattooBob is offline Send an Email to TattooBob Search for Posts by TattooBob Add TattooBob to your Buddy List
SafetyNet
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 11-29-2006

Big Grin Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm a newbie to posting but I have been following DA, the 77's, The Lost Dogs, etc. for the last 10 years.

I finally registered for the board after reading as a ghost for the last few years.

My two cents:

All of my older DA stuff is on vinyl or worn out cassetes. I would love to see all of this stuff re-released after it has been re-mastered.

Sure you can buy a copy of Vox Humana or other OOP CD on E-bay that was mastered in the 80's or 90's, but I would much rather have a re-issue, especially if there are extras! Big Grin

While the angels brushed her hair

"but that's how it has to end
On this side of glory...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by SafetyNet: 11-29-2006 16:51.

11-29-2006 16:50 SafetyNet is offline Search for Posts by SafetyNet Add SafetyNet to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Daniel Amos Discography

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH