Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you find DA? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (13): « first ... « previous 7 8 [9] 10 11 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How did you find DA? 10 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.10
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My guess would be the latter.......Great minds? Not Bloody Likely!
03-10-2006 07:15 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
NonProphet NonProphet is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Great minds...? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I agree with the Commander. Not on this board!

I had a feeling someone else would have come up with the Beatles reference. I was just too lazy to read all 7 pages of posts...

03-10-2006 07:53 NonProphet is offline Send an Email to NonProphet Homepage of NonProphet Search for Posts by NonProphet Add NonProphet to your Buddy List
navfox navfox is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

images/avatars/avatar-448.gif

Registration Date: 06-17-2002

How did you find DA? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I told this story before, but here goes my heart again,

Summer 1980, in a VW van going to Baylor U for a youth retreat. The guitarist from the church band drove and played the first two 8 tracks by DA. After that I found HD and I looked for them in ever Christian bookstore I could find. When the Internet began to blossum, I found Kevin's DA webpage, then J&E Mark Heard web page which I beleive traded music or tapes or something.

For now I am here, seen the band once at CS 2000, Great! Awesome!
03-10-2006 12:27 navfox is offline Send an Email to navfox Homepage of navfox Search for Posts by navfox Add navfox to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for navfox
luthien1121 luthien1121 is a female
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I came to DA via the Swirling Eddies. Someone in the high school group at church let me borrow Outdoor Elvis, and I loved it! It wasn't until 4 or 5 years later that the music buyer at the Christian bookstore I worked at told me about DA and that it was the same people as the Eddies. From that moment I was a committed TT/DA fan.

03-10-2006 16:38 luthien1121 is offline Send an Email to luthien1121 Homepage of luthien1121 Search for Posts by luthien1121 Add luthien1121 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of luthien1121: luthien1013
NonProphet NonProphet is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

RE: Great minds...? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

OK, I suppose after my snarky first post I should do one for real.

My friend James came up to me in '82 raving about band called "Daniel Amos" he'd seen at the Ichthus festival. "In one of their songs, their guitar player played the part of a tidal wave," James explained, "and he kept bouncing up and down until he acually jumped off the stage!" (again this was '82 and things like that just didn't happen at Christian concerts in Kentucky).

He had also procured an 8-track tape called "Horrendous Disc," the opening guitar lick of which he had learned. I instantly demanded that he teach it to me too. We had to dub it to a cassette because, as the geezers on this board know, you can't rewind an 8-track to learn guitar licks.

That same year, on a youth choir trip, we found "Alarma" in a cutout bin of a Christian record store that obviously had no idea what to do with the newly-released record. We both bought copies (around $2.00 each, I believe) and absolutely devoured it.

Rock on, Jerry.

03-10-2006 18:14 NonProphet is offline Send an Email to NonProphet Homepage of NonProphet Search for Posts by NonProphet Add NonProphet to your Buddy List
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

Text Then after you sign uP Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

tell us how, where, when maybe even why you found Daniel Amos

03-22-2006 22:24 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
Toque Boy Toque Boy is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 12-08-2002

Swirling Eddies hooked me in Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was into the Choir and the 77s and Adam Again. I got Let's Spin and loved it and many albums (and $) later, I still love my DA.
03-31-2006 18:13 Toque Boy is offline Send an Email to Toque Boy Search for Posts by Toque Boy Add Toque Boy to your Buddy List
clonliness clonliness is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-105.jpg

Registration Date: 04-06-2006
Location: He's a real nowhere man, living in his nowhere land, making all his nowhere plans for nobody.

In 77 I was born.

My dad was born in 55, so he was right in the demographic crosshairs when Shotgun Angel was released and Horrendous Disk was recorded. When Alarma! and HD came out he went right out and bought 'em. so my diapers were changed to Shotgun Angel. He also had several albums by Bruce Cockburn and Mark Heard, respectively, an album called Mourning to Dancing by a really obscure CCM artist named James Ward, Welcome to Paradise by Randy Stonehill and a Larry Norman something-or-other. I grew up in Oregon and have fond memories of driving to Disneyland for the first time listening to SA over and over. My dad was in a cover band and he played Alarma! for their bass player who said "If we ever sound like that I'll kill myself".
Time passed and the da records grew dusty... Anyway when I turned 16 my dad started teaching me guitar. I had a turntable set up in my room because it was the format all our old Cockburn stuff was on. Anyway I had the our three da albums in there too and listened to HD over and over. It reminded me of Zeppelin and The Beatles, oddly.
Time passed, my brother, my dad and I still played Cockburn but forgot da. Anyway, in our family business's warehouse I heard my brother singing a James Ward song, ("for to me to live is Jesus Christ/and to die would be so much better"), which played at my aunt's funeral when I was about five. The power of the memory was downright evocative, so I asked my dad whose song it was. It was through that that I rediscovered all the old albums my dad and I had stored away somewhere. I started recording all the vinyl to hard drive, cleaning up the noise and bouncing the stuff to CD. I became insatiable. I started looking for da, (and Steve Taylor and Mark Heard, etc.), we'd missed on ebay and spent a small fortune getting it. I can now happily report that I bought the final four da studio albums I had yet to get, (Motorcycle [CD], Kalhoun [CD], Fearful Symmetry [SS Vinyl] and Daniel Amos/Jubal's Last Band [pre-release]). I even bought songs from the Neverhood for my kids and me Smile . I have not heard the Swirling Eddies, Lost Dogs, Terry Scott Taylor solo, or Farmbeetles stuff but I will eventually, (after a brief respite for my pocket-book to recover).

whew
I collapse against the keyboard and pant at the massive effort the storytelling took.

"Has anyone ever noticed that my name is mis-spelled"?
-cloneliness
04-07-2006 14:24 clonliness is offline Search for Posts by clonliness Add clonliness to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Cool! Well....we hope to be doing some nice reissues once this first one gets in the can. So, the things you missed you might end up not havin o pay $10,000 for on ebay. Smile )

04-07-2006 14:31 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

RE: How did you find DA? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Lur King
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
Turn left at Greenland! Tongue

either "Great minds think alike"

or

Blatant Plagiarism

Yup! Pleased

04-07-2006 15:56 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

quote:
Originally posted by clonliness
whew
I collapse against the keyboard and pant at the massive effort the storytelling took.

clonliness, CooL stories... & welcome to the daMB

04-07-2006 16:37 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

Location: He's a real nowhere man, living in his nowhere land, making all his nowhere plans for nobody.

Thanx for the welcome. It's nice to be here, (in my office, [in my underwear]).

-cloneliness
04-08-2006 02:23 clonliness is offline Search for Posts by clonliness Add clonliness to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

agree- Clonliness-
howdy

The only funny part of that story was when you mentioned yer ancient father..cuz mid 50s is my era!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-08-2006 08:06 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Ha ha, JimInY's an old man and....Oh wait a minute.....what was I thinking.....hmmm must be old age creepin in..
04-08-2006 11:13 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

my ancient old man Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I talk about my dad a lot. He was a huge influence on me. In terms of who I am, how I behave, what music I like, how I approach learning new things, where to hide the bodies...

-cloneliness
04-08-2006 12:01 clonliness is offline Search for Posts by clonliness Add clonliness to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

I'm glad I'm not as old as you old farts. I'm a tender 46.

04-08-2006 12:14 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

this board is a bunch of old farts! Tongue
not me... 37 going on 25... Cool

bobd

04-08-2006 12:20 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

Thanks everybody! I was starting to feel old as I approached the last year of my twenties, but now I see it could be a lot worse! Big Grin

-cloneliness
04-08-2006 18:02 clonliness is offline Search for Posts by clonliness Add clonliness to your Buddy List
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Well, I'll come out and say it I will be 50 in December and would love to see some new music
from DA, or the Lost Dogs by then. I find myself getting more cranky and impatient as the years go by, so if I seem to be badgering Terry and the boys, remember I'm going to be 50. Now DAmmit Terry let's go with some more stuff, .......see what I mean.
04-08-2006 18:37 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

That wippersnapper sure has a fresh mouth

04-08-2006 18:38 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Pages (13): « first ... « previous 7 8 [9] 10 11 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you find DA?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH