Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD) » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (19): « first ... « previous 14 15 [16] 17 18 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD) 22 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.18
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

howdy Jason -- da, of course, has always been very experimental, so it was like that from the beginning (when i started working with them at least) and has become more so over the years of our somewhat-experienced-studio-geezership. the choir works pretty much the same way. (don't say it, carl.) Wink
08-04-2005 10:14 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool A dissertation masquerading as a question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yo Chandler,

Since the horse's mouth (or at least some other not-so-distant part) is here among us, let me share an epiphany I just had re: another album from the exact same time (hmmm....), and you tell me whether there's anything to it....

It's a combination of the whole distortion thing, as well as trying to find the prerequisite DA skeleton key to Buechner, which is a great collection of songs but for me has always lacked the gestalt of pretty much every other DA album (you know, where it sounds like "an ALBUM" instead of just a bunch of songs on the same CD). Anyway, without further ado....

Found The Waterboys' A Rock in the Weary Land recently. Anybody who's heard that puppy has probably initially wondered, "What the heck is with all the vocal distortion on this thing, anyway? Lemme just hear Mike Scott's VOICE already!" But now that the album's clicking for me, I'm also hearing the places where his voice is coming through clearly, and particularly, WHEN it's coming through clearly.

Think Out of the Silent Planet (not a big leap, since Scott's a HUGE Lewis fan, as is TST.... you can start to see where I'm going....) -- you know, the idea that everywhere in the universe the transmissions are coming through just fine. But then there's that pesky Earth.... Roll Eyes

Thus, where Scott's dealing with his own anger/confusion, it's distorted. On "My Lord, What a Morning," his voice is clear as day. On "My Love Is a Rock in the Weary Land," it alternates between the distorted story of betrayal by his mentor on the verses and the undistorted delivery of the triumphant chorus. "Crown" moves from distortion to clarity in much the same manner. In "Malediction," his voice comes through clearly while the distortion (again, the betrayal) swirls imminently in the background, leading into "Dumbing Down the World" ("recorded in hell" and performed by a cast of Screwtape characters, if you go by the credits) where the distortion is near-overwhelming. You get the idea.

Anyway, when I'm reunited with my copy of Buechner next week, I'm gonna test this theory out there. But is there any further light you can shed on this, past the only other rationale I've heard -- ergo, "Well, Terry was working with Starflyer so I guess he thought he'd try that here too"? Big Grin Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 08-04-2005 10:22.

08-04-2005 10:19 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Daniel Amos

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

hey carl -- are you talking specifically vocal distortion on MBD? explain a little more? (which songs in particular, etc.)
08-04-2005 10:23 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

There isn't a lot of vocal distortion on MBD is there?

08-04-2005 10:32 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tchandler
hey carl -- are you talking specifically vocal distortion on MBD? explain a little more? (which songs in particular, etc.)

Either way. Vocal or musical. Of which there's tons. The closing Buechner suite, "Who's Who Here," "Fingertips," "Thick Skin," yada yada.... although the initial responses certainly suggest my theory ain't gonna transfer over neatly to Buechner.... Tongue

(it DEFINITELY works for the Waterboys album, though.... I was just hoping that maybe it'd help me finally get over the hump on Buechner.... Crying )

08-04-2005 10:56 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Daniel Amos

i'm gonna have to think about that for a bit, and actually i'd need to hear some of the songs again, but i'll say this: there was a conscious effort to sort of balance the light and dark on certain songs ("this is the one" has the liberace piano thing, but also greg's affected feedback guitar behind it.) the distorted bass is always a conscious decision, but more of a musical one than any sort of statement ... ...(thinking) ...i'll have to listen to some of that stuff again to see if you're on to something.

there are a lot of things that we do in the studio collectively but also separately -- it's possible that terry went about some of what you're talking about, but doing so very quietly. (terry would never say "band, i'm going to have a distorted vocal on this because ....")
08-04-2005 11:05 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I've never really thought about the vocal differences other than maybe a difference of spirit from the perspective of the singer. If that makes sense.
Not really that the edgier vocal is a (anger/confusion, it's distorted) reflection.. bu more that the softer vocals are more coming from a worshipful spirit than the more edgier ones. Sort of like the softer ones are directed at God/loved ones and the harder, edgier vocals are more directed at someone else such as in "Thick Skin". Maybe there is more to it than that, its just how I naturaly hear the songs and have always taken them in.

08-04-2005 11:17 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, it could be pure force of emotion and what conveys that best. Have either of you heard the Waterboys' album in question, BTW? I'd swear there's a very conscious choice of production there -- ain't nobody distorts vocals THAT deliberately without SOME reason for it. Big Grin Again, also interesting that the two albums came out roughly the same time (October 2000 / July 2001).

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 08-04-2005 12:00.

08-04-2005 11:54 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Daniel Amos

carl -- i've never heard that album but it sounds very interesting.

there's a song on the new choir album that has a multi layered distorto bass thing in the middle, and it was done absolutely because of the lyrical content of the song. but that one probably wouldn't interest you. Red Face Big Grin
08-04-2005 12:11 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Does this conversation having anything to do with me sending Mike Scott a copy of MBD? He was anxious to receive it, and then i never heard anything after i sent it...
08-04-2005 12:15 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by baxter
Does this conversation having anything to do with me sending Mike Scott a copy of MBD? He was anxious to receive it, and then i never heard anything after i sent it...

So, did the lawsuit take or what? Is that why Terry hasn't released a full-length (i.e., longer than Van Halenesque) album since then? Tongue

quote:
Originally posted by the bass mammoth who plays for pay elsewhereTongue
[quote]there's a song on the new choir album that has a multi layered distorto bass thing in the middle, and it was done absolutely because of the lyrical content of the song. but that one probably wouldn't interest you.

No. It wouldn't. Red Face

Tongue

08-04-2005 12:30 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Roll Eyes
08-04-2005 12:38 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Administrator

I've not hard the Waterboys album, you say the songwriter is a CS Lewis fan? Does it come across in the lyrics?

08-04-2005 13:05 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

It does in this:

FURTHER UP, FURTHER IN

Further up, further in
Further up, further in

I dreamed the wind came to my house
these are the words fell from his mouth
"The King you seek you'll find him true
but only if he rides the road with you"

Further up, further in
Further up, further in

I was sent to the war, stripped of my power
gagged and imprisoned in a tall dark tower
I must have cried for an age or more
till I saw through tears and I found the door

Further up, further in
Further up, further in

I stepped aboard a ship that flew
It took me wherever it wanted to
08-04-2005 13:21 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Quite often. There's the above "Dumbing Down the World" scenario, as well as tunes elsewhere like "Further Up, Further In," "Church Not Made with Hands" and their big hit "The Whole of the Moon" was supposedly partially for Lewis as well.... Here's a link that helps: http://www.mikescottwaterboys.com/mikesc...presstxt10.htm.

It's been interesting to watch his lyrics move from pagan/mystic to at least verbally Christian over the last 20 years, although interviews bear out that it's more in the Van Morrison-type "God is in all places, and my place just happens to be Christian" sort of way....

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 08-04-2005 13:25.

08-04-2005 13:23 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

i believe that Findhorn remains Mike's spiritual home. Though they talk a lot about light there, i think it is a dark place. i continue to pray that he finds another home.

http://www.findhorn.org/home_new.php

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by baxter: 08-05-2005 19:06.

08-04-2005 13:30 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

Hey guys...

if you've seen the making of Buechner's.... head over to this link and vote on it (write a user review if you'd like). I won't tell anyone how to vote, but if this video gets enough votes it can automatically appear on some "most popular" lists.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472470/

(Note: They're still adding info... right now they only have two cast members listed... the rest should be on the way any day now).

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-19-2005 15:23 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

Done.

08-19-2005 16:19 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

My Review on IMDb Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Here's a link to my comment:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0472470/usercomments-1

Let's all ride the bandwagon & see if we can have some fun with it.

08-22-2005 15:50 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

9.8 out of 10! Wow! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

[quote]Originally posted by audiori
Hey guys...

if you've seen the making of Buechner's.... head over to this link and vote on it (write a user review if you'd like). I won't tell anyone how to vote, but if this video gets enough votes it can automatically appear on some "most popular" lists.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472470/

Wow! 9.8 ain't too shabby.

They have 12 votes so stop voting unless you're adding another 10 rating.

Check the lists & see where it ranks.

08-23-2005 12:24 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Pages (19): « first ... « previous 14 15 [16] 17 18 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD)

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH