Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What turned you on? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What turned you on?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

Naked guy doing situps Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I saw this tape on the self and the cover interested me.

I had a small listen and without paying too much attention bought it.

Put it in the walkman and while cycling home I was astounded. I'd been a christian for about 5 months and I'd never heard anything like it before.

I went back the next week and picked up DFBB.

A year later I saw this tape called Vox Humana that looked like the same thing but that was a band called Daniel Amos not the great DA of FS and DFBB.

Two weeks I looked at the tape again and saw the words "Alarma Chronicles Volume 3"

And life has gone onwards and upwards since then.
03-17-2002 15:08 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

"-but for now we're alive on our motorcycles!" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"-but for now we're alive on our motorcycles!"

Yeah, it was Motorcycle that hooked me too. But it was the 'Eddies' that introduced me to TST.

I kept tellin' the music buyer at the Christian bookstore I worked at for awhile about the music I was into (Crimson, Belew, Talking Heads, Gabriel, The Tubes, etc) and were there any 'Christian' groups in this style?

He showed me the 'Eddies' (first 2 albums)...

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
03-18-2002 12:55 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

For me, it happened in college, but almost dodn't. I'll explain. It was 1987. I was big into jazz music and classic rock, so I was listening to a lot of Blood, Sweat and Tears and early Chicago. (At this time I had very limited exposure to anything labeled as "Christian music".) A friend of mine loaned me a copy of "Let's Spin", telling me that it sounded a lot like BS&T. It didn't. I didn't even listen past the second track before returning the tape.

A couple of years later, another friend and I were driving and he asked if he could pop in a new tape he had recently bought. OK. Out of my speakers poured the poignency of "Hide the Beer the Pastor's Here". I was immediately hooked (who could resist a group of Christians who had the courage to record and release that track?) Shortly thereafter I was huntaing down any Daniel Amos material I could find.

Eventually (without really planning or intending it that way) I realized that I was listening to them several times a week. Thus the body of evidence before me compelled me to declare them my favorite band.

The end.

Thank you for listening.
03-18-2002 15:18 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

talk about yer late bloomers......and I don\'t mean underwear! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Okay, so I'm cruising through life, listening to the likes of Amy Grant, Cindy Morgan, Susan Ashton, Sara Groves, (I like chick singers........can ya tell?) Larnelle Harris (still like him a lot), SCC, whatever's on my local Christian station(s).....and brother JimINy asks me if I've ever heard of Terry Scott Taylor. Says he's gonna see him 'LIVE' in the Cities (that's Mpls/St Paul for you non-MN folks), and I say, "who??" The only Taylor I ever knew was James, and he's my hero...........anyhooooooooooo, brudder lets me listen to Lost Dogs "Green Room Serenade", and I think.....WHAT'S THIS? Christian music? Huh? When did I miss this stuff? That was about a year ago......

I'm probably the newbiest one here....and that's cool, cuz it just gives me more to challenge my utricle (OH, you pigs! That's a part of the ear!!Smile Smile

I've been enjoying a number of bands that are "new" to me....DA, The Choir, Adam Again, TST, others.......

You CAN teach an old dog new tricks, ya know Big Grin Big Grin

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

03-18-2002 15:19 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

HEY, Andrew................ Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

So WAS that one of those self-help tapes, hmmmm???

And was it because it had a naked guy doing situps on it, er what?

YER SCARIN' ME, BUDDDDDDD!!

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

03-18-2002 15:48 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

Yuo think your'e scared Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Woggy
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

So WAS that one of those self-help tapes, hmmmm???

And was it because it had a naked guy doing situps on it, er what?

YER SCARIN' ME, BUDDDDDDD!!

You think your'e scared! I have to live with me.

ARRRRRGGH
03-18-2002 16:22 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
Bulldog Bulldog is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

What? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Back in the summer of 1977. I was helping with vacation bible school at the church I was attending and the people I was working with kept playing the "Daniel Amos" album and at that time I didn't know Christian music existed, but I listened and I have been hooked ever since.
03-18-2002 17:50 Bulldog is offline Send an Email to Bulldog Search for Posts by Bulldog Add Bulldog to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Andrew, Wog-meister... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

-youse guys're like off OFF topic!

(Wwwooooooooooooooooooahhhhhhhhhhhh Nelly!)

03-18-2002 18:42 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Balso Snell
unregistered
\"Shedding The Mortal Coil\" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My youth pastor loaned me a tape of "Alarma!" the summer I worked at a Bible camp. I'd herd rug-rats around by day, then sneak out of the cabin at night to listen to "Brave New Waves" (thank you, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) on my buddy's contraband radio. "Shedding" could have fit right into BNW's typical programming - I was duly impressed that a band of Christians could come up with something so "au courrant" (to use my second vernacular).

Darrell R.
03-19-2002 07:12
bdavis bdavis is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I first heard DA's Shotgun Angel played on the local Christian radio station around 1979 to 1981. It was probably the only release I ever heard on a Houston Christian radio station, although I do remember portions of Alarma recieving secular airplay in Houston. After they started playing a harder rock style, the local Christian station quit playing them. And now some two decades later the local Christian station still doesn't play them either in their CCM or modern rock format. Sound like Houston needs new DJ's or DA needs to proactively promote themselves in Houston, God knows I have been trying. I guess my all time favorite is HD.
03-19-2002 13:13 bdavis is offline Send an Email to bdavis Search for Posts by bdavis Add bdavis to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

probably it was "i love you #19" or "nearsighted girl".

03-19-2002 17:48 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

OVER 300 VIEWS!!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

and only 30 replys?

seems a little strange?

Roll Eyes (i don't think this looks like someone rolling their eyes, just someone with glasses on like me)

BD

03-19-2002 22:44 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

yeah, dontcha luv that "views" feature?! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

that is a smooth feature of the new board-

03-20-2002 10:47 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

whoops, grey background, I\'ll try it again Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

that is a smooth feature of the new board-

03-20-2002 10:48 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Twink Twink is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 03-19-2002

doppelganger, baby Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Believe it or not, I hated Doppelganger when my college roommate played it often in my dorm room. But it really grew on me . . . it's still one of my top three favorite DA records.

Twink
03-20-2002 19:25 Twink is offline Send an Email to Twink Homepage of Twink Search for Posts by Twink Add Twink to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Twink: dctwink2 YIM Account Name of Twink: na
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

This was the first thread I posted on inthe new DAMB so I thought I'd dredge it up and the newbie's canpost their turn ons...
09-02-2002 21:18 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

my turn ons are:

Hey - none of your business.

Big Grin

09-03-2002 12:12 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

OK now. That's not what he was asking and you know it. Big Grin

09-03-2002 12:17 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by brdhsnyrsoul
my turn ons are:

Hey - none of your business.

Big Grin

Roll Eyes
09-03-2002 12:18 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

I know...that was lame.

I first heard the record - rock around the world - it had "home permanent on it" I thought that was the coolest thing I'd ever heard. Got Vox Humana on record and tape. Then got Doppelganger on vinyl - revelation project and fearful symmetry on vinyl - and then the CDs - those beautiful CDs. I've gotten everything else since. Even those rare Maranatha CDs.

09-03-2002 12:21 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What turned you on?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH