Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » So yes, a poll for all to read... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page So yes, a poll for all to read... 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
You Gotta Be There
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Innunedo", hmmm? I'll have to check that one out. "Made in Heaven", geez I never even heard of that one. Guess I've been out of touch for a while. There were about ten years ('88-'9Cool in there where I wouldn't even pay attention to non-Christian artists.

So, what is the story behind "Made in Heaven", anyways? I take it that was their swan song? Was Freddy on it, or was it after he died?
- ygbt
02-21-2004 14:04
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
From http://queen-fip.com
For Made in Heaven the three surviving members assembled to complete songs recorded by Freddie shortly before his death in 1991. A collection of their most personal songs it featured Freddie’s last ever vocal performance ‘Mother Love’.

02-21-2004 14:39 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
You Gotta Be There
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:
From http://queen-fip.com
For Made in Heaven the three surviving members assembled to complete songs recorded by Freddie shortly before his death in 1991. A collection of their most personal songs it featured Freddie’s last ever vocal performance ‘Mother Love’.

thx for the scoop, pup. Smile
- ygbt
02-21-2004 19:42
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

some further thoughts (on "made in heaven")........

i've heard, when they were recording "innuendo" freddie said to keep the tape rolling because he didn't know how much time he had left....and he wanted to record until he couldn't. they would have to take long "rests" inbetween vocal performances but they were all set on fulfilling freddies wishes.

"mother love" is one of my favorite songs, off that album.

02-21-2004 21:47 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

RE: Hey, Hey, Hey! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by You Gotta Be There
quote:
Originally posted by carl
"The Game" a masterwork? Whoa. Granted, it was better than Jazz (the album that has the distinct honor of being the first album I ever literally took out and shot), but uh-uh. I love "Sail Away, Sweet Sister," but the rest I could more or less take or leave. And yes, side one of Hot Space is dreck. But Side Two starts with "Put Out the Fire" and closes with "Under Pressure" (arguably the best thing they EVER did) so how bad can THAT be? (& I like the Lennon tribute, awkward as it was at times).

"The Game" is incredible. Their first six songs on it were all over FM and rightfully so. I heard there's a DVD out on the making of it; I'd love to see it.

"Hot Space", I don't know, it was way too radical of a change, and they didn't sound like much of a band on it. "Under Pressure" was already out way before it; I think they threw the song on there to save it from being a total disaster. "The Works" was an OK comeback, but a little too little to late. "One Vision" was a cool song; but haven't heard any of their albums newer than "The Works". I had kinda lost interest by then.
- ygbt

Good stuff! Pleased

02-23-2004 15:55 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
I can't put these in order but here's my ten:

DA--DFBB
Terry Taylor--Knowledge and Innocence
The Residents--Demons Dance Alone
The Choir--Free Flying Soul
The Lost Dogs--Little Red Riding Hood
The Swirling Eddies--Outdoor Elvis
Frank Black--Frank Black
The Eels--Electro Shock Blues
Starflyer 59 Everybody Makes Mistakes
DAS--Devils Angels Saints

I knew it! Outdoor Elvis! Tongue

01-01-2005 06:19 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Big Grin Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Happy New Year Jiminy!

01-01-2005 07:22 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Chris Estey Chris Estey is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 12-13-2004

as a wise nan said here, this could change tomorrow Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

But for right now:

Phil Ochs, "Rehearsals for Retirement"
Leonard Cohen, "More Songs About Love And Hate"
Velvet Underground & Nico
Elliot Murphy, "City Lights/Lost Generation"
Elvis Costello & the Attractions, "Armed Forces"
Joy Division, "Closer"
T-Bone Burnett, "Proof Through the Night"
DA, "Alarma Chronicles"
Leslie Phillips, "The Turning"
Swirling Eddies, "Outdoor Elvis"

Wait! What about DFBB! Or the Clash's five great ones! Or six or seven Tom Waits' albums! Graham Parker's "Squeezing Out Sparks"! Kevin Coyne! Mark Heard's "Dry Bones Dance"! Vigilantes of Love's "KIlling Floor"! Nick Cave's "Tender Prey" and "the Good Son"! The first Pretenders! American Music Club's "Mercury"!

Etc., etc., etc.

Note to self: Should have spent more time getting my life together, and less time experiencing great music ... sigh.

01-02-2005 00:35 Chris Estey is offline Send an Email to Chris Estey Homepage of Chris Estey Search for Posts by Chris Estey Add Chris Estey to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Question RE: as a wise nan said here, this could change tomorrow Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Estey
T-Bone Burnett, "Proof Through the Night"
Leslie Phillips, "The Turning"

You think these are better than "Criminal Under my Own Hat" and "A boot and a Shoe?" Shocked

01-02-2005 10:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

RE: as a wise nan said here, this could change tomorrow Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

Note to self: Should have spent more time getting my life together, and less time experiencing great music ... sigh.

What's with this crazy talk little fella? Confused Shocked

Tongue Wink

01-02-2005 10:03 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Unsullied Affiche

Thanks, Dennis. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I appreciate it. : )

And to be honest, yes, "Criminal Under My Own Hat" could replace anything on my original list. It is perhaps my very favorite album of the 90s, even though it came out right when the decade started.

I am embarrassed to say I have never heard "Boot And A Shoe" yet.

: 0

01-03-2005 00:43 Chris Estey is offline Send an Email to Chris Estey Homepage of Chris Estey Search for Posts by Chris Estey Add Chris Estey to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Its good.

My CD collection proves it woiuld be difficult for me to make
a 10 CD list...gotta think this through.

DA, Flaming Lips, Wilco, Beatles, Doors, 77s, Keaggy,
Cockburn, Costello..... hmmmmm.

01-03-2005 10:44 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

RE: Thanks, Dennis. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I appreciate it. : )

And to be honest, yes, "Criminal Under My Own Hat" could replace anything on my original list. It is perhaps my very favorite album of the 90s, even though it came out right when the decade started.

I am embarrassed to say I have never heard "Boot And A Shoe" yet.

: 0

You're welcome! Pleased

Dude, drop whatever the hell you are doing and go buy it right now. Cool
And get "Fan Dance" while you are at it, though if you must pick one, get "Boot & Shoe!" Even my wife loves it, and she hates everything! Shocked Tongue

01-03-2005 17:45 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Unsullied Affiche

I love "Fan Dance." MY wife loved that, too, and SHE is also a wife that usually hates everything!

i don't hate everything

My wife caught me and posted that. Sorry for the interruption.

INTERRUPTION!!!!

Thanks, honey, trying to write something here ...

whatever!

That was Heidi, now introduced to the message board. : )

Audiori J: I know, this whole top ten thing is impossible. I can fill a top ten with just TST releases -- I mean, let's admit it, listing the "Alarma Chronicles" as one album COULD BE CONSIDERED cheating. ; ) But even if it's argued to be just one on a list of ten (due to the fact it was re-released all at once at one time, and no one has a silly anti-box set rule), I can honestly come up with nine other TST albums I also would take into complete seclusion. DFBB, AF, Kalhoun, SE's first two, the first TST solo albums, JW, and Motorcycle. There! But then there's probably ten Tom Waits albums I could do that with, too, or Costello albums, or at least a five-five Lou Reed and Leonard Cohen split (Leonard himself could be close to ten ... but not quite).

01-03-2005 22:12 Chris Estey is offline Send an Email to Chris Estey Homepage of Chris Estey Search for Posts by Chris Estey Add Chris Estey to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
I love "Fan Dance." MY wife loved that, too, and SHE is also a wife that usually hates everything!

i don't hate everything

My wife caught me and posted that. Sorry for the interruption.

INTERRUPTION!!!!

Thanks, honey, trying to write something here ...

whatever!

That was Heidi, now introduced to the message board. : )

Yeah my wife says she doesn't hate everything too, but we know better! Wink

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 01-04-2005 04:28.

01-04-2005 04:27 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

note to other self: spend more time experiencing great music...the life together part will come naturally.....

I cannot possibly make a top 10 list- I'm too fickle
but it would include
DA- Motorcyle
Beatles- Abby Road
Bowie- Ziggy Stardust

and I cant name any more- its a musical montage below that........

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
01-04-2005 08:34 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

lets pose it this way...

your house is on fire!- you have time to grab only 5 CDs from your entire collection-

which would you take?

I'd take:

motorcycle
Abbey Road
Ziggy Stardust
Scenic Routes
Wide Eyed Wonder

there that was easy....

then I would sit on my lawn and mourn my tremendous lump of gooey plastic left inside.....

01-04-2005 08:42 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
Happy New Year Jiminy!

sorry I missed that Dennis, my friend

HNY to you..though you're 4 days short..or I'm 4 days late
or whatever..!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jiminy: 01-04-2005 08:50.

01-04-2005 08:50 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Top ten as of five 'til one on January 4, 2005:

1) B-minor Mass / by J.S. Bach
2) MBD / by Daniel Amos
3) Alarma Chronicles / by Daniel Amos (how's that for cheating!)
4) Remain in Light / by Talking Heads
5) A Love Supreme / by the John Coltrane Quartet
6) Serenade for Tenor, Horn, and Strings / by Benjamin Britten (preferably the recording of Peter Pears, tenor, & Dennis Brain, horn, with Britten conducting.
7) Jugular / by Vigilantes of Love
8. Turn, Turn, Turn! / by the Byrds
9) Moving Pictures / by Rush
10 & 11) My Anchor Holds & God's Amazing Grace / by Henrietta

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Gabriel Syme: 01-04-2005 12:05.

01-04-2005 12:03 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
Unsullied Affiche

"your house is on fire!- you have time to grab only 5 CDs from your entire collection-

which would you take?"

I would probably hit the box sets, as a total cheat --

Alarma Chronicles
The Costello Ryko box set of first three albums and live bootleg
Stiff Records Box set (!!!)
Poison Girls box set (obscure but great feminist-anarchist pre-hardcore punk band)
Either the Jam complete box or Lou Reed's "Thought & Expression"

This will of course have changed by tomorrow ...

01-04-2005 12:36 Chris Estey is offline Send an Email to Chris Estey Homepage of Chris Estey Search for Posts by Chris Estey Add Chris Estey to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » So yes, a poll for all to read...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH