Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » TST related Album of the Week - The Swirling Eddies / OE » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page TST related Album of the Week - The Swirling Eddies / OE
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Eleanor Eleanor is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-641.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by Eleanor
RE: Bluff calling time! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
You love ZD that much?
Okay tough guys,
who wants to trade me their copy of Outdoor Elvis for my copy of Zoom Daddy?Evil

I too have them both Pleased

no need to trade
12-30-2004 21:53 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just want to see you wussies put your money where your mouth is! Tongue

12-30-2004 22:01 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I love them both. Pleased

How many themes would you say are present on OE (the album)?

12-30-2004 22:09 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Platyhelminth

quote:

I would hate to be without either one.

I think they are equal but seperate.... hopefully the new Eddies album will complete the Trinity. Cool
12-30-2004 22:13 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor
quote:

I would hate to be without either one.

I think they are equal but seperate.... hopefully the new Eddies album will complete the Trinity. Cool

I hope so too! Pleased

I really love "Let's Spin" a lot too! Pleased It's rockin' & funky! Cool

12-30-2004 22:15 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
PuP

Sacred Cows didn't complete the Trinity for ya?!?

12-30-2004 22:21 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by PuP

uh....

no.

and LS is good, but not on the same level as OE and ZD.
12-30-2004 22:24 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
Chris Estey Chris Estey is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 12-13-2004

I'm going to make a presumption Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

and propose that a lot of the ZD fans here probably got into TST shortly before or around the time that album came out. I think when something's a discovery, we place a huge amount of value on it, mixing up aesthetics with nostalgia and 'awakening.'

Then again, I must confess that ZD didn't do much for me. A previous poster nailed it on the head about the layered quality of TST's work, and how he hasn't taken out ZD much since he first got it. That's my story -- I have the feeling I have strange expectations for TST's work, and he surpasses them with material I'm initially resistant to. I gave a negative review to ZD when it came out but might regret it if I gave it more listens now (highlighting the problem with reviewing, that it's often done without spending enough time with a record -- but if you don't review it quickly, the album might not get enough notice, and you were assigned the review with a deadline for timeliness anyways ...)

All that being said, I think OE could be TST's quintessential work. There is however a compressed quality from so much spontaneous brilliance on one record; it never lets up. I fear the caustic wit and gonads-out rock and roll probably scare people more attracted to the adult alternative of ZD, but again, that's just a guess. OE's intense style is my kind of thing ... though about half of LS I feel is just as terrific.

12-31-2004 19:52 Chris Estey is offline Send an Email to Chris Estey Homepage of Chris Estey Search for Posts by Chris Estey Add Chris Estey to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

That makes sense to me Chris.

12-31-2004 19:58 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Platyhelminth

RE: I'm going to make a presumption Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Estey
and propose that a lot of the ZD fans here probably got into TST shortly before or around the time that album came out.

that doesn't work for me since I've been listening since the first DA album. Pleased

and I LOVE ZD.

of course I like Kalhoun and John Wayne too, which seen to be hit and miss for some fans.
12-31-2004 21:25 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

RE: I'm going to make a presumption Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
and propose that a lot of the ZD fans here probably got into TST shortly before or around the time that album came out.

that doesn't work for me since I've been listening since the first DA album. Pleased

and I LOVE ZD.

of course I like Kalhoun and John Wayne too, which seen to be hit and miss for some fans.

Same here

12-31-2004 21:55 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

quote:
quote:

and I LOVE ZD.

Doesn't work for me either; I came on around the release of MBD.

As to Kalhoun, I haven't given it probably as much as a listen as it deserves, but I like it. John Wayne I LOVE. Smile
12-31-2004 23:35 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Tongue

12-31-2004 23:50 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
PuP

I'm still trying to figure out what "adult alternative" means. Of course I was a little slow on the whole "sepulchre" thing, too...

OE does have a nostalgia thing for me since it was my first TST experience. ZD has grown on me to attain equal status with OE. Kalhoun rocks, who disagrees with that? Confused

If I had to pick a weakest DA/SE/TST recording, it would be the first DA album.

Chris' critique of album reviews is dead-on. I have frequently been underwhelmed by an album only to have it become a favorite six months later

01-01-2005 00:29 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Chris Estey Chris Estey is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 12-13-2004

Eleanor: "that doesn't work for me since I've been listening since the first DA album. ... and I LOVE ZD. "

Well, no offense, I thought it might be an overgeneralization due to my lack of passion for ZD, which I'm willing to concede.

Eleanor again: "of course I like Kalhoun and John Wayne too, which seen to be hit and miss for some fans."

Indifference to "Kalhoun" always bums me out -- that album is so amazing, but it does have both uniquely subtle (stripped down music, subliminal lyrics) and aggressively topical ("Father Explains") material that might not be what people raised on more CCM-type material care to deal with. I mean, half the record makes occasional rock surrealists like Neil Young seem primitive, so your average Randy Stonehill-when-he's-direct-and-not-arty fan might find it a way oblique.

Completely off topic here, sorry -- this is about "OE"; although it would be an interesting thing to contrast "OE" with "K" considering the political focus on erroneous human icons and apocalyptic nature in the lyrics of both.

PuP: By "adult alternative" I mean music that's more accessible, but still not mainstream -- which ZD seems in comparison to OE, which seems pretty flat out punk or garage rock at times.

My favorite personal OE anecdote is driving back to Seattle from Portland in '93. I'd been living at Mikee Bridges house (Mikee was the leader of Sometime Sunday and Tragedy Ann and started Tomfest here in WA) and was coming home to be near my new girlfriend (now wife). Anyways, the person who drove was Eben, the guitar player in a band called Blenderhead, and he and I sang and shook our heads and air guitared and dashboard drummed all the way through OE on the drive. (That album, and Queen's "Greatest Hits.") I love it when you know every lyric on an album with someone and both of you sing along to it on a long drive ... we seriously agreed that OE could have been as historically important a rock album as anything by Sonic Youth or Pavement or whatever hot avant-rock band was on the cover of all the zines at the time.

Half hour here to go but HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I am home sick with a cold so that's why this post is so "War & Peace."

01-01-2005 01:20 Chris Estey is offline Send an Email to Chris Estey Homepage of Chris Estey Search for Posts by Chris Estey Add Chris Estey to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

The way I see ZD is maybe 3 adult alternative songs. The Twist, Pyro, one or two more. Then we have wacky stuff that mainstreem listeners will hate (I love) like Nightmare At The Elks Lodge and Art Carney's Dream. It's way less adult alternative (IMHO) than much of Terry's solo stuff.

01-01-2005 01:41 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by PuP

how about swirling mellow? Shocked

Heck, I think Farm Beetles counts as an Eddies record! Tongue

01-01-2005 04:09 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by PuP

Chris' critique of album reviews is dead-on. I have frequently been underwhelmed by an album only to have it become a favorite six months later

Yup. I didn't care for Motorcylce for years. I love it now! Cool

A lot of folks don't care for Bibleland, for me that record gets more listens than any other in my collection. Shocked

I didn't like Darn Floor or get it for about two years. My all time favorite now! Pleased

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 01-01-2005 04:13.

01-01-2005 04:13 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
we have wacky stuff that mainstreem listeners will hate (I love) like Nightmare At The Elks Lodge and Art Carney's Dream.

Those songs don't do much for me, for good or ill. Confused

I like the lyrics...

01-01-2005 04:15 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Eleanor: "that doesn't work for me since I've been listening since the first DA album. ... and I LOVE ZD. "

Well, no offense, I thought it might be an overgeneralization due to my lack of passion for ZD, which I'm willing to concede.

my momma Elle again: "of course I like Kalhoun and John Wayne too, which seen to be hit and miss for some fans."

Indifference to "Kalhoun" always bums me out -- that album is so amazing, but it does have both uniquely subtle (stripped down music, subliminal lyrics) and aggressively topical ("Father Explains") material that might not be what people raised on more CCM-type material care to deal with. I mean, half the record makes occasional rock surrealists like Neil Young seem primitive, so your average Randy Stonehill-when-he's-direct-and-not-arty fan might find it a way oblique.

Kalhoun to me is just a great rock record. To not like this record is not to like rock-n-roll.

Gloryhound could be a great Stones song overplayed on classic rock radio. (Or Neal Young for that matter.)

quote:

Completely off topic here, sorry -- this is about "OE"; although it would be an interesting thing to contrast "OE" with "K" considering the political focus on erroneous human icons and apocalyptic nature in the lyrics of both.

That's a great insight. Cool

quote:

PuP: By "adult alternative" I mean music that's more accessible, but still not mainstream -- which ZD seems in comparison to OE, which seems pretty flat out punk or garage rock at times.

Outdoor Elvis is his "White Album" kinda all over the map and flat out awsome. Cool

quote:

My favorite personal OE anecdote is driving back to Seattle from Portland in '93. I'd been living at Mikee Bridges house (Mikee was the leader of Sometime Sunday and Tragedy Ann and started Tomfest here in WA) and was coming home to be near my new girlfriend (now wife). Anyways, the person who drove was Eben, the guitar player in a band called Blenderhead, and he and I sang and shook our heads and air guitared and dashboard drummed all the way through OE on the drive. (That album, and Queen's "Greatest Hits.") I love it when you know every lyric on an album with someone and both of you sing along to it on a long drive

That's great! To be no much it better than a long trip with a buddy playing a great record you both know like another old friend you took along for the ride.

Cool

01-01-2005 04:27 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » TST related Album of the Week - The Swirling Eddies / OE

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH