Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » For Lyrics Send $2.00 and a S.A.S.E. to.... a 77s/Mike Roe Tribute » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page For Lyrics Send $2.00 and a S.A.S.E. to.... a 77s/Mike Roe Tribute
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

BD and contributors, you have outdone yourselves!!! I got it today and I love it. The only song I don't care for is that Paula what's her name thingy... Red Face Big Grin Let me just make one thing clear...it reminded me of that double CD tribute to Mark Heard except most of the songs are actually better than those professional ones. I will do a song by song in the poll section. I will start a poll tomorrow if someone does not do it before me. We played it for our thanksgiving tonight. Everybody enjoyed it Tongue

11-23-2004 22:57 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well wes, Cindy's favorite song was yours. It's great stuff Tongue I don't know what my favorite is yet. I can't wait to listen again in the morning Tongue

11-24-2004 00:27 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Well wes, Cindy's favorite song was yours. It's great stuff Tongue I don't know what my favorite is yet. I can't wait to listen again in the morning Tongue

duh!!!!

it's my other song! Tongue

11-24-2004 00:31 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Tongue Tongue Tongue

11-24-2004 00:37 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Official Impasto

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
quote:

duh!!!!

"which one is that" you ask. Smile

why it's "caught in a unguarded moment". it doesn't quite sound the same though(stupid internet transfer).

11-24-2004 18:12 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Hey BD, what's the deal with "nailtatt" inside the CD cover...did you not want to leave him out Big Grin

11-24-2004 22:07 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Eleanor Eleanor is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-641.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
quote:
quote:

duh!!!!

"which one is that" you ask. Smile

why it's "caught in a unguarded moment". it doesn't quite sound the same though(stupid internet transfer).

Frown
bummer...
11-25-2004 00:18 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
Official Impasto

Smile it's all good!

11-25-2004 00:53 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

I'll have to give it a listen. At first I thought you were talking about the Brian Healy song as your other song Tongue Tongue Tongue

11-25-2004 10:51 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Platyhelminth

Jevon Anonby reviewed the Tribute project on his banophernalia web site. He has 100s of other reviews as well, some of you may want to check out his website if you have not been there before.

http://www.banophernalia.com/index.htm

For Lyrics, Send $2.00 and a S.A.S.E. to ... (©2004 Negative Fruit) 3 Stars

1: Dave's Blue 2: Someone New 3: U U U U 4: Sunshine Down 5: Lutheran Hymn 6: MT 7: Till Jesu Comes 8: Leaving 9: Snake (cold hearted mix) 10: Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba 11: I Can't Get Over It 12: The Lust, The Flesh, The Eyes and the Pride of Life 13: Hold Dearly To Me 14: Ao seu lado (Nowhere Else) 15: This is the Way Love Is 16: Smokescreen 17: Cry Out Loud 18: Closer 19: Tattoo 20: It's For You

BigDork (real name disguised, which is disturbing considering he's really quite proud of being called a Dork. Ask him about his collection of colour coded pocket protectors) is making quite a name for himself in the indie arena. This is the third "fan"oriented tribute album the man has helmed, and he has puts together a quality package (music will be discussed later). He's really outdone himself this time around - the cover art is great (way to go littleDork). The criteria for appearing on the tribute was pretty simple. Claim a song, record a song, submit a song. As you can appreciate, submissions run the gamut from outstanding to, er, ah - insitting. But that's what makes a fan tribute so appealing. Besides, does anyone really give a rat's bottom what I think anyway?

I confess I have a song here, which more or less strengthens the "If I can do it, you can do it" nature of the project. You may be asking, "Okay wise acres, I'm a fan of the band, should I get this?"

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer ... maybe.

It all depends on how deep your appreciation for refrigerator art goes. If nothing less than perfect will do, then stay away, because there are moments here that would fit nicely on the American Idol auditions bloopers soundtrack (what kind of name is Bano for a band? With a name like that the band must be able to take a lot of crap). But if you can look past that to the heart of what is being done, then you're the same type of person who appreciates it when your cat brings in a dead bird for your approval. In other words you're more than ready for a fan tribute for this most tribute worthy band.

There is a lot of charm here. In fact if you're a fan, this album is like having one of those "family" concerts where everybody regardless of ability shows off just because it's fun, and there's no harm in being goofy with your relatives. As I sit here writing this my three year old daughter held up the jewel case and pointed to the cartoon of Mike playing the guitar and proclaimed, "This is the bestest funny guy dad." Which just about sums it up.

If you're curious take a chance, after all there are enough honest to goodness moment here to make this worthwhile.

Reviewed September 25, 2004

More information visit the BigDork site.

(This review is based on a preview copy I received prior to the full release.)
11-30-2004 19:00 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
jwaltb
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-23-2002

Hello to all you wild and crazy Damb-ers (and your alter egos)! Thought I'd log in and post a line about the 77s tribute. Got mine day before yesterday and was able to hear about half of it so far. There really are some good musicians/technicians out there! I've liked alot of what I've heard. I have to say the first song really took me by surprise - those Three Nails guys (whoever they may be) really kick it. Was blown away by the guitars. It's all good, though. One other thought 'fore I dive back into work....... I was listening to Ba-ba-ba-ba as I arrived at work today and found myself thinking, "What a great theme song for the Democratic party!" Of course, that might just be me.

Y'all have a good day.

Jim B
12-01-2004 12:31 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
jwaltb
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-23-2002

quote:
Originally posted by jwaltb
......beeheaded Damb-ers (and your alter egos)!

Beeheaded!!! That ain't what I said! How did I get that from C-razy??!?

JB
12-01-2004 12:34 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

blame the audiori's Tongue

12-01-2004 12:36 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Carman's mom
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 07-28-2003

My baby pie deserves a tribute CD tooEvil

12-01-2004 13:30 Carman's mom is offline Send an Email to Carman's mom Search for Posts by Carman's mom Add Carman's mom to your Buddy List
Carman's mom
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 07-28-2003

What is a neonate!!! You are so shameless. This board is stupid!!!

12-01-2004 13:31 Carman's mom is offline Send an Email to Carman's mom Search for Posts by Carman's mom Add Carman's mom to your Buddy List
Platyhelminth

bowling pin did a tribute to your son on damb it Red Face
12-01-2004 13:36 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Big Grin I forgot about that Tongue

12-01-2004 13:46 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

I was going to ask Wes about the Healy song. Here's where things ger unfair, I'll not pick on Jimsonweed or Dorf, but I'll step out and go "what?" to Brian's song. Wes, why the muddy mix, and how come you buried the vocals in the mix? It was a good version, and typical of Brian's better moments.

There's a story in how you hooked up, and somehow I think it involved Theo in there somewhere ...

As to that "review" by that tall fellow, it wasn't as easy as he let on about getting on the album ... I had one song, only one. Okay, so it was already taken by another band ... but gee whiz.

By the way, the official release is stronger overall by a smidgeon than the pre-effort, and Brian's song fits in really well with the opening punches.

12-01-2004 15:09 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
Official Impasto

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Pedasso
I was going to ask Wes about the Healy song. Here's where things ger unfair, I'll not pick on Jimsonweed or Dorf, but I'll step out and go "what?" to Brian's song. Wes, why the muddy mix, and how come you buried the vocals in the mix? It was a good version, and typical of Brian's better moments.

There's a story in how you hooked up, and somehow I think it involved Theo in there somewhere ...

well, i believe the majority of the muddiness came when i put the mp3 up for big dork to download....cause the mix i have is nowhere near as muddy. but besides that....the vocals are where brian wanted them. there are five stereo guitars, four seperate drum sets all going at once. i had my own ideas for the mix but brian had the ultimate say (since it was his song not mine) but we did discuss mixes...we just didn't always see eye to eye. good times. Smile we are gonna be playing a couple times this month....once in west la and once in orange county at some goth club.

brian and i hooked up in june, i think, no story really....and theo wasn't involved...although they were both at my home one night for a bbq which was a lot of fun. Smile

12-01-2004 15:30 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

I'm er, that tall feller is in the process of interviewing the big guy, and I'll have to make a point of saying he was wrong. Now, Wes, if you ever need someone to solo for you and I can "mail it in" I'll play for free.

12-01-2004 16:17 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » For Lyrics Send $2.00 and a S.A.S.E. to.... a 77s/Mike Roe Tribute

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH