Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » This is ridiculous » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page This is ridiculous 4 Votes - Average Rating: 5.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I can bring my cassette in from the truck Big Grin

11-24-2004 00:09 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

yep.

or you could buy one of my cd's for $50.00. Shocked

Big Grin

11-24-2004 00:12 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Big Grin I'm waiting for the reissue with the bonus songs Shocked

11-24-2004 00:20 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

(sigh) me too.

11-24-2004 00:23 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Big Grin It will happen one day... Crying

11-24-2004 00:26 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
For me, the worst DA song is either Climbing Broken Ladders To Glory or Turn This Off.

I love those songs! Shocked

I tell you! Even worse than the country CD is the tune "I Believe In You!"
To me this song is the only really blatent "sell out, I wanna be BJ Thomas tune!"Shocked

However I don't "hate" anything Terry has done! Big Grin When I listen to HD, I don't skip that song. I enjoy it as well in my own way! Tongue

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 11-24-2004 07:31.

11-24-2004 06:30 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

dfbb Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
yep.

or you could buy one of my cd's for $50.00. Shocked
Big Grin

Good God Man! How many do you own? Shocked

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 11-24-2004 06:32.

11-24-2004 06:31 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by joey
dfbb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pleased

One thing in life we can agree on... Smile )

11-24-2004 06:33 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
Methinks it's time to resurrect the "album of the week".

Me too! Pleased

11-24-2004 09:33 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

DFBB it is then.

To open discussion, let me pose this question...

DFBB is well-known to be about the inadequateness of our language to express God. But, Terry is well-known to never discuss one topic in a song/album if he can tie in other topics.

So, what are the other (possibly minor) themes on DFBB?

11-24-2004 10:38 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

1. strange requirements
2. flying cars

11-24-2004 11:01 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Well, let's pick it apart...

Return Of The Beat Menace

from the album "Darn Floor - Big Bite"
Words and Music by Terry Taylor, Tim Chandler, and Greg Flesch
©1987 Broken Songs (ASCAP)

Again you announce while you whirl and bounce
Intentions to pounce on the beat menace

No woman or man could ever withstand
The devious plans of the beat menace

Come to lay you low, we've come to vex your soul

Feeling the heat, hell at your feet
Don't even speak of the beat menace

Something to take away your innocence
Someone to blame it on
Helps you to defeat
Dancing in the street

Come to lay you low, we've come to vex you

Resolved in your mind- the nature of crime
Is to swallow the line of the beat menace

Imagination's on the rise again
So hide your heart away
Dust off the fears and guilts and lies again
The beat is here to stay

Your satellite can reach that Eskimo
He buys a suit and tie
Re-styles his hair like girls in Tupelo
And sings "Sweet Bye And Bye"

He's meeting all your strange requirements
He thinks you can't be fooled
He'll get the rules and laws and sacraments
By sending checks to you

We've come to bring you low

I see this one as another slam at Televangelists. Is the beat the gospel? I do know you get tired of hearing about the Residents and I am sorry but when I saw The Residents Eskimo DVD this song jumped in my head...especially...

Your satellite can reach that Eskimo
He buys a suit and tie
Re-styles his hair like girls in Tupelo
And sings "Sweet Bye And Bye"

Which reminds me of the end of the Eskimo DVD when all the Eskimos are drinking coke and acting western. Then it gives the facts how many were re-located to the desert and now spend their time on welfare watching TV. In other words, it takes a proud group of people and shows how they were reduced to slackers by the Government thinking they know what is best for them.

This happened in a Christian sense when communism fell in The Soviet Union. All the Christian media groups fought to be the first ones there and pervert a God hungry people with their twisted lies.

But even so, the beat goes on...

Did I completely butcher that one???
Big Grin

11-24-2004 11:01 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

OK, I am completely wrong about part of that. The Beat Menace is God and the beat is feel good Christianity. God keeps screwing it up for them... Big Grin

11-24-2004 11:16 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

But then this line:

Resolved in your mind- the nature of crime
Is to swallow the line of the beat menace

Makes me think I was right in the first place. Unless, of course, the bad guy resolved in his mind that the beat menace was bad...I better shut up and let you guys help me out Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dorfsmith: 11-24-2004 11:18.

11-24-2004 11:17 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Princess flower bottom Princess flower bottom is a female
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 11-22-2004

Frown Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

11-24-2004 11:24 Princess flower bottom is offline Send an Email to Princess flower bottom Search for Posts by Princess flower bottom Add Princess flower bottom to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

I may be just as wrong as you, dorf, but I thought that RotBM was about televangelists speaking out on the "dangers" of Rock 'n' Roll. The televangelists go to great lengths to win converts and then make them twice the children of Hell the evangelists are in the first place. And the whole time, Rock 'n' Roll refuses to die.

11-24-2004 11:28 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Princess flower bottom

Joey hit it on the head! Pleased

I think terry's songs tend to be about more than one thing though.

I think it also deals with the more sublime aspects of God and trying to sell God in a neat package. Then the neat package is mistaken for God.
Idolatry.

11-24-2004 11:29 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Princess flower bottom Princess flower bottom is a female
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 11-22-2004

like i said...... Red Face

11-24-2004 11:29 Princess flower bottom is offline Send an Email to Princess flower bottom Search for Posts by Princess flower bottom Add Princess flower bottom to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Princess flower bottom
like i said...... Red Face

Cool

11-24-2004 11:30 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
I may be just as wrong as you, dorf, but I thought that RotBM was about televangelists speaking out on the "dangers" of Rock 'n' Roll. The televangelists go to great lengths to win converts and then make them twice the children of Hell the evangelists are in the first place. And the whole time, Rock 'n' Roll refuses to die.

Great thought. I need to listen to it with that in mind Tongue

11-24-2004 11:32 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Pages (6): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » This is ridiculous

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH