Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » My Fabulous Night With... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page My Fabulous Night With...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Cool My Fabulous Night With... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The Lost Dogs! Big Grin

MF and I had a great time in Knoxville tonight! Bear with me as I have quite a bit to post!

First, the set list, if you're interested:
1. If You Want To
2. To Cover You
3. A Certain Love
4. Come Down Here
5. Ten Gallon Hat
6. Like a Cloud
7. Grace is the Smell of Rain
8. Startin' Monday
9. It's So Sad
10. Deeper in the Heart
11. Sunshine Down
12. The Lust, The Flesh, The Eyes & The Pride of Life
13. Moses In the Desert
14. Built For Glory/The Great Divide Medley
15. Papa Danced on Olvera Street
16. Honeysuckle Breeze
17. I'm Setting You Free (But I'm Not Letting You Go)
18. Wild Ride
19. "Medley of Our Hit":
Gates of Eden
Three Legged Dog
Bad Indigestion
Close But No Cigar
Pray Where You Are
Breathe Deep (The Breath of God)
20. Why Is The Devil Red?
Encore
21. Beautiful Scandalous Night
22. Ain't Gonna Fight It
23. All The Very Best Things

Now, I'll move on to our experiences (I'm sure MF's experience was a little different than mine, and he'll probly fill in my gaps Big Grin ).

We got there and the guys were doing the sound check. Derri walked back and forth a few times past our table, that was basically front and center (just back from the 2 front tables off to either side).

Being a fan of Derri, I have to fill this in: my seat was strategic so I could watch him play his geetars without anyone in front of me (being short, I wouldn't have been able to see if we had been placed at any other table than one of the 3 front tables)

They played wonderfully tonight, typical Lost Dogs style. They had a total of 7 guitars between the 3 of them on top of all of Steve's percussion equipment. The whole concert was kind of an intimate living room feel (probably cuz we were so close). Mike was wound up as usual, with Terry a close second. Derri shook his head at them often throughout the evening and sounded just as sweet as ever. Steve's percussion was very creative(ie at one point he held a tambourine between his knees and hit it occasionally in the midst of hitting other drums) and gave a nice touch to the Dogs live show.

At one point, Terry asked how everyone was tonight. There was a lot of mumbled answers and then he said, "Are you bored?" My response was, "No way", but it wasn't very loud. Our son heard me and said it very loudly just as the entire room got quiet. Terry's response was, "Out of the mouths of babes". Pleased Big Grin

Another moment with our son was when he wanted to do something, but we didn't understand exactly what he wanted. He started to get upset and cry. By the end of the song he was really crying, and Terry said, "I think I upset someone". I wanted to crawl under the table. Crying

After the encore, they came back out to play 3 more songs, finishing off the night with All The Very Best Things, which MF and I really enjoy!

There was a woman from Cincinnati travelling with the band to do publicity on this tour. She was standing at the CD table. Toward the end of the concert, our daughter decided to stand with her to "help them sell CDs". Our daughter is our little entrepreneur. She will try to sell anything to anyone ~ kinda like dorf! Big Grin And the blond hair and blue eyes certainly doesn't hurt anything! Wink

At the end of the concert, we got to talk to the guys a little bit, got our pictures with them (have to wait until the film is developed Crying ), and got our newest Dogs CD, Mutt, autographed. Derri and Mike signed the CD. Terry signed the inside of the liner notes, "To Bereal & Mountain fan of DAmb - Go to Church!! Terry S. Taylor" Pleased

After that, our son wanted to "go talk to the band". I asked him if he wanted to talk to Mike, cuz he really likes Mike. He stalled and then said, "Derri, I shake his hand". So we walked up and he shook Derri's hand and started talking a mile a minute. At one point he told Derri, "I have super curls". We had a great laugh over that one. Later by the CD table our daughter grabbed hold of my shirt and hid her face and said, "I don't want to talk to Derri." This was on the heels of staring at him when he walked up to the counter of the cafe to get a cup of water before going on. She was just being shy.

That's about it for my experience. I didn't actually talk to Mike, but MF did talk to him when he signed our CD. You'll have to get that scoop from MF! Tongue

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
07-01-2004 01:48 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

beautiful!!!!!

07-01-2004 02:49 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Very cool!

I am jealous!

Big Grin

07-01-2004 05:25 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Bereal.. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks so much for that-
"Medley of our hit"
only the Ol Dogs could do that.

You didnt mention if there were many folks out. (we worry you know- Pack them "Big rooms"!)

Was it at a Church- coffee house?
Really -sounds wonderful- and hey - your lil one was "part of the show"....

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jiminy: 07-01-2004 07:28.

07-01-2004 07:28 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Ben Ben is a male
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 06-15-2004

I can hardly wait til the 7th! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

bereal - sounds like it was a great time. Set list looks great. I can't wait until the Dogs come to Derwood on the 7th - I'm soooooooo excited I can't stand it. One week to go!!!!!

Ben
07-01-2004 07:43 Ben is offline Send an Email to Ben Search for Posts by Ben Add Ben to your Buddy List
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

1. If You Want To
2. To Cover You
7. Grace is the Smell of Rain
9. It's So Sad
11. Sunshine Down
12. The Lust, The Flesh, The Eyes & The Pride of Life
17. I'm Setting You Free (But I'm Not Letting You Go)
18. Wild Ride
21. Beautiful Scandalous Night
22. Ain't Gonna Fight It

All of MuTT CooL Cool

07-01-2004 09:56 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

wow, I wish they would come home to south cal and play Crying Sounds like you had a lot of fun Tongue

07-01-2004 10:48 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

RE: My Fabulous Night With... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by bereal
BEREAL!

... Bear with me as I have quite a bit to post!

I'll bare with you anytime, baby! Pleased Wink

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-01-2004 11:18 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

RE: My Fabulous Night With... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:
BEREAL!

... Bear with me as I have quite a bit to post!

I'll bare with you anytime, baby! Pleased Wink

Shocked

Now where did that MF & bereal thread go!?!

07-01-2004 11:31 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Big Grin

07-01-2004 11:38 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Mike had a cool electric that I hadn't exactly seen before. From a distance, I assumed it was a Telecaster because of the hardware on the body and overall shape. Then, I noticed it had one "F" soundhole on the left side. It didn't look thick enough to be a semi-solid body and I though it kinda strange if it was just a decoration or something. It was hard to tell in the lighting, but afterwards I was looking at it and yep it was a semi-solid body (hollow). It was only a bit thicker than a standard guitar (maybe 1/2 to 3/4"?). I don't remember looking at the headstock to see it's shape or what it said. He also had his Taylor.

Derri had the light blue Strat guitar that Mike had borrowed on the 77s tour, as well as his Gibson acoustic and another one I didn't recognize the brand of. He also had a greenish electric, the body of which was symmetrically cut thru on both sides of the upper frets to the bottom of the neck, so that each side of the body had sort of a "longhorn" look or something.

Terry had his big Guild, of course.

I think they had the most back-and-forth banter of any of the other 3 concerts of theirs I have been to in the last few years.

At one point, Terry lapsed into a crazy Dr. EDT impersonation back and forth with Mike and it finally ended when he asked something like if Mike wanted to see his magic pocket. They just cracked up at that point and moved on.

I hate to guess how many were there but I would say probably 80-120. It looked like a decent crowd in the somewhat small storefront building. It was a bit bigger than the Evening Muse in Charlotte.

I missed being front-and-center for at least half the show because I was in the cafe side of the building (it had speakers and large opening connecting the two sides) with the kids, who were having fun playing with chess and backgammon pieces and running wild in addition to somtimes dancing. I met a neat young lady named Sara (after she and the kids started playing together) that attended Lee University there in Knoxville. She mentioned she had recently been on a tour as part of a drama team from Lee that went as far north as PA and south into GA and AL. She said it was neat to see the different churches. She said one was a little unnerving because they taped the show and got fairly close to the performers with multiple cameras and such. She said they performed at a small Church of God in our town. She also said that they went to one that was quite weird because the Pastor and his family were the only ones left. It seems a number of other families had just left in the prior Sunday or two. It made me think of DA's "The Lucky Ones" off of MBD. I shared how there is almost a church on every corner in our town (one of the greatest concentrations per capita, square mile, or something, can't remember) but many are small and many of the people there would be unlikely to welcome in people that really need to be there. She had a couple of piercings over one eye and her dress was alternative for sure (but fairly tasteful and un-revealing) and it was neat talking to her. She had been homeschooled some in the upper grades. She left when her boyfriend and his friend were done playing chess.

Got a few miles left ...

07-01-2004 11:45 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

MF-

thx for the gear specs- dont hear that all the time!

You are the Saintiest for lettin your dear one drool in Derris shoes- while you did the MR Mom routine.
I wont allow my wife to be a Dog fan - fer that very reason!!
(Jk - shes not a music lover to any degree...but lets me do "my thing.")

Great Personal review!!
Thank You-

We want more We want more

what we dont want is to see terrys magic pocket-.. that brought an audible while reading!

PLUS - that is a Doggie Crowd !- smaller venues that fill up are what the Boys like I think.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jiminy: 07-01-2004 12:22.

07-01-2004 12:21 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jwaltb
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-23-2002

Hey y'all! Gotta add my "AMEN" to all the great sharing of info about the concert. It was almost like being there. Well, maybe not that "almost"..... Anyway, it was indeed great. And MF, I agree w/ Mr. Jiminy; I appreciate the gear info - I'm into that. I have to take a stab at the ones you were unsure about - (it's kinda like naming that tune or something). Mike's tele sounds right. I have seen some semi-hollow Tele-shaped guitars out there and think Fender even had one at one time but there are other cos. that make 'em. Could be G&H?? As for Derri's other acoustic; when I saw them play in Houston awhile back he was playing an Ovation or something similar with that "bowl" shaped back and the sound holes in the upper bout - could that be it? And for my final answer - just a shot in the dark on the electric - sounds like a Parker Fly, which is one cool guitar. Are you familiar with those?

Thanks again for taking the time to put down your impressions, and all you other "lucky ones" out there: don't forget to do your part!

JB
07-01-2004 12:49 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Great stories

07-01-2004 13:01 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by jwaltb
Hey y'all! Gotta add my "AMEN" to all the great sharing of info about the concert. It was almost like being there. Well, maybe not that "almost"..... Anyway, it was indeed great. And MF, I agree w/ Mr. Jiminy; I appreciate the gear info - I'm into that. I have to take a stab at the ones you were unsure about - (it's kinda like naming that tune or something). Mike's tele sounds right. I have seen some semi-hollow Tele-shaped guitars out there and think Fender even had one at one time but there are other cos. that make 'em. Could be G&H?? As for Derri's other acoustic; when I saw them play in Houston awhile back he was playing an Ovation or something similar with that "bowl" shaped back and the sound holes in the upper bout - could that be it? And for my final answer - just a shot in the dark on the electric - sounds like a Parker Fly, which is one cool guitar. Are you familiar with those?

Thanks again for taking the time to put down your impressions, and all you other "lucky ones" out there: don't forget to do your part!

JB

Mike's electric Tele? looked like it had been around quite awhile, so I think it was an actual Fender rather than a copy (and also because he endorses Fender electrics now). I had never heard of a semi-solid Tele. I think it is a really cool guitar.

Derri's 2nd acoustic was not an Ovation (I know because I have a Celebrity and want a 1861 Balladeer with cherryburst top). It was a fairly traditional-looking guitar with a medium brown stain finish (didn't look mahogany, though) and normal soundhole. Also, the front and back curves made it look "fat", kinda like a smaller version of Terry's Guild, as opposed to his Gibson that didn't have as fat curves.
I do think I remember him playing a cherryburst Balladeer (or other model with normal center soundhole) at an Arizona show BigDork had pictures/video of posted on his site at one time.

Derri's non-strat electric wasn't a Parker fly (looked a pic up on the web). The "horns" were fairly parallel to the neck, a bit thinner, and the body was symmetrical, with the cutouts going down to the bottom of the neck on both sides. If I remember right, I think the headstock may have had 3 tuners on each side and a little shorter than most.

Got a few miles left ...

07-01-2004 13:08 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
illustrator illustrator is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 07-01-2004

I just registered on this board. I hope I"m clicking all the right buttons. I've enjoyed reading the comments about the Knoxville show. I was there so I thought I'd add my thoughts.

A couple more quirky highlights were when Terry did his impression of Edward G Robinson's character from The Ten Commandments. Adding that he was smoking a cigar in the film. When Mike objected that they didnt have cigars in The Ten Commandments, Terry said something like, "It was the Old Testament! Miracles happened all the time back then. I'm surprised you don't know that!"

Also Terry had us all stand and do Rapture practice. I'll let someone else explain.:-)

I would have to say I didnt think the crowd was as big as stated earlier. When I did a quick count it was under 50 at that time, right after the show began. But that was only in the main room, not the adjoining room. I wish it were a larger crowd.

I took a friend to the show who was unfamiliar with the band. Unfortunately, he is an eye doctor and was on call and had to leave at around song #7. He did return...for the final song. He did buy the new cd however and said he was very impressed and can't wait to hear more.
07-01-2004 13:17 illustrator is offline Send an Email to illustrator Homepage of illustrator Search for Posts by illustrator Add illustrator to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by illustrator
I just registered on this board. I hope I"m clicking all the right buttons. I've enjoyed reading the comments about the Knoxville show. I was there so I thought I'd add my thoughts.

A couple more quirky highlights were when Terry did his impression of Edward G Robinson's character from The Ten Commandments. Adding that he was smoking a cigar in the film. When Mike objected that they didnt have cigars in The Ten Commandments, Terry said something like, "It was the Old Testament! Miracles happened all the time back then. I'm surprised you don't know that!"

Also Terry had us all stand and do Rapture practice. I'll let someone else explain.:-)

I would have to say I didnt think the crowd was as big as stated earlier. When I did a quick count it was under 50 at that time, right after the show began. But that was only in the main room, not the adjoining room. I wish it were a larger crowd.

I took a friend to the show who was unfamiliar with the band. Unfortunately, he is an eye doctor and was on call and had to leave at around song #7. He did return...for the final song. He did buy the new cd however and said he was very impressed and can't wait to hear more.

Cool

Our 5 yr old daughter thought the rapture practice was cool.

My estimation of the attendance is admittedly not very precise because our table was down front and I didn't survey the room that well from the connecting doorway either. I guess the tables were more spread out and/or less full than I estimated in my memory. I would still have guessed it was a bit more than 50 though, but I did not count.

Got a few miles left ...

07-01-2004 13:21 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Bryan Bryan is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 11-13-2002

quote:

Our daughter is our little entrepreneur. She will try to sell anything to anyone ~ kinda like dorf! Big Grin

Big Grin
07-01-2004 13:46 Bryan is offline Send an Email to Bryan Search for Posts by Bryan Add Bryan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Derri also had a neat new-looking pedalboard unit with 2 big pedals and probably a half-dozen switches or something. It was bluish-purple with some orange-tinted LCD screens. I want to say it was Line 1 brand but I wouldn't bet on that.

Derri had a small electric amp that I couldn't quite make out the brand name of.

Terry had 1 pedal that I saw.

Mike had a big conglomeration of pedals on a homemade setup. I remember at the 77s Alcoa show he had a buncha power adapters plugged into an outlet which looked kinda funny. Didn't notice if it was in fact the very same board or not.

Mike had a small Vox amp for his electric.

Got a few miles left ...

07-01-2004 13:46 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Bryan
quote:

Our daughter is our little entrepreneur. She will try to sell anything to anyone ~ kinda like dorf! Big Grin

Big Grin

My supervisor had a sort of backyard BBQ event for the small group I work in this year. Our daughter roasted at least a dozen marshmallows and put them on separate napkins and was going to sell them for $1 each. Big Grin

We also played & sang a few songs.

Got a few miles left ...

07-01-2004 13:50 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » My Fabulous Night With...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH