Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bill Mallonee » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bill Mallonee 2 Votes - Average Rating: 8.502 Votes - Average Rating: 8.502 Votes - Average Rating: 8.502 Votes - Average Rating: 8.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Vox Robotica
quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
like i said before, what little i have heard of his was very boring..... Red Face
i don't like sf59 either...............

or most "Christian" music for that matter.............. Tongue

Have you ever actually listened to SF59?

I mean, c'mon - it's not overt, it's well crafted, and it's good music. Who cares if it has the Christian label or not?

I think in your quest to avoid anything labeled "Christian" you've missed out on some truly great stuff.

Roll Eyes

~ Vox

nah..... i've tried to listen to them and some of those other bands really trying to have an open mind and like them..... Frown
L. Bangs, who is a professional music reviewer even said on the dadl one time that their are only 2 Christian bands worth listening to: Daniel Amos and Adam Again.............
Mike Knott and Mike Roe both write some great songs too, but the other half of the what they write is easily forgettable........
that's just the way it is.... get over it.. Cool
i wish there were more Christian bands worth listening to.. Frown Scaterd Few and Breakfast with Amy were both great! they never sold enough albums to really make a living though.........................

05-06-2004 13:01 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
nah..... i've tried to listen to them and some of those other bands really trying to have an open mind and like them..... Frown
L. Bangs, who is a professional music reviewer even said on the dadl one time that their are only 2 Christian bands worth listening to: Daniel Amos and Adam Again..........

I was about to say "Lester Bangs said THAT? Cool!" when I remembered... I forgot about ol' L..... Smile

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
05-06-2004 14:12 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

RE: Yeah, yeah.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by carl
Ignore those VoLheads, Joey....

way ahead of you.... Big Grin

Coming from a guy who AIN'T one, though, find Slow Dark Train. For loud, relentless, yet liberating self-abusive nakedness, I'll take it over Perfecta any day of the week.... Cool

over perfecta? hmmm....

I knew invoking the P-word would get yr attention. Big Grin

I should add, in fairness, that the self-abuse here is more of the depressed, borderline-suicidal kind (his dad looms large in the background here) than of the out-of-control substance and/or marital implosion type. Still, you oughta give it a shot. Two samples, the first & last songs (either of which could serve as prayers as themselves -- I've definitely used the first as one):

Locust Years

here's one more raw emotion to contend with
one last bullet to defend the fort with
i was drowning in complacency's cheap perfume
yeah, licking my wounds

one more specimen, one with real potential
if the suit fits, well, you're looking quite presidential
i picked your face out of some police photos
yeah, steps of the wicked overthrown

come have your way with me
there's nothing left
there's nothing left to see

salome's overweight, she broke jacob's ladder
where the corpse is, honey, you know the vultures gather
yes, i've always been taught that love was worth keeping
yeah, truth worth believing

there's nothing left
there's nothing left to see
so come have your way
there's nothing left
there's nothing left to see.... (rinse and repeat as needed Big Grin )

Judas Skin

what is it you need to hear?
it's on your lips and in your ears
if too much static or unclear
still, still He holds you dear
hound of heaven on your trail
keen sense of direction and smell
knows your need before you do
and when you bleed, He does too

on my own again
on my slow dark train
how is it i am found
in my judas skin, spinning down?

(I'd swear there's four more lines here, but I can't find them....)
what is it that i fear?
why is it i don't trust?
when hiding out becomes career
what am i covering up?

on my own again
on my slow dark train
how is it i am found

what is it you need to find?
i love your Spirit working overtime
and when I come out of this spin
and i see You're still my friend

on my own again
on my slow dark train
how is it i am found

Sucker helped get me off my own slow dark train a few years back, and so I pass it on to you.... Smile

05-07-2004 08:44 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

shameless Shocked

05-07-2004 08:53 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, that's the best kind of music, isn't it? Big Grin

05-07-2004 09:09 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

shameless music? Shocked

05-07-2004 09:24 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

I thought he was plugging Garth Brooks.

05-07-2004 09:36 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

That's shamelessly commercial music. Get yr terminology straight. Tongue

05-07-2004 10:13 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Baby

05-07-2004 10:16 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
shameless music? Shocked

Brittney Spears is shameless music...or is she just shameless Tongue

05-07-2004 10:34 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'd go for the second. The word "music" probably isn't even in her vocabulary.

Speaking of which, is "music" a Dolch word? Tongue

05-07-2004 10:36 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Thread Starter Thread Started by Eis
it's... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Scandinavian. "Music" is a Scandinavian word.

Perfecta v. Slow Dark Train?

I couldn't choose...

Just have to listen to lots of Bill Malloneeand Adam Again Big Grin
05-11-2004 10:14 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Thumb Up! check it out Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

http://www.wpln.org/songwriters/

May 8, 2004: Erin McKeown, Bill Mallonee, and Tom Mason

Bill does 4 songs live Cool

05-12-2004 07:46 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

killing floor is definitely my fav.....though i dig jugular a lot too.....i don't enjoy his more pop stuff near as much...i like to hear his syncopated delivery, and it is more obscured on the pop stuff....

though his lyrics are always top notch!

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

05-15-2004 22:27 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

Vol Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I still haven't heard Killing Floor...or Jugular. I need to. I've heard some amzing songs from those albums, through the VOL compilation album.

I know what you mean, larryl. Summershine is actually what got me into Bill's music (especially the song "You Know That"), and I do love the brit-pop. But the folk/rock/americana has something even more special to it. That's all I've heard live, too... Hima and Jake, playing mostly Audible Sigh tunes.
05-16-2004 16:56 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

5/13/2004
A little message from bill mallonee

Subject: DEAR LIFE,
Hopefully by the time this post makes it into your boxes, the fervor over the "1 vs. 2 CD set" will have abated somewhat.

And so we bring you: "Dear Life,"
That's the title of the new one.
Let me begin by saying: "No need for any hurt feelings here, folks." The few folks (and they were indeed very few) who expressed some disgruntlement over our messing with the vertical and horizontal of the "original deal," (as opposed to the new and improve "crispy" deal) were almost to a man/woman more than willing to kick in the extra fiver for 2nd CD. No, quite frankly, there were other reasons we went with this plan.

To regress one last time: it's pretty simple economics. More songs equals the need for more time to record, mix, master and even more of that circular plastic stuff they bury the digits of info in. Yep, more "time" means it takes more "do-rei-me" to pull that off...And we could have done that...We were close...We were close 'cause we were good stewards with your bucks...and your good faith. And plus, I'd like to think you bet on a good "pony." (no pun intended)!
The situation that unfolded? I had the tunes (a lot of them), I had the production ideas, we had a good budget...AND we had the services of one of the BEST producer/mixers in America in John Keane, who gave us great rates and a great heart to this project. The bottom line is we fell a bit short of completing what could have been a 2 CD set....But you know what?

It's all good, folks!
"Dear Life" is the result...and we're real happy about her upcoming birthday.

All the brouhaha had a positive effect. It forced us to look at the current "Big Picture" industry wise. Our dilemma was this: How can we get this project, these tunes to a wider audience? Tim and I have been sifting through many ideas over the last few days. We decided that 2 CD set is unrealistic and even commercially less appropriate for what I need at this point in my (ahem)! so-called "career!" (lol)!
Although two CD sets are rare, and hardly ever forgotten, there is a tendency for them to show up on an artist's radar when he or she has already delivered that really "big record" that puts them in a place where critics and such take even more astute notice. And the sad footnote, folks? I have the tunes, but I ain't got the profile. For years now, with each offering, I hoped and wished for a base hit. Sure, I was eagerly awaiting the reversal of such dumb luck throughout last year by associating Perfumed Letter with a new label. Awaiting a change in the outcome; a reversal of dumb luck. Alas, such was not the case.
Dumb Luck: about 16 records now vs. Bill: zero!

Whatever...
But don't despair. Keep watching fans and friends! Those "wasted tracks" (and quite a few more)! from the 2nd CD will see the light of day. We plan to finish the "other record" very soon. Stay tuned for announcements.

But let's get back to the issue: Our need to release a record that critics, radio and media can "get their brains around" (pathetic phrase) is what is driving this decision to NOT release a double CD...but a solid single one, "Dear Life,"
Basically we came to this conclusion: "We need a record folks can figure out and appreciate. That means a record that is more concise and manageable." NOT one that's hard to digest or one that could be perceived as self-indulgent. (It could be dangerous to open oneself to that...not that I give all that much of a rat's derriere about what any critic thinks...but I'll play along one more time. Summershine and Perfumed Letter, btw, were short 44 minute pop-rides-PERFECT!)
What to say? Blame it on the shortened attention span that a culture of sound-bytes and rapid fire video images has spawned. Blame it on the 20 minute commute. Blame it on the fact that most records are based on that one killer song...and the rest is forgettable. But whatever the reason, or combinations of them, it seems wise to release "Dear Life," as a single CD.

And so, welcome if you will, "Dear Life." She'll be the one I'm the most proud of to date. Let me explain why it think it's of my "best." I divide my work into two categories; the pop stuff and the Americana stuff. No, they're not hard and fast categories. But of all the "Americana stuff," this new one (I think) is the "best." And by "best," I mean the one that is the most naked/poetic, brutal and beautiful....tones and lyrics all dovetail and blend and reinforce each other. In some ways "Dear Life," was a record for me that was an attempt to affirm love and hope and joy when I had lost faith in those things and even tested those "ideas" beyond human measure. And that's all the Cliff's Notes I can give you. That's what I mean by best...all the filters are down. Of course soon you'll be the judge.

But whatever the commercial results, be they "large" or meager, we need to raise our glasses for a toast...a toast to you all on this list and news group. I wanna say a heartfelt "thanks" to you all! Thank for all the goodwill, the concern, and the encouragement involved in this project! It has been nothing short of amazing. I felt "connection" throughout the duration...that's no small thing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me? I'll hope that "Dear Life," will have a nice birthday. Most of the time, I find myself thinking that there's no place for this type of "kid" in today's "nursery." And if there isn't, well, that's nothing new to me. She'll be like all those other orphan kids (I've fathered) that got dropped off in a basket with a blanket; Dropped off with a knock at some stranger's door late one night. You know, like they portray in the old movies. And you? You'll rise from your easy chair and say: "Now who could that be at such late hour? Oh, look, Marge, it's another one......of bill mallonee's babies!" LOL!

And if that's the case, (to wax slightly sentimental) I'll be content to stand by a streetlight, in the shadows, and watch. And no doubt I'll say a prayer as that thin sliver of doorway light disappears and she's taken in her new home. And I'll shuffle home kinda slowly, but more or less, deliberately.
And I'll dream.
I'll dream that she'll grow up and to be holy and strong and wise and beautiful. And I'll dream that she'll become an immense blessing to those that took a big chance on her that night.
And I'll hope she'll bring as much hope and joy to that household, and to her friends, present and future, as she brought to me when she was "conceived" and then brought into the world.

pax,
bill mallonee

05-21-2004 11:23 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

Thumb Down! Pin My Hope! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I like "Pin My Hope" better as a title. But I don't care that much; just waiting fot the music. Should be anytime now...I hope... Confused
05-22-2004 14:53 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 07-27-2003

RE: Pin My Hope! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My wife and I saw Bill early this year in a 'house concert' setting. I defy any of the VOL naysayers to experience the man's music that way and not come away a fan. I prepaid for the new project (and the Buddy and Julie Miller ep that is supposed to come with it) and I'm really looking forward to hearing it. River of Love, Solar System and Resplendent are my personal fave tracks.

05-26-2004 18:35 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 07-27-2003

quote:
L. Bangs, who is a professional music reviewer even said on the dadl one time that their are only 2 Christian bands worth listening to: Daniel Amos and Adam Again.............

L. Bangs as in Lester Bangs? I remember reading his stuff in Creem as a teenager. Hard to imagine Bangs on dadl. Didn't he die back in the 80s,
drug related? Great, great writer, for the genre.

05-26-2004 18:45 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

No. He lifted it from Lester (who, yes, died in 1983) but different guy. Still pretty good taste, though. Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 05-27-2004 07:40.

05-27-2004 07:40 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bill Mallonee

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH