Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Where is the next generation of Mark Heard's » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Where is the next generation of Mark Heard's 3 Votes - Average Rating: 6.33
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Keith was always up front and honest.

04-30-2004 13:36 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Some of Mike Knotts Music resembles the aforementioned-
He is brutally honest., and can be much darker than Keith or Mark ever were.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-30-2004 15:07 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
FaintScentsOfSewage
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-26-2002

a favourite of mine

http://www.treebyleaf.org/music/
04-30-2004 15:24 FaintScentsOfSewage is offline Send an Email to FaintScentsOfSewage Search for Posts by FaintScentsOfSewage Add FaintScentsOfSewage to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Besides those previously mentioned, the only one I can come up with is Starflyer 59. Jason Martin does not have the poetry that mark heard did but he certainly makes moving music. If you havn't already, buy up everything Starflyer 59 ever did.

Jason has some good lyrics, but his real genius is in the music! Cool

04-30-2004 15:31 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Mike Knott is awesome. Shaded Pain is top notch!

Adam Again is something special as well.

04-30-2004 15:33 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

I can't see many Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My first Mark Heard disc was "Satelite Sky", which had both "Orphans Of God" and "Freight Train To Nowhere" on it. You can tell he labored intensely on the lyrics, but they didn't come across as too overworked or clunky.

This was just a guy who liked how words sounded and how you could construct such elegant and meaningful phrases from nothing as disposable as a single word.

So I'd probably reiterate the names that have already been mentioned and add Bruce Cockburn to it, as well as Sam Phillips who has a new disc out (A Boot And A Shoe)...

DwD
05-01-2004 08:45 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
HEMISPHERICALHEADS HEMISPHERICALHEADS is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-07-2003

RE: Why you wanna cry? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by zippetydoodaddy

Lucinda Williams - Rated PG-13, but full of the beautiful, sacred and profane! Spiritually full.

Bill Malonee and The Vigilantes of Love - Shut up. Bill is the re-incarnation of Mark Heard. His is a collection that forces you to seek out every album; past, present and future.

Yes....Lucinda's last "World Without Tears" is quite the album..The song in which the "F" word is used is very , very , stirring...One of my top three releases of 2003..
Listen...

And yes Bill..I have quite a bit of his stuff..Probably 15 or so albums. (And that is NOT his entire discography! He is quite the prolific writter. He just keeps cranking them out! I'm lacking "Jugular" , "Live at the 40 Watt", and "Across the Big Pond." Love that catholic brother..

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by HEMISPHERICALHEADS: 05-01-2004 11:41.

05-01-2004 11:33 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
HEMISPHERICALHEADS HEMISPHERICALHEADS is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-07-2003

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Besides those previously mentioned, the only one I can come up with is Starflyer 59. Jason Martin does not have the poetry that mark heard did but he certainly makes moving music. If you havn't already, buy up everything Starflyer 59 ever did.

Jason has some good lyrics, but his real genius is in the music! Cool

Thanks to you Dennis , I'm wanting to check these guys out...I recently icked up a "Tooth and Nail" sampler called "The Nail" for family listening and a SF59 tune was on it..right up my alley sonically!! Big Grin
05-01-2004 11:35 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

bill, definitely Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Bill Mallonee is amazing! Just about my favorite artist; I love his music and his lyrics move me to no end. I actually found him first (with summershine), then Daniel Amos (I actually found Lost Dogs first, but found GRSP1 and was afraid of country at that time). I moved into all Terry's stuff after that abd found out about Mark Heard from getting the "Strong Hand of Love" tribute Video free with an order from CBD. Bill, Terry, and Mark are among my favorites now. I've gotten Mark's final trilogy on cassette from RadRockers, and am working on getting those converted to CD-R with the wonders of technology Cool
05-01-2004 20:06 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

strange Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

eis-
just backward for me. I been a Heard fan since even before idEOlA..and am just now starting to explore Mr Bill. (thx dambers....)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
05-02-2004 09:09 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Angry Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
quote:
Mark's lyrics are just plain amazing. I don't quite see how you can compare him to Keith Green in that Keith Green was not much of a poet and mark heard was. Many of his songs were spiritual only in an alegorical sense like terry's. Listen to High Noon again.

"...one kiss and I'm lost in your charms."

actually i would compare his lyrics more with the choir......

mediocre at best... Tongue

That's just MEAN, Joey.... Evil

No comparison. Granted, I didn't get much out of his earlier stuff, but the last three albums (& High Noon which encompasses them) are great. Mark Heard was my nexus maybe five years from secular music with a handful of Christians making their way there (Tonio K., Bruce Cockburn, The Call, T-Bone & Sam Burnett, et al.) to "the ghetto" where valid Christian music actually existed & deserved to be found and to dominate my personal airwaves today. Were it not for Mark Heard, I never would have found Terry, Mike, Rich Mullins, et al. & al. & al.

Re: comments about VoL elsewhere: Get Slow Dark Train. That's the only one you need (heck, it may be the only CD anyone needs by anyone, Zoom Daddy notwithstanding). A lead weight that sinks to the bottom of the heart. The rest is hit-and miss. Yes, good lyrics, but to me it can be so whiny....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 05-02-2004 17:49.

05-02-2004 17:47 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

hmmmm... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Interesting Carl: Slow Dark Train seems to be the least appreciated of Bill's Albums. I would say it's my least favorite, but that still places it nicely on my list of favorites Pleased Judas Skin, Locust Years, Facsimile, and Only A Scratch are amazing. Oh, and for some less whiny/depressing stuff from him (which is the best whiny/depressing stuff there is; taking one to the edge of a cliff where one teeters, falls into the dark void, and lands in the arms of Grace), check out Summershine and Perfumed Letter. BTW, as I'm harping on this, are you talking about his vocal style as being whiny, or just the songs as a whole?
05-03-2004 16:37 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

Lamp Zoom Daddy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Zoom Daddy! : Big Grin
05-03-2004 16:39 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

RE: hmmmm... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
Interesting Carl: Slow Dark Train seems to be the least appreciated of Bill's Albums. I would say it's my least favorite, but that still places it nicely on my list of favorites Pleased Judas Skin, Locust Years, Facsimile, and Only A Scratch are amazing.

You forgot:

I think about my ship run a-ground
All of the people I let down
Yes, and the mercy we have found
And the mercy we have found

Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying every time.... Smile )

quote:
Oh, and for some less whiny/depressing stuff from him (which is the best whiny/depressing stuff there is; taking one to the edge of a cliff where one teeters, falls into the dark void, and lands in the arms of Grace), check out Summershine and Perfumed Letter. BTW, as I'm harping on this, are you talking about his vocal style as being whiny, or just the songs as a whole?

Since there's two questions there:
1) I have no problems with depressing stuff. Heck, I LIKE depressing stuff. Big Grin Lets me know someone's actually been where I am now (that's "now" in a general sense, people; don't go reading unnecessarily into that Evil ) & that there's a way out.... (and FWIW, what I heard of Summershine didn't impress me). As such, I have given out Slow Dark Train almost like a prescription when I see other guys where I'VE been.... Smile

2) Re: the whininess: It's sort of both. It seems to come out more in his voice on the earlier stuff (prime example: "Who Knows When The Sunrise Will Be") and more in the songs themselves later on (I checked out after Fetal Position and that turgid baseball song). With a little less gratingness (or just a lower pitch), he could be Bruce Cockburn (speaking of great depressing albums: Go track down The Charity of Night if you haven't already)....

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 05-04-2004 07:23.

05-04-2004 07:18 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool RE: Zoom Daddy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
Zoom Daddy! : Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

05-04-2004 07:21 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Roll Eyes Tongue

05-04-2004 07:43 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

this may be one of the Next Generation...

Jason Gay

I had 43 people over for a house concert last night.

Jason is a Good mix of humility, talent, speaking, & Rock & Roll!

05-04-2004 09:13 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
Vox Robotica
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpg

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned Daniel Smith, AKA Danielson. His music is an aquired taste, but he's the artsiest of the artsy.

~ Vox

"The systems fail
All the circuits blown
And the message lost in this machine oh

05-04-2004 10:19 Vox Robotica is offline Send an Email to Vox Robotica Homepage of Vox Robotica Search for Posts by Vox Robotica Add Vox Robotica to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr YIM Account Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr View the MSN Profile for Vox Robotica
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Danielson is the coolest!!! I have most of his CD's. Good stuff Tongue He's even better live Pleased

05-04-2004 12:01 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

All The Mercy We Have Found... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
You forgot:

I almost put that song title down there too!
05-04-2004 12:35 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Where is the next generation of Mark Heard's

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH