Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Intro. to Mr. Taylor? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Intro. to Mr. Taylor?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I'm not sure how many have actually been there from the beginning.

I remember about 9 years ago telling someone I liked DA, 77's, and The Choir. This person liked the CCM male singer who cheated on his wife. (I can't remember his name). Anyway, she said they're all old. You like them?

08-24-2002 15:27 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mark

I remember about 9 years ago telling someone I liked DA, 77's, and The Choir. This person liked the CCM male singer who cheated on his wife. (I can't remember his name). Anyway, she said they're all old. You like them?

Older than dirt! Tongue

08-24-2002 15:35 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Old is good

08-24-2002 17:32 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:

Older than dirt! Tongue

talking about old...

I was just looking at a video from Cornerstone '84 (thanks commander cote) this is some vintage stuff!

maybe I'll make a clip from one of the sets....

I'll have to check with CC first.

BD

08-24-2002 18:52 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

That sounds cool

08-24-2002 18:55 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
HEMISPHERICALHEADS HEMISPHERICALHEADS is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-07-2003

I had to revisit this..It was pretty comical...
11-26-2003 19:05 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:

Older than dirt! Tongue

talking about old...

I was just looking at a video from Cornerstone '84 (thanks commander cote) this is some vintage stuff!

maybe I'll make a clip from one of the sets....

I'll have to check with CC first.

BD

Look at this...
The beginning of what would be Big Dork infamous "cornerstone '84 DVD..."
11-26-2003 19:07 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Daa Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My name is Jason, and I am a DanielAmos'oholic.

I think we bought Alarma and Doppelganger close to the same time,
then in like the next three weeks bought Horrendous disc, Shotgun
Angel and the first album in that order. And bought everything
ever since. Cassette, CD, LP, anything.

...oh and by the way, the Mellow cassette...was just a cassette
with a photocopied cover. We could have a few made if there are
a few people wanting them for nostalgia purposes.

We grew up in a pretty square Church, and to say they didn't exactly
encourage the listening to Christian rock would be an understatement.
Some of the people were totally bizaare in their logic, they wouldn't let
their kids listen to Christian rock. But they would let them listen to
anything else.

We were wearing concert shirts to 'youth functions' and things,
and our long hair didn't help matters. I tried to get the youth minister
at the time to listen to DA.. he didn't run and hide, but he didn't embrace
it either. Hehe He did start going to those Colorado Music conferences
and Steve Taylor played there and he sorta loosened up some. Smile
Then that youth/music minister left and we got a new one who was into
the fluff of CCM. He thought he was pretty cool and hip for listening to
those hard rockers D&K. He was pretty radical, took the kids to a Wayne
Watson concert, and then to a the Tuxedo Clad Megastar at six flags show. I am not sure
how that concert went I think I had to ride a rollercoaster while it went on
so I missed it. Bummer.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-27-2003 11:00 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
wes jr wes jr is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 11-26-2003
Location: "This is as true today as.......umm...when it was written" -Homer J. Simpson

Well....my dad has liked Terry's music since i can remember, and when i was in like, i think, in 5th or 6th grade my dad gave me an extra copy of Zoom Daddy by The Swirling Eddies. then he got me a copy of Mr. Buechner Dream, and i loved it. i've been into Terry and his stuff since Zoom Daddy, wow i have herd the story behind that CD and that is some alsome writting on Terry's part!!!!! And i like everything i hear from him.....even though i don't like the contry side of Terry i still admire his writting ability.

11-27-2003 21:59 wes jr is offline Send an Email to wes jr Homepage of wes jr Search for Posts by wes jr Add wes jr to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of wes jr: j o k r s i n c
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Pleased

11-27-2003 22:21 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
You Gotta Be There
unregistered

a series of events got me into Taylor:

event 1:
I was in the Bible bookstore looking for a new and exciting tape to buy. I saw "Songs of the Heart". Interesting cover, interesting title, hmm maybe there's some good stuff on it.

event 2:
Listened to it. "Well I like the first song, the remake; but geez those other songs are a little weird compared to what I'm used to."

event 3:
Girl from 3 apartments over sees the tape: "Oh I like that group, and so does my firend who is a priest with AIDS. He really likes Daniel Amos."
So I say "Hmmm", and try to play it another time; but it still doesn't click.

event 4:
I make a friend at a Promise Keeper's breakfast, and he says Daniel Amos was his favorite group way back when. I tell him "Well I got one of their newer tapes; you can borrow it if you want." So he borrows it the next time.

event 5:
He returns the tape and is raving about the song "When Everyone Wore Hats", how he and his wife really loved the song, the lyrics, and the tape. I say, "Well heck I never really made it all the way too deep into side 2, let me give it a listen."

event 5:
Played the song "When Everyone Wore Hats", and followed the lyrics closely. It blew me away too, and I became addicted to the whole side 2 of the album.

event 6:
From thenceforth my curiousity of the band/Taylor was enkindled and since then I've gotten:
Motor Cycle
Bibleland
Kalhoun
Doppleganger
Miracle Faith Telethon
Briefing for the Ascent
All Lost Dogs except the latest (hopefully soon)
John Wayne
Buechner
Neverhood songs
Berry Vest
Surfonic Water Revival
had someone burn dfbb for me

And that's the story so far. Still looking to beef up the DA collection with some of their older classics. (And still waiting for side one of SOTH to catch fire with me).
ygbt

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by You Gotta Be There: 11-28-2003 09:34.

11-28-2003 09:33
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

BD, go ahead and put a clip on from 84.
I bought Shotgun Angel in 78 or 79 and have been hooked ever since. I seen them on the famous "Amos & Randy Tour in 1980 (still one of my all time favorites).I was fortunate enough to be able to work with a promoter in the Twin City area who brought in everyone from Larry Norman, Randy Stonehill, Steve Taylor, Mark Heard, Rez Band to of course Daniel Amos about three times I believe. I seen them at the first Cornerstone (duh, the video) and the third Cornerstone. What a joy it's been to have seen them everytime without ever being let down. That goes for the Lost Dogs too.

I vote for a "Amos & Randy" tour 25 years later!

We need to get more video from old concerts. I believe someones holding (hoarding?) on to some stuff!!

We (I am speaking for myself, and, a lot of close DA friends) would like to hear more bootleg type stuff. I know of a few shows that I think fans would love to hear. How about a quarterly release? Or maybe twice a year? We NEED TO KEEP THE INTEREST GOING!!??!!

Sorry about the rambling...I guess I just feel real passionate about it!
Commander
11-28-2003 09:56 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Commander Cote

Sorry about the rambling...I guess I just feel real passionate about it!
Commander

No need to feel sorry... Cool
I think I pretty much feel the same way..Although I don't have the years of seeing them like you do...The first time I actually saw any Terry Taylor live incarnate band was the Dogs "Little Red Riding Hood Tour..."
11-28-2003 10:42 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by You Gotta Be There
a series of events got me into Taylor:

event 1:
I was in the Bible bookstore looking for a new and exciting tape to buy. I saw "Songs of the Heart". Interesting cover, interesting title, hmm maybe there's some good stuff on it.

event 2:
Listened to it. "Well I like the first song, the remake; but geez those other songs are a little weird compared to what I'm used to."

event 3:
Girl from 3 apartments over sees the tape: "Oh I like that group, and so does my firend who is a priest with AIDS. He really likes Daniel Amos."
So I say "Hmmm", and try to play it another time; but it still doesn't click.

event 4:
I make a friend at a Promise Keeper's breakfast, and he says Daniel Amos was his favorite group way back when. I tell him "Well I got one of their newer tapes; you can borrow it if you want." So he borrows it the next time.

event 5:
He returns the tape and is raving about the song "When Everyone Wore Hats", how he and his wife really loved the song, the lyrics, and the tape. I say, "Well heck I never really made it all the way too deep into side 2, let me give it a listen."

event 5:
Played the song "When Everyone Wore Hats", and followed the lyrics closely. It blew me away too, and I became addicted to the whole side 2 of the album.

event 6:
From thenceforth my curiousity of the band/Taylor was enkindled and since then I've gotten:
Motor Cycle
Bibleland
Kalhoun
Doppleganger
Miracle Faith Telethon
Briefing for the Ascent
All Lost Dogs except the latest (hopefully soon)
John Wayne
Buechner
Neverhood songs
Berry Vest
Surfonic Water Revival
had someone burn dfbb for me

And that's the story so far. Still looking to beef up the DA collection with some of their older classics. (And still waiting for side one of SOTH to catch fire with me).
ygbt

An excellent series of events... Big Grin
Physics in action....Cause and effect.
11-28-2003 10:44 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

Wow! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

what great testimonies. Wish I had one... Wink Wink Wink
11-28-2003 11:32 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

1980, Wheaton, Illinois Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Fall 1980, a poor college student went to a drawing at Scripture Press. The drawing was for the latest from this group called Daniel Amos. You look at the cover, what the... the eyes are airbrushed. "Alarma". Interesting, wonder what that means.

The student puts his number in the bowl, and he wins it!

They let him put his number back in for another drawing, for 5 of anything. He wins it again! People murmur that the fix is in, but he doesn't care. He sees another Daniel Amos recording with a flying saucer. He gets it, along with four others including a couple of Keith Greens.

Yep, that's me. I became a fanatic 23 years ago.

Now for my wife:

September 1984, Wheaton, Illinois. DA is in concert, they play some Alarma, a lot of Doppelganger, a few from Vox Humana. I invited my girlfriend to come. She hates the music. All of it. To make matters worse, the boys pushed it by encouraging the crowd to dance, when they knew they were going against the college policy.

A happy ending: she married me in spite of the "weird" music I liked. And what turned her around on DA were the fun concerts at Cornerstone and one particular Terry recording (Avocado Faultline).

11-28-2003 14:34 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

In early 1990 I was in the bookstore and saw this tape with an interesting cover (no i did not think it was a naked guy doing situps) I had a quick listen on the in-store tape player and likes what I heard.

Stuck in the walkman and started to bike home. I was totally blowen away within two blocks - WOW!

The next week I picked up- DFBB on tape and a year later Vox humana and Outdoor Elvis.

That was pretty much it till the mid 90's when I moved to a bigger city and motorcycle came out. Been buying a lot since then.

11-28-2003 14:35 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Yes, we've been tracking down various video clips. We really
want to get some stuff out as soon as we can. Starting with the
DVD we currently have for sale. With the income from releases like this,
maybe new material will be given the opportunity to exist. Smile

The Cornerstone 2000 show would really work well, we just need
someone to send us a couple more angles for editing. If you know anyone
who filmed that show, please get them in contact with us.

Would anyone here be interested in the Son Worshippers film on
DVD? I would like to put it out soon.

j and e

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-28-2003 14:41 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Jason, Eric, who are you talking to here? Of course we would be!

Is there anything by da on it?

11-28-2003 23:11 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

Would anyone here be interested in the Son Worshippers film on
DVD? I would like to put it out soon.

j and e

That would be a dream come true?

I only know what I've read abot that particular feature from reading it on a Larry Norman liner note. It's a complete film just never was released right?
We're talking early 70s?
11-29-2003 05:33 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Intro. to Mr. Taylor?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH