Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Jevon the Tall unloads on LITTLE, big » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Jevon the Tall unloads on LITTLE, big 6 Votes - Average Rating: 7.006 Votes - Average Rating: 7.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Jevon the Tall unloads on LITTLE, big Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Should this be on the argument page?

This is an odd moment for me. I’m totally underwhelmed by a Terry Taylor release. I think it’s more the arrangements that don’t work for me, than the songs. Rob Watson is a talented guy, and his work on previous DA (particularly Fearful Symmetry), and TST albums was very complementary. This time it sounds stale, and dated, almost as if he and Terry recorded the songs using a RadioShack© keyboard and Terry’s guitar – which is too bad, as Terry is a writer who can twist a phrase in a way most wordsmith’s dream of - Witness the emotion of Mama’s in the Desert – heck he can noodle a good tune too, it’s just that they’re buried in the clutter on this one.

Everyone’s allowed an off moment here and there.

No doubt I’ll shell out the cash for the full release, which will feature all new songs. I’m a fan after all …

(as posted on the TST page at banophernalia.com)

08-27-2002 15:56 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Yo Jev! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Figured you'd read your own post, so.... have you picked up the Dum Dog Run (i.e., this is SpinAl'tizer) CD yet? And what do you think of it?

(BTW, I STILL haven't picked up Little, Big.... )

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
08-28-2003 08:51 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Thumb Down! RE: Jevon the Tall unloads on LITTLE, big Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

sounds like a "dump" item to me! Red Face

08-28-2003 09:44 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Don't get too excited, Doc.

Even Jevon is allowed an off moment every now and then.
08-28-2003 10:49 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Thread Starter Thread Started by Jevon the Tall
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Rick send me the Dum Dog Run stuff a few months ago. That is one freakin' excellent CD. Totally not like his Belew influenced stuff.

This is a heady guitar driven mullet inspired pop / rock experience. Imagine Cheap Trick mixed up with the Cars minus the keyboards.

Highly recommended. I really really liked it. Of all the stuff the Rick sent me this was a highlight.

08-28-2003 11:34 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by baxter
Don't get too excited, Doc.

Even Jevon is allowed an off moment every now and then.

Tongue

08-28-2003 12:53 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall
Rick send me the Dum Dog Run stuff a few months ago. That is one freakin' excellent CD. Totally not like his Belew influenced stuff.

This is a heady guitar driven mullet inspired pop / rock experience. Imagine Cheap Trick mixed up with the Cars minus the keyboards.

Highly recommended. I really really liked it. Of all the stuff the Rick sent me this was a highlight.

I'm still kinda working through it. I've become quite the Altizer completist in the last few months -- even got Soul Lift, which is kinda hit-and-miss but has its moments (read: Johnny Cash and Mike Roe).... but I couldn't break down for the Worship Jamz CDs....

Anyway, Dum Dog Run.... It doesn't quite hold up for 40 minutes, to my ears, but the opening one-two-three punch of "Unraveling" ("Hey / look at my sweater / it's unraveling / Hey / better forget her/ it's unraveling")/"Mullet"/"Jennifer Anniston" is pretty cool, as is the cover of "Let's Go." And for pure '80s moronicness, it's hard to top the Spin-Doctorish:

"I
want to rock the world
I'm keepin' it real
keepin' it simple
Simple
Yeah."

All right, so maybe I need to give it a few more spins.... Big Grin

08-28-2003 14:25 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by Jevon the Tall

It does suffer from the repetitiveness of a lot of generic 80's rock, but this one is done pretty well, and for me I really liked the last track (name escapes me). Glad to see others are getting it now, when I got it he had just finished it. Is it still a CDR or has he started manufacturing it.

As for the Kids stuff, I'll probably pass. Ordering from Canada makes it expensive.

He is a solid artist, and just seems to miss catching on. He's the victim of good press and poor sales.

PS Agree with your assessment of Soul Lift, which I liked, and thought most of it was better than expected. The Roe song was tailor made, and Johnny's version grew on me.

08-28-2003 14:52 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Still a CD-R. He let me have it for $10. Basically, Rick has being teaching me the joys of PayPal the last couple months.... Big Grin

08-28-2003 14:55 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Ubique Epoque

I saw Rick at Lifefest last year, great fun rock-n-roll.

A lot like The Smithereens! Cool

08-28-2003 15:22 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Rock Sombrero
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 08-28-2003

Levon Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Boo.

You must be unmarried, have no children, no pets, and ignore your parents.

Little,Big is Terry's best and most complete album to date with Surfonic a close second.

Sad.

'Cause my mind is like one.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Rock Sombrero: 08-28-2003 23:25.

08-28-2003 23:25 Rock Sombrero is offline Send an Email to Rock Sombrero Search for Posts by Rock Sombrero Add Rock Sombrero to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Jevon is an excellent reviewer and our finest purveyor of flatulence. You were wrong on all counts about him.

Of course, he is wrong about LB. Though the radio shack keyboard made me chuckle.

Do you ever eat at Dunkin Do-nuts?
08-28-2003 23:31 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Rock Sombrero
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 08-28-2003

Used to. Moved elsewhere. It's only the Vietnamese Donut Shops for me these days.

Jevon's review was a review. I'll give you that. This one is better.

I've never heard an artist let the audience so completely into his life as Terry does in Little, Big. It's an honor to be welcomed into his family.

Love you.

'Cause my mind is like one.
08-28-2003 23:44 Rock Sombrero is offline Send an Email to Rock Sombrero Search for Posts by Rock Sombrero Add Rock Sombrero to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

i agree more with your review than Jevon's, but i'd rather not hear so much about Terry's cats.
08-29-2003 03:06 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Sombrero
Used to. Moved elsewhere. It's only the Vietnamese Donut Shops for me these days.

Jevon's review was a review. I'll give you that. This one is better.

I've never heard an artist let the audience so completely into his life as Terry does in Little, Big. It's an honor to be welcomed into his family.

Love you.

Amen!
Bravo! Pleased

08-29-2003 07:50 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Yeah, I kinda saw little big as a glimps into Terry's life.
Or a CD made for his family kind of thing.. in that, I think
it has a lot of emotional quality.

The music, mostly by Rob Watson... is sort of similar to
a Brian Wilson solo album. If you are used to it, it sounds
good... kinda odd if you are not used to it though.

Do I hope that all of Terry's music has that sound from now on?
No, but I am glad he can experiment and go in all kinds of
musical directions. I think that style is fitting for those songs,
and I think Terry always kind of does that.. fits the music to the
lyric. Or lets the song have it's own life, no matter what that may be.

But that's why I like Terry's and DA's music...I want to hear something
new and be shocked everytime I put a CD in. Terry has always
been able to get me to accept styles of music I would otherwise
not listen to. Maybe not at first, but I give em a try.

I especially like "Mommas in the Desert", that is a very cool song.
It kinda shows you exactly where Terry was at at that moment.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-29-2003 09:39 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Mama is a great song!
08-29-2003 09:55 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Ditto Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

'Mamma" is the kinda song that can bring tears.

08-29-2003 10:19 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

The song Little, Big hits me every time I come home from work. I'm floored again by what comes over me when I think of the size of the love I feel!!

August 2005
08-29-2003 11:40 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

RE: Levon Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Sombrero

You must be unmarried, have no children, no pets, and ignore your parents.

Little,Big is Terry's best and most complete album to date

great post ! I agree !

PeTs are FiNe but, Cats Frown . . . oh, well...

08-29-2003 11:46 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Jevon the Tall unloads on LITTLE, big

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH