Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Terry Scott Taylor - John Wayne » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Terry Scott Taylor - John Wayne
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

Terry Scott Taylor - John Wayne Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This album is essential Terry Scott Taylor listening. Musically, it would be hard to find a clear distinction between John Wayne and Daniel Amos records. That is to say that his solo album doesn't drown in singer/songwriter introspection, yet it's not afraid to go there.
There are more than an album's worth of Terry-isms here too...humorous, insightful, and dare I say convicting.
John Wayne ranks among the top of Taylor's best work, and it sounds as vital today (10 years later) as it did when it was first released!

11-28-2008 09:40 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

yup Cool

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
11-28-2008 23:14 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2007

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

yup, yup Cool
11-29-2008 14:45 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm going to dissent here and say it's my least played TST disc. Never really could totally embrace the arranging of the songs. Great lyrics, though, to be sure.

It's what caused me to wait so long before buying "Avocado Faultline", which is now a favorite.

11-29-2008 15:22 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Good, but not really my fav Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There are a few awesome tunes on JW (Writer's Block, title cut, and You Lay Down), but the rest is always fly-by country for me.

My fav TST grew to be BftA. Cohesive, heart-felt, moving on all levels, and Greg Flesh had his fingerprints all over it.
Cool

11-29-2008 18:05 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

i'll take this, and acocado, over any DA release, any day.

my favorite terry is terry solo... or terry with the dogs.....

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

11-29-2008 18:52 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I always felt like Terry's solo stuff comes straight from him, like its a better glimpse into his world. Usually about personal experiences, and I think probably the styles fit his tastes better. The DA music I think is his opportunity to stretch and experiment creativley and the Eddies stuff is usually the guys having fun. I like them all for very different reasons.

A lot of his solo stuff, I sort of have this weird feeling when I listen to it like it was music written by Terry mainly for his family to hear, but we get to hear it too. Like musical letters.

11-29-2008 19:19 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2007

quote:

A lot of his solo stuff, I sort of have this weird feeling when I listen to it like it was music written by Terry mainly for his family to hear, but we get to hear it too. Like musical letters.

Yes. In general, DA ignites my brain cells, The Swirling Eddies tickle my funny bone, but the solo stuff rips my heart out.
11-30-2008 16:11 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
I always felt like Terry's solo stuff comes straight from him, like its a better glimpse into his world. Usually about personal experiences, and I think probably the styles fit his tastes better. The DA music I think is his opportunity to stretch and experiment creativley and the Eddies stuff is usually the guys having fun. I like them all for very different reasons.

So what do you say we get Terry a gig at Branson... you guys are in the neighborhood right? Could be the next PBS special.

Psalm 119:83
11-30-2008 22:38 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

You Lay Down is worth the price of the album. The so-called "country sound" on the rest of the album is, in a word, spectacular.

12-01-2008 12:23 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

I love all of Terry's solo work, but John Wayne is the one I like the least (but just by a hair). It's got some outstanding songs (Writers Block, Hey John Wayne and You Lay Down come to mind), and a lot of good-but-not-great songs. There are no bad songs, but I could probabaly do without Ten Gallon Hat. I see John Wayne as a transitional album (whether intentional or not) from A Briefing for the Ascent to Avocado Faultline, much in the same way Horrendous Disc was a transitional album from Shotgun Angel to Alarma, but I guess in the opposite way (from new wave/alternative to folk/country instead of country to new wave).
A good album, though. If I gave stars, I'd give it 3 and 1/2 (out of 5). But since I don't give stars, that was pointless. Oh, well....

12-01-2008 13:17 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

RE: Terry Scott Taylor - John Wayne Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by colorblind
This album is essential Terry Scott Taylor listening. Musically, it would be hard to find a clear distinction between John Wayne and Daniel Amos records. That is to say that his solo album doesn't drown in singer/songwriter introspection, yet it's not afraid to go there.
There are more than an album's worth of Terry-isms here too...humorous, insightful, and dare I say convicting.
John Wayne ranks among the top of Taylor's best work, and it sounds as vital today (10 years later) as it did when it was first released!

It's true, Ed and Tim are on that one so it's DA's rhythm section, so it rocks and the lyrics are great plus it has oddball songs thrown "ten gallon hat" sort of like "Props" on"Alarma" for example.

When I bought the CD back in 1998 it played a huge part of me getting into DA's music.

01-23-2016 06:34 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J

I had never thought of it that way before, but that is spot on.

01-23-2016 06:36 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
lobo1023 lobo1023 is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 09-07-2006

RE: Terry Scott Taylor - John Wayne Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

All four of my grandchildren were rocked to sleep with me singing Ten Gallon Hat. Never thought of trying Props. My first grand-kid from my son due in March. I'll have to give it a try.
01-23-2016 13:00 lobo1023 is offline Search for Posts by lobo1023 Add lobo1023 to your Buddy List
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

Random thoughts:

"Mr. Flutter" would be improved by using only the first half of the chorus the first time. Having the whole, long chorus so many times drags the song down.

A few songs (including "Boomtown" and "John Wayne," at the very least) sound to me like DA songs in every possible way.

"Big Shot & Miniature Girl" isn't a favorite but the middle section is really cool.

"Ten Gallon Hat" makes me wonder: when exactly did they make music that actually sounded this way authentically?

It's hard for me to pick a favorite, but "Chicken Crosses the Road" and "Too Many Angels" are probably my top picks, by a narrow margin.

01-27-2016 11:50 ftg3plus4 is offline Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013

Had to quickly peruse my music collection. I do remember JW and I remember it was in my rotation years ago when I went jogging and took it on my MiniDisc player (ask your Grandpa and the insane people at Sony what that is!)

It did seem odd and very personal, but everything he ever did seems that way.

"Mr Flutter" strikes home, baby. I don't have precisely those problems, but we have all those knots "in the middle of my gut" for different reasons. It sounds like the insecurities are getting married and having more baby insecurities!

"Too Many Angels" is uptempo and evocative of the many, many ways angels have been portrayed over the ages. I can see the angels buzzing about (like Tinkerbell) when I hear that one. Also serene porcelain cherubs, and death-dealing winged monsters. This one makes my imagination tingle and that's why I like it.

Frankly I don't understand many of the themes, and those are probably the personal songs someone mentioned.

"You Lay Down" is tender and slow.

"You Told Them Exactly What I Didn't Say" is cryptic and (almost) bothersome. I think I listened to it for sake of completeness.

"Chicken Crosses The Road" induces a perfectly silly vision in my head of, guess what! a chicken crossing the road. This imaginary chicken lacks the grace and dignity of your usual chicken (har). The theme (If I have that right?) is touching- everyone making it to Christ, or to Heaven one at a time and each in his own way.

What exactly is "Big Shot & Miniature Girl" about? He and his wife? Throw a brother a bone here.

Speaking of "Ten Gallon Hat" I fixate on the bass line. It sounds like the excellent work of Berger, except he is an imaginary person, as far as I can tell. Is this The Debil singing? That's what I always imagined.

I think "Writer's Block" is the opening track (I think. I MP3 ripped this CD 15 years ago sans track numbers GGHJJKKJHHIIIkkkKKK i could really go for a Windex cocktail about now. ) I just like the song and how it evokes a sort of dark, foreboding mood. I've never written professionally so I don't experience that. The voices and spirits speak to me day and night, so I never struggle for things to write down.

I tend not to take music with me as much as I used to (I am currently mired in "Atlas Shrugged") and since 1998 my (our) listening options have just exploded so I haven't listened end-to-end for years.

I even like the cover and the hippies (what are they exactly?) and the lady is cute in a Mediterranean sort of way.

04-12-2016 17:15 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Woolly Eggwhisk

I recently listened to this album, so I'm digging up this old thread...

An observation on "You Told Them Exactly What I Didn't Say": In the printed lyrics, the second line is "exactly how I didn't say it," which is consistent with the rest of the words. But Terry actually sings, "exactly how I haven't said it." This kind of disrupts the overall flow of the lyrics, so Terry must have had a definite reason for saying it that way. (BTW, Terry thanks Flannery O'Connor in the credits for inspiring this song. Does anyone know anything about this?)

Thoughts in response to the previous post:

<< What exactly is "Big Shot & Miniature Girl" about? He and his wife? Throw a brother a bone here. >>
To me this sounds like it's about a marriage (or a frequently seen marital situation) that Terry had observed and wasn't impressed with. It paints a definite picture of the "Big Shot" -- wealthy and outwardly high-class, but arrogant, dominant and controlling towards his wife. The middle section (which makes me think, "Why isn't there more music that's this interesting?") confuses me, but I've concluded that it may represent the unspoken thoughts of the "miniature girl" herself.

<< Speaking of "Ten Gallon Hat"... Is this The Debil singing? That's what I always imagined. >>
This is an odd and difficult one, but here's how I hear it: The "narrator" is a fallen human like everyone else, but finds himself pressured by his position in life to appear godly and near-perfect. He looks forward to when the perfection will be real (in heaven) and there's no more need to keep up appearances.

<< I even like the cover and the hippies (what are they exactly?) >>
Random Californians?

09-13-2022 09:50 ftg3plus4 is offline Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

It was a long time before I knew that there is an airport in Orange County named after John Wayne, with a big bronze statue no less.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jimmy Brown: 09-13-2022 11:28.

09-13-2022 11:27 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

That would explain some of the lyrics to "Hey John Wayne," wouldn't it? ("It's good to see you when I get off the plane," etc.)

09-13-2022 13:34 ftg3plus4 is offline Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Terry Scott Taylor - John Wayne

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH