Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Buddy Killen is dead » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Buddy Killen is dead
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jnordmoe jnordmoe is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 06-17-2004

Buddy Killen is dead Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Buddy Killen - the guy who owns the rights to DFBB and other lost treasures is dead at age 73.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../OBITS/61101003

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- W.D. "Buddy" Killen, a music publisher, songwriter, record producer and musician who became one of the most influential figures in the Nashville entertainment business, died Wednesday. He was 73.

He was recently diagnosed with liver and pancreatic cancer.....

So this begs the question- what becomes of the KMG library now?

Nord Cool
(back to lurk status)
11-01-2006 13:26 jnordmoe is offline Send an Email to jnordmoe Search for Posts by jnordmoe Add jnordmoe to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I believe his son and another person took over KMG a year or two ago.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-01-2006 13:37 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

do they have better business sense then he did? Confused

bobd

11-01-2006 13:47 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Strange Animal
quote:

well, i certainly hope so, or may they get striken with illness much sooner than the father. Mad Frown

JK, alright already! Red Face

may they have good health AND good business sense! Smile

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
11-01-2006 14:27 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

you know, when I looked up those cracker lyrics earlier, i saw they were unhappy with their label and found out they were getting ready to release another greatest hits album. They re-recorded the songs and released their own version THE SAME DAY! Big Grin How's that for flipping the label the bird! Big Grin

Of course their touring situation was a little different than DA Crying

Got a few miles left ...

11-01-2006 14:31 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Strange Animal
quote:

Not sure... last I heard. they were trying to revive KMG as a label and bring back a lot of the titles... aside from the "best of" and a few other things, I haven't seen a lot of their titles around so I don't know if its still in the works or if thats all they're planning to do.

We are going to contact them about the DA/Eddies titles soon - although we don't want to do it too soon now I guess. We've been in talks with another label for the last few months, but KMG will probably be next in line.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-01-2006 14:56 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

>>"do they have better business sense then he did?"

Well, there's a couple of different ways of looking at this. Perhaps he did have good business sense -- I mean, it was well known that DFBB sold very poorly (it was mentioned in CMM, for crying out loud) -- something like 2000 copies. Heck, I bought the LP and the CD (when it came out a bit later) -- so that accounts for two. A rerelease of a 20-year old CD might _not_ be a good business move from KMG's perspective.

However, he did take a chance on purchasing Frontline -- maybe he saw something there that made his colleagues think "what is he thinking?". I don't know if he lost money on that deal in the end or not. He probably wasn't a DA fan, which made him look at rereleases purely on cost vs reward. Yeah, he probably heard from DA fans, but every artist he published has fans and they all pull for their favorites.

The guy did what he thought was good for his company and, hopefully, his successors will do the same.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by voxrob: 11-02-2006 13:25.

11-02-2006 13:24 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

KMG owns all the Jacob's Trouble stuff as well. I have longed desired to gain ownership of our catalog or at least some sort of license to do something with it. Even if it could just be made available on iTunes that would be great. Audiori - let me know how it goes if you speak to them about the DA stuff.
11-02-2006 13:55 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
Ubique Epoque

I'm not sure (or can't remember) who runs this site, but here's an interesting press release they had. Apparently there were originally going to be 3 DA cds released and Our Personal Favorite World Famous hits was the first ...

Anybody know anymore about this?

=============

http://www.danielamos.net/colpressrelease.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 22, 1998

KMG RELEASES DANIEL AMOS COLLECTION

NASHVILLE, TENN. -- KMG Records announces the upcoming release of Daniel Amos' Our Personal Favorite World
Famous Hits scheduled to be in stores October 20. This is the first release of a three-volume set; additional volumes are
scheduled for release in 1999.

"Daniel Amos is one of the true pioneers of alternative Christian music," says KMG Executive VP Kent Songer. "We wanted a
valid retrospective that could introduce DA to a new audience and at the same time give their most loyal fans a collection they
will want."

Daniel Amos, aka DA, and its songwriting genius Terry Taylor have carved themselves a truly unique niche in the history of not
only contemporary Christian music but in rock and roll. With a history that reaches back into the earliest days of contemporary
Christian music, and with a future that has no foreseeable close, Daniel Amos has certainly earned a place as one of Christian
music's most important bands. Not only has DA recorded more than 250 songs on more than a dozen critically acclaimed,
ground breaking albums, but their influence is also felt throughout the music industry. Groups as diverse as The Insyderz, the
Choir, Prayer Chain, Rich Young Ruler, and mainstream bands the Ocean Blue and Collective Soul have all counted Daniel
Amos as inspiration for their music.

Our Personal Favorite World Famous Hits will include 22 tracks, including one previously unreleased song:
Darn Floor/Big Bite
Unattainable Earth
Walls of Doubt
Alarma
Grace Is the Smell of Rain
If You Want To
Safety Net
It's the 80s
Strong Points, Weak Points
Big Warm Sweet Interior Glowing
Tracking the Amorous Man
I'll Get Over It
Broken Ladders
Buffalo Hills
Noel
Here I Am
When Everyone Wore Hats
Ain't Gonna Fight It
Soon
Father's Arms
Twilight Love

"Daniel Amos could be the most significant band in the history of Christian modern rock," raves Chris Well, editor in chief of
VoxCorp, publishers of 7Ball, Release, Profile and Echo Magazines. "I consider them on par with the great writers and artists
of any genre, of any category, of any time."

KMG is based in Nashville, Tenn., and is owned and operated by Buddy Killen, a 40-year veteran of the music business. In
January 1998, KMG acquired the assets of Frontline Records. KMG artists include According to John, The Insyderz,
Everyday Life, Rick Altizer, and Heather Miller; special projects include Surfonic Water Revival, and the Classic Archives
collection, re-issues from Frontline masters featuring two projects in one package for $12.99.

Got a few miles left ...

11-02-2006 15:42 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

RE: Buddy Killen is dead Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jnordmoe
(back to lurk status)

Cool

11-03-2006 07:53 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Buddy Killen is dead

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH