Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » TST related Album of the Week - The Swirling Eddies / OE » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page TST related Album of the Week - The Swirling Eddies / OE
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Eleanor Eleanor is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-641.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

TST related Album of the Week - The Swirling Eddies / OE Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

o.e. o.e. we look for a sign from you
12-28-2004 11:04 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
Platyhelminth

Thread Starter Thread Started by Eleanor
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Come on fellas, let's have a burger bash!"
Berger Roy Al, 1987
12-28-2004 11:07 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool

12-28-2004 11:16 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Platyhelminth

Thread Starter Thread Started by Eleanor
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm gonna have to go thru ZD again to see if OE has knocked it off the top.

This album has some of Terry's best lyrics and I love the music. There is not a loser in the bunch!

"she'll be laughing at my jokes
yes, she could always get the joke
i'll tell the world i love her"
12-28-2004 11:24 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

OE is amazing. I wonder what the new Swirling Eddies will contain Tongue

12-28-2004 11:28 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

OE used to be my hands-down favorite. ZD has come on strong lately. I think ZD edges out OE right now, but when I get sick of listening to it in the car, OE will probably catch back up.

12-28-2004 15:37 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor
I'm gonna have to go thru ZD again to see if OE has knocked it off the top.

This album has some of Terry's best lyrics and I love the music. There is not a loser in the bunch!

"she'll be laughing at my jokes
yes, she could always get the joke
i'll tell the world i love her"

OE better than ZDCool

12-28-2004 15:48 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Up! disc of the week! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I wil start OE tonight when I drive out to pratice! Pleased

12-28-2004 15:49 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

I think ZD wins by a very small margin.

12-28-2004 15:50 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

ZD has some great songs (God went Bowling is better than anything on OE) but it's too "hit or miss" for me!

12-28-2004 15:52 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

I love the extremely strange lyrics of ZD. I even love Nightmare at the Elks Lodge Pleased

12-28-2004 15:55 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Space Ghost
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-228.jpg

Registration Date: 02-07-2003

Believe it or not, ZD is one of those CDs I listened to once and never broke out again...yes, even to this day (and I got it when it was released). It was one of those "curve ball" releases, something you're not expecting, and I never gave it another chance. I've done the same with a handful of other albums over the years, only to discover their brilliance later (DFBB sat in my collection for nearly 10 years before I gave it a listen...and it now ranks in my Top Five All-Time Albums). Horrendous Disc? Shotgun Angel? Believe it or not, I could count on one hand the number of songs from those releases that I've heard...and I've had them in my possession for a decade and a half! One of these days I'll probably put them in the player on a whim (just like DFBB) and I'll finally "get it."

Am I weird or what? That goes without saying, I suppose. The fact of the matter is, though, that I came to the Terry Taylor party in the late 80's, early 90's. The first two Eddies albums were my primary introduction to his music. Kalhoun was the first 'new' DA release I got a hold of, and while I thought there were some memorable tunes, it wasn't until Motorcycle that I truly fell in love with TT's genius. Since then, I've kept up with the releases as they come out, liking some, and not liking others. And yet, Terry Taylor firmly holds an iconic place in my own personal totem of artists I hold near and dear to my heart. Go figure.

SG

Makes the color of right

Gravity and distance
Change the passage of light
Gravity and distance
Change the color of right

12-28-2004 17:31 Space Ghost is offline Send an Email to Space Ghost Search for Posts by Space Ghost Add Space Ghost to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

RE: TST related Album of the Week - The Swirling Eddies / OE Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The sheer cheekiness of a song like "Elimination" is pure delight. I mean, what other band could celebrate their detractors saying things like "Go to heck!"? Shocked

BTW, ZD gets my vote for best Eddies album.
12-28-2004 22:05 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
PuP

ZD should probably be proclaimed best SE album if only for "The Twist". Red Face

12-28-2004 22:09 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Smells Like Ed Norton Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
ZD should probably be proclaimed best SE album if only for "The Twist". Red Face

And the only slightly less magnificent "Art Carney's Dream." "The Twist" is one of the few songs I've ever cried while listening to. Crying
12-28-2004 22:15 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
PuP

RE: Smells Like Ed Norton Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
And the only slightly less magnificent "Art Carney's Dream."

I love the line:

"Boy, you sure do smell like sin and
this place is pretty crowded
but I think we can squeeze you in"

12-28-2004 23:12 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

After hearing Outdoor Elvis tonight I have to say it blows Zoom Daddy out of the water.

Rubber Sky is much cooler than anything on ZD! Pleased

Gene's voice when it cracks slightly on "Billy" gets me every time.

Even "throw aways" like "Don't Hate yourself" are better than anything on ZD. Tongue

12-28-2004 23:20 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by PuP

Warmed over song (take your pick) by The Church! Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 12-28-2004 23:21.

12-28-2004 23:21 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
After hearing Outdoor Elvis tonight I have to say it blows Zoom Daddy out of the water.

Red Face

"can swim with ZD" is one thing, but "blows [it] out of the water"??? Red Face

quote:
"Rubber Sky is much cooler than anything on ZD! Pleased "

Uh, dennis, "Rubber Sky" is way cool, but I think you meant to say LS.... Roll Eyes

quote:
Even "throw aways" like "Don't Hate yourself" are better than anything on ZD. Tongue

Now y'r just being stooopit .... Red Face

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
12-29-2004 07:30 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

ZD is a great record- but I also have to go with OE

Its just got so much packed into it- and lyrically it makes more sense to me.
I mean songs like Urban Legends, OE, Pulpit masters Driving in England and maybe especially Blowin Smoke (My wife knows me that well)
are about things that I could relate to at the time

- the message of ZD is a bit more obscure (I think we can all agree) and I'll confess I got OE when it came out ..and this was some pretty jaw droppin l C stuff in 1986..

(I got zd in about 2000..and it didnt hook as deep at the time

OE was maybe more left than even ZD for its timeframe
so thats my little pin headed observation.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
12-29-2004 07:54 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » TST related Album of the Week - The Swirling Eddies / OE

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH