Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » BBQs (and the precious little left of my sanity) » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page BBQs (and the precious little left of my sanity)
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

BBQs (and the precious little left of my sanity) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm curious about the experience some of you other BBQ "promoters" have had.

I keep thinking that there is no way that I should be involved in bringing either Terry or Mike to my town, let alone both. And I keep seeing stumbling blocks that will likely prevent them from showing up. But everytime we (I'm not arranging this on my own) run into a block, it simply disappears and we're on to the next phase of planning. It honestly feels like this is God causing this to happen and I'm just along for the ride.

Now, everytime I read the reviews of the BBQs so far, I get more amazed at the power of bringing people together to hear these two perform their ministry. I'm gittin' all a-twitterpated waiting for the 17th!

I just wondered if anyone else had the same feeling, or if maybe I've crossed the line from "fan" to "stark, raving fanatic"? Wink

In either case, please pray for God's continued blessing on the tour and on our small little part of it. Smile

08-04-2003 18:07 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey Pup. Well let's see. I don't think I did anything in preparation for this show that God didn't prepare a special fun, stressful, or awe inspiring uncertainty for.

It all started with Burleigh Drummond. My partner (and the real glue of August 1st), Jeff James, wanted a full band. For some reason he didn't believe that two guitars would be enough (he's a brand new fan, forgive him), so he got it into his head that he would find other musicians to back them up. I turned my nose up saying that there's no way a group would ever want to show up at a gig only to find a back up band of unknown soldiers ready to butcher their songs. I also told him that if there's a drummer then there has to be a bassist. He wouldn't listen. He finally said, "Okay, but if I could find a drummer who knows all their songs would you let me pursue it?" I rolled my eyes and reluctantly said yes.

The next day he called me into his office and said, "Who's your Daddy?" The night before as he rode the train home he was listening to the Best Of The Lost Dogs and saw Burleighs name on the sleeve. He recognized the name, but couldn't figure out from where. In the middle of the night it dawned on him. Years ago he produced a video called "A Visit With Santa". Burleigh Drummond was the percussionist on that video. He called Burleigh and, long story short, Burleigh wanted to come out and play with the guys! He said he was really connected to the guys through Gene, so when Gene died they all lost touch.

Jeff asked if Burleigh knew a bass player and he said he'd try Tim Chandler. Chandler already told me no, so I told Jeff he'd still need to find a bass player to round out the sound.

It wasn't much time later that Rob Watson called me and offered to play the bass line with his left hand and the keyboard parts with the right ala Ray Manserek (sp?).

Rob invited me up to Eagle Rock to Rob's and Carolee's and we brought them chips and a sixer of Corona. We filmed them giving tribute to Terry and Mike(we ran out of time to show the footage) and Rob got excited about how this would all turn out. The next day he emailed all of the artists that we loved telling them that we were putting together a Terry Tribute concert and to call us to set up an interview.

The next day Marty Deikmeier(sp?) sent an email, then Jeff Elbel from Ping. Within days of getting Burleigh we had 3 bass players to choose from.

The great unknown was if Terry and Mike show up and find out that we assembled a backup band without their preparation or permission, would they be annoyed or angry and say no way. I heard the conversation when we got there and they seemed surprised and glad to have their friends there to play with them. (unfortunately, Marty couldn't make it)

That's was just one of God's great surprises that made the preparation of the August 1st show so much his and not mine.

I'll dish more later. You'll love the Amy Grant one.

August 2005
08-04-2003 19:07 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool stories...............

I'm sure Commander Cote has a few things to share on this..........right, Commander??

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

08-04-2003 22:00 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I'm loving all these stories too. Please, some of us aren't gonna get to any of these this time around. Please add things from your perspective, we get to live it vicariously. And its all good Big Grin

08-04-2003 22:14 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
PuP

Thread Starter Thread Started by PuP

quote:
Originally posted by zippetydoodaddy
"...a special fun, stressful, or awe inspiring uncertainty for."

Big Grin
That's it! That's the feeling!

OK. Time for the Amy Grant story now. I mean it. I have to wait for my BBQ and my patience is used up! Frown

08-04-2003 23:30 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
brd2yrmother
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-21-2003

I loved the Dick Clark stuff though. That was great. It must be nice to have connections.
08-05-2003 10:35 brd2yrmother is offline Send an Email to brd2yrmother Search for Posts by brd2yrmother Add brd2yrmother to your Buddy List
Toque Boy Toque Boy is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 12-08-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
I'm loving all these stories too. Please, some of us aren't gonna get to any of these this time around. Please add things from your perspective, we get to live it vicariously. And its all good Big Grin

I'm with Ron on this. I'd love to catch a bar-b-q but it does not look like it will happen. I do and would love to hear about them though.
08-06-2003 13:29 Toque Boy is offline Send an Email to Toque Boy Search for Posts by Toque Boy Add Toque Boy to your Buddy List
PuP

Thread Starter Thread Started by PuP

I'll be sure to post a full report after the 17th show. It won't be like Zip's show, but I'm definitely looking forward to it!

08-06-2003 13:44 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » BBQs (and the precious little left of my sanity)

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH