Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Horrendous Disc makes #4 on the list... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Horrendous Disc makes #4 on the list...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Horrendous Disc makes #4 on the list... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

http://greatestchristianalbums.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/4-horrendous-disc-d
aniel-amos/
03-02-2010 02:11 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sweet!

03-02-2010 07:39 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

An interesting read.

03-02-2010 12:07 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
An interesting read.

yep but that list is awful, but I guess its his personal favorites list.

For instance I think Mark Heard cd which should have made the list was "second hand"
I prefer the seventy sevens cd instead of all fall down (they are both good). I would have made a lot of changes in that list but thats me. number one is very questionable. Randy's best cd is not welcome to paradise. But definitely selecting the 10 best christian albums of all time is not an easy task, that's for sure!!

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
03-09-2010 19:53 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

That's the "fun" about lists like that is talking about what you may or may not agree with.

I prefer Sonehill's The Sky is Falling myself.

It was cool to see Outdoor Elvis on the list!

03-09-2010 20:52 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Another odd pick was "Kiss of Life" over "Shaded Pain."

Kiss of Life is a fine album which I an very fond of, but I would never say it's Knott's best.

Rocket and a Bomb along with Walkin' up the Dead or Cush or Aunt Betty's are all much better albums than Kiss of Life.

Any other thoughts?

03-11-2010 17:32 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

well steve taylor definitely has other very good albums, I think for me Squint is his best!!! and then I predict which I feel are superior to meltdown.

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
03-11-2010 20:44 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
Another odd pick was "Kiss of Life" over "Shaded Pain."

Kiss of Life is a fine album which I an very fond of, but I would never say it's Knott's best.

Rocket and a Bomb along with Walkin' up the Dead or Cush or Aunt Betty's are all much better albums than Kiss of Life.

Any other thoughts?

definitely Shaded Pain or Grace Shaker for me. (though I might like Wakin' Up the Dead better than both, the other two just seem more powerful overall.

03-11-2010 21:43 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by pegotico
well steve taylor definitely has other very good albums, I think for me Squint is his best!!! and then I predict which I feel are superior to meltdown.

Squint is third, after I Predict at #2 and Chagal at #1 by far... in my opinion.

03-11-2010 21:46 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
quote:
Originally posted by pegotico

Squint is third, after I Predict at #2 and Chagal at #1 by far... in my opinion.

I agree with you Ron E, but any of these would have been a better pick than Meltdown.
I really like that "Liver" album where he reworks a lot of the old stuff.

03-11-2010 21:49 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

"I really like that "Liver" album where he reworks a lot of the old stuff."

A great album. It ends very interestingly....

03-11-2010 22:18 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Thread Starter Thread Started by wakachiwaka

Well, I think part of what the author was going for, rather than a "best-of-artist" assessment, was to evaluate the impact of a particular release upon the Christian sub-culture, as well as (in some cases) upon the greater culture-at-large. In that context, many of his selections make a bit more sense: "Meltdown" might not be Steve Taylor's best album, but it was an album that made a lot of waves when it was first released and challenged the way the Church thought about "Christian" music and its function.
03-11-2010 23:17 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Yes I suppose you are right!

03-12-2010 01:55 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Thread Starter Thread Started by wakachiwaka

Likewise his pick for #1 - let's face it: "Only Visiting This Planet" typically tops every such list ever compiled, and mainly due to its historical significance. While it's debatable that it's Norman's most compelling work of all time, or that it's the greatest rock album ever to bear a Gospel message, there's very little question that it's an album that broke down a lot of barriers between Church and street cultures, and, again, challenged believers in particular to rethink the role of music in worship, evangelism, social concern, and everyday living. It also answered its own question "Why should the devil have all the good music?" by having the absolute best production quality on a gospel record to that date.

It's also the album that most fully came to define Norman's modus operandi and the first to bring his work into sharp focus. Many of the selections on the list meet that description, i.e., the choices for Stonehill, Heard, Tonio K., D.A., etc.
03-12-2010 03:35 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yeah "Meltdown" got a lot of notice when it came out, not much different than "I want to be a Clone," more well made, but stylistically about the same. But "I want to be a Clone" didn't get much notice at all. "Squint" came out and was almost missed by a lot of fans because it wasn't promoted very much. "Chagall Guevara" was on MCA but didn't have a lot of backing and wasn't really noticed by the general market at all either, and virtually ignored by the Christian market.

Terry almost produced Meltdown, he was asked to.

03-12-2010 07:39 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
Likewise his pick for #1 - let's face it: "Only Visiting This Planet" typically tops every such list ever compiled, and mainly due to its historical significance. While it's debatable that it's Norman's most compelling work of all time, or that it's the greatest rock album ever to bear a Gospel message, there's very little question that it's an album that broke down a lot of barriers between Church and street cultures, and, again, challenged believers in particular to rethink the role of music in worship, evangelism, social concern, and everyday living. It also answered its own question "Why should the devil have all the good music?" by having the absolute best production quality on a gospel record to that date.

It's also the album that most fully came to define Norman's modus operandi and the first to bring his work into sharp focus. Many of the selections on the list meet that description, i.e., the choices for Stonehill, Heard, Tonio K., D.A., etc.

the problem here is that we are not talking about the most influential but the best. For instance welcome to paradise from RS was very influential but not his best. That is absurd to put the most influential as the best. Sgt. peppers was very influential and it mark a before/after in music but it was not their best. Abbey Road is superior in every aspect. I can deal with 2 lists, one for the most influential and two the best!!!

Steve Taylor's latter albums are definitely superior in every way. Usually the less popular music from artist tend to be the best for example the before era from the beatles was more popular than the after sgt peppers era but it was not the best. Their music pass from being popular and good to being less popular and a masterpiece.

03-12-2010 08:34 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

"Best" is a subjective term, most influential or the one that made the biggest effect on the culture is something that is more tangible.

I mean a lot of people say "Darn Floor" is the best DA album, it was the least popular though. "Shotgun Angel" was the most popular most likely, and a lot more people say it's the best DA album. Everyone uses different measurements to determine what they 'best' means.

Its like Sgt Pepper I would agree was the biggest Beatles album, or the one that effected the music culture the most. But in my opinion, its not their 'best' album from the standpoint of listenability.

03-12-2010 09:13 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

It would take a lot of cold, clinical analysis to make "best" an absolute term. Miley Cyrus has a "best of" album coming at the end of the year. How does that rate?

Like I commented on that blog, there's plenty of room on the internet for people to post what they feel is the best Christian Albums of all time, and they should take a shot at it. Exploring this musical world with some sense of validity as artistic expression is a good thing. Just know that for every post you put up that calls Kalhoun Da's game-changing release, there will be five comments saying:

a) I don't agree with you so you're stupid, jealous, a heathen
b) Car - Mann was the pinnacle of the form - denying it makes you a heathen
c) Da is a bunch of heathens - you are too... You heathen.

This shouldn't dissuade anyone from putting up their Top 50, but know it's a personal choice and there are plenty of folks itching to argue.
03-12-2010 09:29 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ceremonial Kernel

Did The Choir make that guys list? I went through it once, but, now that I'm thinking about it, I don't remember seeing them on there. (Certainly every one of their albums should rank higher than any DeGarmo & Key record....)

And that's a FACT, not just my opinion....

03-12-2010 10:59 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I see it on there now... at 22 (and 11 spots lower than a D&K album...yuck!). Chase the Kangaroo--a truly great album.

03-12-2010 11:12 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Horrendous Disc makes #4 on the list...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH